What is the best band in the ProgPower?

i'm also a big fan of Steel Prophet. their new album will be released in this summer, so it would have been the great promotion if they could make it this year too. i haven't had the chance to see their live yet, so still hoping i can see them playing at PP again! :)

Junnie...right after Andre and the other two guys broke up with angra, he wrote a letter and in this letter he said a lot of stupid things, one that i remember he said him and the other two guys didn't have the name Angra anymore but sure they had all the rest...I think Andre Matos is a great singer I can;t compare to Edu Falaschi they have totaly diferent styles.
I feel the same thing about Rebirth i don't know if i would like as much as i like if was Andre's vocal...

Personally, I can not WAIT to see Gamma Ray. That's just going to be awesome for me.

Obviously I think PoS is going to be great and amazing live, but it's going to be TOUGH for them to follow after Blind Guardians set. I just think that the power BG is going to display on stage is just going to be incredible. PoS is more about emotion/atmospheric music to me, and they should've gone before BG (which I'm sure they would've if BG didn't have to leave for Canada), it would've also split up the roster a little better in my opinion (again, I know it probably would've if BG didn't have to leave).

Either way, I don't care who plays when, who's better than who, etc, I'm going to love every band there, and I can't WAIT!!

It's unfortunate due to the BG schedule, but if I was PoS, I would be crapping myself having to follow a band as big and powerful as BG.

Re: the Angra comments, Rebirth was the first Angra album I heard! :D I have to say, although Holy Land is good, Rebirth is awesome! I think it is so much better including the vocals.

The power emphasis this year has the buzz going. Angra are soooo talented - their music is really unique, and Edguy are just unstoppable.

I may just have to fly out to Wacken this year, because November is almost 2003 goddamn it!

Originally posted by Edu_Falaschi
I feel the same thing about Rebirth i don't know if i would like as much as i like if was Andre's vocal...

i'm glad to know you took it the right way what i wanted to say.. or i hope so :)
most of the musicians must regard themselves as "I rule the fucking world" more or less, and i think Andre might be the typical one.. i don't think it's bad, as a musician. i think he is awesome, and agree with you, we can't compare these two singers. but .. don't tell Andre lol that i thank him to have left Angra, if he didn't, we might not have discovered Edu! :heh:
well i've been always thinking, that the band thing and marridge are similar. there's love and hate in it :D they were like right after the divorce and Andre might have said the mean things, but well, they don't have to be enemies, hope they'll respect each others' ways and it was great for me to know that Andre admitted Edu's talent and making great music himself.

AL! are you going to Wacken??? this time i'm jealousssssss!!!
(glad to hear you like Rebirth! that album was the best one for me in 2001!)
:hotjump:

I can't wait to see Angra play, the rebirth cd is just amazing, their best cd. I can't stand Andre Matos' vocals, they get annoying, and I don't think they are emotional, he just whines a lot with high screeches. Edu is such a great singer, just perfect for me. Aquilles is flawless, and amazing, and very tasteful in his playing.

PoS, I agree, I would hate to have to follow BG. I personally think Edguy and PoS should change spots. That would be the best thing, cause I rather see Edguy play a long set over PoS. PoS has already been in the states, and probably will come again soon, maybe tour with DT sometime hear, so why not let Edguy play last instead of them. It seems like more people rather see Edguy do a longer set over PoS.

Not for nothing...I do enjoy Edguy, yes, I have all their albums, yes...but...PoS is just much much much better...I think the only band that has any right to headline over PoS would be BG, but their not...

And why would PoS be scared??? They headlined the first one over Symphony X...and from what I understand people were weeping in the crowd...the BG/PoS back to back will be something that will be remembered by us all as one of the most magical moments in Metal Music History...

It's a toss-up between Pain of Salvation and Devin Townshend. Both Daniel Gildenlöw and Devy are absolute musical geniuses. I'm also looking forward to Gamma Ray, Edguy, and Blind Guardian too, but Devy and PoS will no doubt steal the show.

To answer the last question, PoS played on a different night than Symphony X. Many people claim that PoS stole the ENTIRE 2 day event though. I have to agree, but then I like PoS far more than Symphony X to begin with. The performance by PoS was legendary though.

