Which Dream Theater album to loan to prog rock fan?

Awake is definitely the way to go for a fan of classic prog rock, Images and Words would be what I would show a metal fan trying to get in Prog Metal.

Also, I'm sure NOBODY will agree with me on this but Octavarium would be a good one because, to my ears contains the widest spread of DT styles on a single album (weepy ballads, melodic rockers, proggy stuff, and heavy headbangers) so it makes a really good overview -- even if the quality of the songs themselves is a bit spotty. Plus isn't there a lyrical reference to Genesis in the title track?

I actually agree completely with this! The title track is probably their MOST 70's infuenced song!

I really don't think "Awake" is appropriate. Dark though it may be, it is also probably their second heaviest album behind ToT. SFaM makes a lot of sense, and I&W is a no-brainer as it is DEFINITIVE DT.

Only one I would stay WAY clear of as an intro would be "Train of Thought". Way too heavy for a prog-rock fan.....

I think he will like Scenes From A Memory best... Then Images and Words and Awake...
Threshold would be good too... Hypothetical!

Throw him some Pain of Salvation... Do you have any modern Progrock? Porcupine Tree, Marillion, etc...

Just give him Images and Words.

Yea, that's the gateway drug.

Without a doubt...epitome prog metal...the standard that most all other prog metal is held to. May as well hand your friend the best.

Like someone else said...Octavarium is another great prog metal release that is very eclectic...and some of the songs pay homage to progressive bands that influenced DT.

Can you loan him TWO CDs? My first choice would be Images & Words; however, the cover tunes on "A Change of Seasons" might put him into a more favorable mindset to enjoy the band.

He’s about 45 and his musical tastes seem to revolve around 1970s rock and prog rock.

Sounds like, ahem, somebody I used to know.

Images and Words was the #1 "gateway album" for me too; definitely start there. I would strongly caution against Awake: after being blown away by I&W, Awake was and remains a huge letdown.

How about making him a mixed cd of songs from every release that you think fit his tastes, then move from that.

I definately second some Pain of Savlation, especially some remedy lane or perfect element, also maybe throw him some Damnation from Opeth. You definately have to toss him Ark's burn the sun, to me the best prog release ever.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm giving him Images and Words and Parallels. If he likes Images and Words and wants to hear more DT, Awake would be next.

I don't have any of the albums suggested by rushzil, and I also don't have A Change of Seasons.

On a side note: the music coming my way is Jethro Tull's albums Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses (I had told him that I own Broadsword and the Beast and love it, but it's the only Jethro Tull I know, aside from the radio hits).

Ark's Burn the Sun is to me and always will be one of the best prog releases. It keeps you interested every second and never lets up and it is Jorn Lande's best vocal performance and always will be, at least in my opinion. It is definately a cd I have used for years to get people interested in the progressive side of things.

I would recommend AGAINST Symphony X, but that's just me. They are one of the least progressive prog bands. Their style has really gotten stale, especially recently. I'm still a big fan in general, but I don't think they are at all appropriate for this circumstance.

Ark - Burn the Sun is a fantastic idea!

Re Symphony X: this is a guy who doesn't listen to metal at all. He just wants to hear what prog metal sounds like, because he's a prog rock fan and was really interested to learn there's a branch of metal that evolved from prog rock. So I wanted to be as broad as possible in introducing the genre to him. To me, you've got to stick with the foundations of prog metal to do that (DT, QR, and FT). I do like Symphony X and own a few CDs, but it's not what I would hand to a non-metal person and say "This IS prog metal".

I gave him the CDs this afternoon and he really liked the song times listed on the back of I&W ;)