What is the best band in the ProgPower?

Originally posted by maestro_al

Wow - how did you get it so soon even in Japan? Their website have only just published the cover art, but there was no mention of release. It just says it will be out in either May or June.

:confused:

In Japan, Hunters and Prey were released on 24, April ( yesterday it was).
Japanese release costs more than the imported ones (as you might know), so record company has to make it different, like ealier release than overseas, with Japanese vonus tracks, booklet with japanese translation of the lyrics etc. plus this time, as they are coming to Japan in June, it will be a good promotion to release it earlier than June. i believe it will be released in June, in the other countries.

For those who is curious, i'll write down a short note about this CD
songs;
1. Live and Learn
-Heavy tune with impressive guitar intro
2. Breeding Heart
-originally for the japanese vonus track of Rebirth. beautiful ballad
3. Hunters and Prey
-Latin flavoured tune with Gunter Werno on keyboard. Aquiles's percusion and Kiko's guitar solo are superb. Aquiles is also one of the composers of this song.
4. Eyes of Christ
-good melodic rock with catchy verse.
5. Rebirth (acoustic edit version)
-I think Edu's most strong point is that he can sing these kind of ballad soulfully. Simple sound made it more outstanding.
6. Heroes of Sand (acoustic version)
-It is softer and milder in this version, but with the arrangement of the vocal can express the meaning of this song even more.
7. Mama
-Surprised! it's an old hit tune from Genesis.
8. Casa e casador (Hunters and Prey portuguese version-
-sorry i don't have letter something like C in my computer,so i put S there) well, 3 sung in Portuguese. lol but i really love Aquiles's work here!

and it has a multimedia file, which contains;
*Photos::: exclusive 4 albums, each has about 20 photos in it.
*screen saver ::: stutue of Rebirth and moving horizens.. very beautiful!
*video ::: live film of song Rebirth, at Brazil. maybe this soundtrack is "Rebirth acoustic edit version", i think..
*wall paper ::: 6 kind of wallpaper (members, logos, etc)

I can't believe there aren't more posts for PoS! I mean as much as I love ALL the bands there (I went out and already bought CD's for the bands I never heard playing at PP3.0), PoS is going to absolutely runaway with the show...

Blind Guardian got me into Euro Metal almost three years ago...I get goosebumps thinking about them playing live...although I am not impressed with the new one...

I can't wait to see Gamma Ray, Edguy, and Angra...

I am sure that Reading Zero Hour :) will surprise, I just got a CD of each band, haven't heard them through, but like what I've heard...

Devin Townsend, his style is amazing, can't get over the vocals...

Rhapsody is a must for 4.0!!!

This years "most anticipated band" award has to go to Edguy. And the fact that Avantasia II will be out in time for the show in November makes it all the more exciting.

Edguy are probably the most important power metal band these days. I only say this because Blind Guardian may have peaked with NIME, and Gamma Ray definately took a big slide with No World Order (aka Painkiller). Granted, Angra's Rebirth is great, but Edguy's Mandrake steals all the thunder IMO. Just when I thought they couldn't get better than Theatre of Salvation, Mandrake came along with a darker & more mature edge. :D

Originally posted by KamelotGuardian

However I have no heard much Edguy? Any album/song recommendations?

Anything by Edguy is great but I would go with Mandrake since their current tour is in support of this album. And you should get Avantasia anyway just because it is flawless. :headbang:

Originally posted by KamelotGuardian
Definately Blind Guardian...

However I have no heard much Edguy? Any album/song recommendations?

in addition of Mandrake ( this title song will be the highlight of the night for sure), it was quite interesting for me to listen to the different arranges between now and 7 years before, so i recommend Savage Poetry (2CDs of new recording and original recording in 1995) too. you will be amazed by their talent, they were like 16-17 when they composed these songs! and you can find their improvement in singing and playing, arranging.

and it's very kind of you Edu. are you originally from Brazil?

cool! i've heard that Andre Matos said that there are not so many great metal singers in Brazil (yet he thinks Edu is great, and told that choosing Edu was one of the best choice Angra could do) but i'm always impressed by the drummers from Brazil. Aquiles is a great drummer i think, and the former Angra, present Shaman drummer too. i saw Krisiun last summer, their drummer was also great. Do you play any instrument?

Well Andre Matos said a lot of stupid things...i wouldn't belive in half what he said. he still thinking he is the best brazilian heavy metal singer because the Iron Maiden thing.

