Which Dream Theater album to loan to prog rock fan?

SeaStorm

Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
So, I have a co-worker who, while he isn’t into metal, likes to ask me about "my music" all the time. He’s about 45 and his musical tastes seem to revolve around 1970s rock and prog rock. His metal knowledge seems to be limited to the hit songs from the some of the bigger bands of the 70s (Priest, Maiden, and the like).

He's loaning me some of his CDs. He wants to borrow one CD to hear what prog metal sounds like. Most of my collection is power - not a lot of prog. I do have most Dream Theater and many Threshold discs. Which one DT disc would you suggest for someone who’s never heard prog metal, but is into prog rock?

Personally, SFAM is my hands-down favorite, but I’m not sure that’s the best one for him.

Suggestions?

SFAM made me a Dream Theater fan. I can't get into any of the other albums like I can that one.

A landslide, so far.

Let me also toss out that I have every Queensryche album and one Fates Warning album (Parallels), if anyone thinks there’s a better selection there.

Oooh. Parallels would be good too. Not in your face metal, but an awesome prog disc. That was actually one of my introductions to progmetal. As for DT, Images and Words and SFAM are good choices...

Yo Seastorm by brotha! Id recommend Images and Words, Awake, and SFAM!

I actually got Kathy (from my radio show chatroom) interested with SFAM and just sold her a ton of my DT CD's! Shes officially hooked!

Awake might be a good one to give a fan of prog rock, especially the moodier kind like Crimson, early Genesis, Marillion's "Script..." etc. because of Awake's generally dark feel throughout. On the other hand, I don't see Awake showcasing the layered arrangements that I think of as a classic prog rock hallmark - I&W or SFAM are better ways to pursue this angle. For a Yes fan I'd say I&W is the shoe-in.

Also, I'm sure NOBODY will agree with me on this but Octavarium would be a good one because, to my ears contains the widest spread of DT styles on a single album (weepy ballads, melodic rockers, proggy stuff, and heavy headbangers) so it makes a really good overview -- even if the quality of the songs themselves is a bit spotty. Plus isn't there a lyrical reference to Genesis in the title track?

I agree, actually. 8V and FII are their most 'Prog Rock' with hints of metal discs as compared to their 'Prog Metal' with hints of rock other cd's. I'd go with 8V or FII, plus Fates Warning Parallels is a good one to start with too.