Junnie do u know the band Viper? It was old Andre's band they made some good songs try to find the mp3 Living for the night.
I actually knew Edu Falaschi before he used to sing in another band called Symbols but they weren't very famous. I hope that after the ProgPower more people start to like Angra here in U.S. even if i think it is imposible the only brazilian band that seems to be famous here is Sepultura...and i think they are just trash.
Andre has a good voice and I still like to hear his songs not just the songs from the old Angra's CDs but in Shaman ( the band what he is singing now ), Angra with him had to sing songs for his kind of voice, i don't think songs like Never Understand or Make Belive would good as it is with Andre's voice.
Junnie- How many songs in the new albun are in Portuguese?

Originally posted by Euro Metal Fan
Not for nothing...I do enjoy Edguy, yes, I have all their albums, yes...but...PoS is just much much much better...I think the only band that has any right to headline over PoS would be BG, but their not...

BG are not headlining simply because of their following day schedule. It was their choice to go on second. Otherwise I would imagine PoS are a very distant second. In fact, I'll go so far as to say I would never have even heard of PoS had it not been for this concert. Removing PoS from the roster altogether wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

If anything, I agree with the earlier post - Edguy should headline. Without a doubt. It's almost unaninmous that most people are going for Edguy (and the other power bands). Still, I guess the prog to power ratio has to be even just to be fair. Shame though, because I would MUCH rather see Edguy for 90 minutes than PoS.

Again though, this reflects the diverse tastes between prog and power fans. In all honesty, the two groups have vastly different music tastes, but power seems to be the more popular this time round. It is a shame then that Edguy's first appearance in the USA is going to be shorter than that of PoS's - who have been here several times before, and indeed even played at PP. Mmmm...

And why would PoS be scared??? They headlined the first one over Symphony X...

Yes but Symphony X are not even close in popularity to Blind Guardian. Not even remotely in the same ballpark. So the comparison is pale I'm afraid.

the BG/PoS back to back will be something that will be remembered by us all as one of the most magical moments in Metal Music History...

Nah - that award goes to Spinal Tap doing "Jazz Odyssey". :lol:

I'll bet half the crowd disperses after BG. You just won't be able to follow Silent Force - Edguy - Blind Guardian (all back to back) with something so lacklustre as PoS. If I were PoS, I would hate to be on last going through to 1:15am.

Please see my respone to the other thread on the Edguy headliner question. Unless you travel in the prog circles (which I would gather you don't from your tone), then you really cannot get a feel for the popularity of Pain of Salvation.

Furthermore, it's obvious you do not like the band from your negative remarks. Thus, I see no point in attempting to further defend my decision.

If you need to leave after BG, so be it. That means more room for everyone else.

Glenn H.

I quite like PoS to be honest. I just don't think that they have the 'tempo' to close out Friday night compared to Edguy. That's just an opinion - in the same way, I would not have a band like Nightwish follow Darkthrone. Oh well...

However, this is your show and you have complete authority as to how you want to set the roster. We all respect that - you will sell your tickets either way. Fair enough, and please don't EVER feel the need to defend your decisions - we will go with whatever you want. You're the boss.

Just curious but why have a forum presence on Ultimate Metal if people aren't allowed to be verbally redundant and just shoot the breeze?! :lol:

I'm not sure I quite understand the last question. I can't say that I have ever censored anyone around here. I just simply address any negative comments that I read regarding the festival itself. I do not censor nor care about remarks against specific bands on the roster unless it has something to do with directly with the festival or any decision I have made. I dare say that 99% of promoters don't give a shit what fans think. I do care and thus feel the need to respond accordingly.

The fact is that the entire roster was booked prior to BG deciding to play Montreal. PoS was booked as the 4th act and locked into a contract for a specific set length (as are all bands). When BG made their decision, it left me no choice but to flip the order. When I make a band an offer with a contract, it includes the order of appearance and set length. I do absolutely nothing by chance and I refuse to wait until the last minute to schedule the bands. It's not fair to the bands nor the fans.

