Which Dream Theater album to loan to prog rock fan?

So far, so good. Day 1 report:

Subject line: Dream Theater = Great

"I listened to Dream Theater last night. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it A LOT. Great production value. Very original. I noticed quite a few influences like Iron Maiden, Yes, Brian Oldfield, Metallica, Marillion, Rush. And I'm virtually certain that the lead guitar player is a big fan of Steve Morse."

Guy has a good ear...and he's "virtually right" in his "virtual certainty". Petrucci's a BIG Morse fan, being one of his biggest influences (being "The Steve's and the Alex's," as I believe JP put it).

What?? Systematic Chaos is the best thing the've put out since SFAM... IMHO...

Ya know, I probably *would* like it a lot if Portnoy would shut the f*** up and just play the drums.

Good vocals are a HUGE part of my enjoyment of a song, which is why I hate rap with a flaming passion, can't stand death-metal, and why I don't like Systematic Chaos....the vocals are really bad in parts, and it ruins it for me.

Craig

I like Labrie's vocals, but only ever so often, I don't enjoy them all the time, I just have to be in the mood. I for one love death metal though, but only if you can understand what they are screaming/growling, at least most of the time. I can always understand what Akerfeldt is growling, same for Dan Swano as well. Bjorn from Soilwork, I can always understand him as well, especially on their most recent cds. I can also understand Angela from Arch Enemy, and I am listening to the new live cd right now, and the whole band sounds amazing, and she sounds so clear and articulate with her growling. But, back to Dream Theater, I have never been a fan of any of the backing vocals in their music.

I think he will like Scenes From A Memory best... Then Images and Words and Awake...
Threshold would be good too... Hypothetical!

Throw him some Pain of Salvation... Do you have any modern Progrock? Porcupine Tree, Marillion, etc...

a co-worker of mine had made a copy of 'scenes from a memory' for me (the first i had ever heard of dream theater) and i hated it....it was when i saw them on the tour 'train of thought' that they really impressed me...they put on an awesome show...been a fan ever since...