Your recommendation...

t1mm0

blah
Jun 14, 2003
australia: nsw - moree
I started to get into prog. rock and prog. metal when I heard Dream theater they had a massive influence on me to get into the prog. scene.
I know there are alot of other really good prog. rock and metal bands, what are your recommendations?

Thanks. :wave:

Fates Warning...the early stuff was completely revolutionary, practically invented the modern genre of prog, although it can be a bit hard to take for the uninitiated...the latter day stuff shows a maturing band that substitutes riffing and time changes for style and shading...no one sounds like Fates. I recommend Awaken The Guardian for the early stuff and both Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray

Pain Of Salvation...wow...definitely no one sounds like them. POS delves into the human condition with emotion, intensity, and musical eccentricity. Again, for the uninitiated, a little hard to take at first, but damn it just seeps into your pores...

Other very competent "prog" bands of various degrees: Vanden Plas (stylish and refined prog), Threshold (heavy, but catchy British prog), and Spock's Beard (jazz influenced prog).

Any other thoughts on this from the peanut gallery...?

Oops, never finished my thought...those last 2 Fates titles are representative of their latter-day sound.

Also, albums to recommend by POS are Remedy Land and The Perfect Element Pt.1.

Not enough coffee this morning...can't finish a coherent thought yet...

Hope this helps...good luck!

General Zod said:
Symphony X. Their last two have been just phenomenal; "V: The New Mythology Suite" and "The Odyssey".

Don't forget "The Divine Wings of Tragedy"... Probbaly my favorite Symphony X album.

BRAVE (www.bravemusic.com) - excellent prog (more prog rock than metal) with female vox. Also check out their previous works done under the name Aris From Thorns.

Ayreon (see also Star One) (www.ayreon.com) - Pretty much anything by this guy, which features almost all the big names in the prog arena on his various albums.

--Mike

Silver1212 said:
Also check out Time Requiem.

Good band I've just gotten into.

Little more on the power metal side though.

Jeff.
Definitely check out EVERGREY. Especially for the show if you're going. They're incredible! EXHIBITION is also a great band. ANDROMEDA is very good, too. Quite a bit of DEVIN TOWNSEND's stuff is a good listen. I love the new one titled Accelerated Evolution. Have fun and rock on!

Also try out Dreamscape "Very", Dali's Dilemma "Manifesto for Futurism", DGB "Dreamland", Eldritch "El Nino", Manigance "Ange Ou Demon", Pagans Mind "Celestial Entrance", and Shadow Gallery "Tyranny". There are many other good Prog metal bands/albums out there, but these are very good albums!

Vanden Plas is my favorite band. They simply make great music to my ears and have put out three quality studio albums in a row that are good cover to cover.

Fates Warning is opening for Dream Theater and Queensryche and it is practically a travestry (and that is not a knock on the two other bands.) Fates Warning has a shitload of albums out and also writes high quality material. They are probably my second fav prog band.

Since you like Dream Theater please be sure to get "Images and Words." I think that was their defining moment.

To name a band that is more underground, you might try Ice Age. They are a ery good band that is extremely underrated.

Bryant

yeah I have Images and Words, it is a definite 10/10! I love it!
I have 1 Queensryche album, I'm not big on it yet but i think it is growing on me.
I can get my hands on some Ice Age so i'll check it out. I don't know about Fates Warning and Pain of Salvation adn stuff but I'll try.