In a perfect world, I agree that PoS would be 4th (prog headliner and break up the power run on Friday night).

Please bear in mind that I never, ever take anything personal in regards to remarks made to me or the festival. I just want folks to know the flip side.

I do appreciate your support.

Glenn H

I like to consider myself a fan of both prog and power...lately more prog, well ever since last year's ProgPower, and since the first chord of Entropia i hear last summer...I have never seen any of the bands at ProgPower, but I have feeling that PoS will once again out do all the bands just as they did the first time...and plus Remedy Lane is so much more emotional than ANATO...

I highly doubt anyone will leave after Blind Guardian, they would be first off ignorant and not a fan of music, I don't care who would be going on after BG, I would not leave...and to all the people who don't think that PoS will put on a great show...this is what will make you long time PoS fans...

I don't get it. It's not like power fans live in a hole and have never heard progressive music before. It's all a matter of taste at the end of the day. For example, some people who like fantasy power music with operatic type vocals are going to have difficulty getting into Black death metal singing about burning churches or whatever. Ok the analogy is extreme, but it does highlight the point.

The power/prog groups are waaay different - not all prog fans even own A Night at the Opera or Mandrake or Powerplant, and I'm sure lots of Power fans would not have even heard of some of the prog bands....however....

PP just opens it up for everyone to have a sample! But at the end of the day, power fans will leave the arena as power fans and vice versa. There may be more acceptance of the other style of music, but it's rare that people convert over one gig.

I'm in my 30's - I know enough about progressive music to know that I prefer Power. But that's cool - different strokes etc.

I would go to PPUSA3 if Edguy were playing for five minutes. I'm happy to get an hour! I just can't believe this is their first US appearance - they seem to go everywhere else in the world! Throw in first time appearances by Gamma Ray and Blind Guardian and those will be the moments that will make it a night to remember (at least for me)!

The fact that it's the first time all these demi-gods play on US soil is going to be tough to beat!

I like PoS, but Edguy fucking rule! Walk on fighting :headbang:

I think even Glen has mentioned it before, but I'll say it again anyway.

No matter what order he sets up, not everyone is going to be equally happy. I'm in my late 30's, and I like both prog & Power
metal equally. I'm just happy as hell that I don't have to spend the resources to go to Europe to see this kind of lineup. Not to mention the fact that I thouroughly enjoyed Atlanta last year.
Me personally, I'd love to see Gamma Ray & Edguy as headliners,
but just the chance to SEE these bands in our own country is going to be a treat in itself. Without Glenn taking on this event, we wouldn't be seeing any of them, unless another promoter had the balls to try to bring these kinds of acts to the states. In closing, I'm not a fan of PoS, but they have a right, and a fanbase
to be at an event such as Prog Power. I'll probably be cd shopping or tipping back a shot or 2, but I won't be there to be rude, or to get in anybody's face about it. It's all music, and very subject to opinions. I've never seen a fanbase like progressive & progressivemetal bicker about music so much. It is entertaining though! :D

J-Dubya - Who can't wait for November!

Or we could all just sit in silence or talk about the weather.

I think we get that Glenn has gone above and beyond the call of duty - we are ETERNALLY grateful, we've said it a thousand times, but that doesn't mean we can't comment on our likes and dislikes about the lineup or bands!! For any festival type concert, you will never like everyone on the line-up, but it is always worth giving it a shot to try them out in a live situation.

I think this banter is VERY worthwhile and indeed necessary because the essential theme of discussion is trying to explain the fascination with each others style of music. I don't think anybody is trying to force styles down each others throats - but getting to understand why a band like PoS is so popular is really helpful I think - especially for me. :)

I posted a thread not so long ago about Iced Earth and I wanted to understand why they were liked so much - I never caught really on. It was a really good thread, I ended up seeing them on tour with In Flames, and since then I have been collecting their entire catalog. Hearing other peoples opinions and seeing a band live adds such a twist to your own tastes.

Otherwise CD reviews would be futile too. I live by other peoples reviews and comments etc. I encourage for discussions like this to continue - and like you, find it an interesting read! :D