Originally posted by LucioArgento
I read somewhere that Tobias Sammet is appearing on the new Shaman album (duet).

http://www.shamanonline.com.br/index_eng.htm
here's the article about this event on the news section.

Edu, Andre talked about the split up with Angra when he did the fan meeting here, and he didn't say anything bad about Angra there.. and i think i could understand the reson why they split up into two listening to new Shaman songs. teir split up is the neccesary cell division for both of them to grow up much bigger. Andre is one of the greatest vocalists nowadays, he is born-to-be-a-musician. and i only listened the 4 songs from their new album Ritual, but i can tell it's going to be the great album. to tell the truth, i thought new singer Edu might be a "developing" vocalist(i hope this makes sense..), hearing the live video in Brazil. Yet, without his singing, i'm not sure if i fully enjoyed Rebirth as much as i do. i mean, if Andre have sung the songs in Rebirth, i might have not been attracted to their music this much. Edu's voice can reach the depth of one's heart. and i can feel the good atmosphere from new Angra. that's the best thing i think. i do hope each of the band can enjoy their success in long term.

BTW i saw Edguy and Rhapsody the other night, they kicked major ass in Japan! Fabio is a great singer indeed.. Toby was great too, he reminded me of Bruce Dickinson on number of the beast tour.. he kept on running without the single still moment, and never out of tune! :) but the Felix the drummer might have had some problem, maybe leg cramps? they played the songs like Fallen Angels, Tears of A Mandrake, Fairytale, Vain glory opera etc.
wonderful stage it was! and i want to tell you again, Fabio is amazing! and the new bassist for Rhapsody is fantastic in my opinion!

junnie - did Rhapsody bring an orchestra? How did they accomplish the orchestral pieces and choirs?

I am so jealous! Sounds like it was fantastic. I also think Alex Strapoli is sooo underrated as a musician/composition writer.

Originally posted by maestro_al
junnie - did Rhapsody bring an orchestra? How did they accomplish the orchestral pieces and choirs?]

no, the orchestral pieces were taped. they brought one female backing vocal and male backing vocal/flutist. actually 8 people on the stage, Luca, Alex S, Alex (drummer), Fabio, new bassist, and guest(or permanent?) French guitarist. Backdrop was the castle, lot of smoke, each of the b/v sometimes wore the masks, holding the swords, very theatrical the stage was.

]
I am so jealous! Sounds like it was fantastic. I also think Alex Strapoli is sooo underrated as a musician/composition writer.

Luca and he write great songs yes! they don't do the sloppy solos, but their musicmanship are very steady, i can't believe they didn't play on stage until 2000! (i think i've read it somewhere?) not sure.. i can't confirm this as it's morning and i have to run now!

hope you will see thier stage in near future too Al! :)

When you get time, let us know the Rhapsody playlists!

I can't get Power of the Dragonflame out of my CD player these days - Gargoyles, Angels of Darkness is such an epic.

ok Al, i was in the first row, and with the heat and pressure from the back i was almost dying! so i couldn't make the memo or take a picture etc.. (actually i took one very blurry steal shot of Edguy lol)
here's the setlist from my friend...

EDGUY

1. Fallen Angel
2. Tears of A Mandrake
3. Untill We Rise Again
4. The Headless Game
5. Wake Up the King
6. Vain Glory Opera
7. Fairytale

RHAPSODY

1. In Tenebris
2. Knightrider of Doom
3. Emerald Sword
4. March of the Swordmaster
5. Wisdom of Kings
6. Legendary Tales
7. Land of Immortal
8. Lamento Eroico
9. Holy Thunderforce
(Drum + Bass Solo)
10.Village of Dwarves
11.The Wizards Last Rhymes
12.Lux Triumphans
13.Dawn of Victory
14.Power of the Dragonflame
15.The Legend Ends

Again, this sounds like a great concert. I can only wish Rhapsody will come to the US soon!

Interesting to see Edguy play Wake up the King - hope they play that at PP3!

When Glenn was first rounding up the bands for PP 3.0, he was trying to get Rhapsody to join the bill, but they couldn't make it. That would have been the icing on the already-near-perfect cake!!

Well... there's always next year. hint, hint.

As far as the current roster, I think Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, and Silent Force are my three main reasons for attending this year. But I look forward to seeing what each and every band has in store for us.
After all, as noted elsewhere (and by myself numerous times) Angel Dust and Steel Prophet took the show last year. And Steel Prophet was a last-minute replacement. Blew me away!

STAY TRUE!!!

~Hoyt