Which Dream Theater album to loan to prog rock fan?

Also, an interesting connection when I handed him the CDs: he was immediately impressed that Terry Brown produced Parallels (apparently he did all of Rush's best albums).

Yep, Terry "Broon" did.

I&W was clearly the overwhelming choice, but giving your friend A Change Of Seasons -- and telling him to try the covers first and then go to "ACoS" the song, might have been better for someone who was a total non-metal listener.

Oh, well, let us know what he thinks!

After he gets used to the guitar-crunch of metal, then you can play him Opeth's "Harvest" (all 'clean' vox) and then "The Drapery Falls" (smooth vox up to the middle of the song, when they get growly) and maybe, his journey toward the Dark Side will be complete. :lol:

Which one DT disc would you suggest for someone who’s never heard prog metal, but is into prog rock?

Personally, SFAM is my hands-down favorite, but I’m not sure that’s the best one for him.

I think SFAM would be a good choice, but I agree with the other responses that "Images and Words" would also be good. Definitely DON'T give him Systematic Chaos....it's their worst CD by a long shot, IMHO, except for the two brilliant "In the Presence of Enemies" tracks.

Craig

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'm giving him Images and Words and Parallels. If he likes Images and Words and wants to hear more DT, Awake would be next.

I don't have any of the albums suggested by rushzil, and I also don't have A Change of Seasons.

On a side note: the music coming my way is Jethro Tull's albums Songs From The Wood and Heavy Horses (I had told him that I own Broadsword and the Beast and love it, but it's the only Jethro Tull I know, aside from the radio hits).

Parallels...another excellent choice.

You don't own Ark's "Burn The Sun"!?!?!?!? I agree with rushzil that it's one of the best CDs. Ever. By anyone.

Given the description you gave, and that the guy gave you Tull's SFTW and HH (my two personal favorite Tull discs), I'm guessing his tastes are somewhat close to mine. Steer him toward Enchant's "Break" or "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10" and he'll thank you forever.

I desperately love Pain of Salvation (esp. "The Perfect Element"), but that might be a little bit of a stretch for him at this point...wait 'til he cuts his teeth on the other stuff first, then suggest TPE. :)

Craig

So far, so good. Day 1 report:

Subject line: Dream Theater = Great

"I listened to Dream Theater last night. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like it A LOT. Great production value. Very original. I noticed quite a few influences like Iron Maiden, Yes, Brian Oldfield, Metallica, Marillion, Rush. And I'm virtually certain that the lead guitar player is a big fan of Steve Morse. I'm going to listen to it more today. Can’t wait for it to get better."

I've been listening to SFAM today and yesterday (after a long break from it). If he wants to go further, I think SFAM definitely has to next. Man, I love this album...

I think SFAM would be a good choice, but I agree with the other responses that "Images and Words" would also be good. Definitely DON'T give him Systematic Chaos....it's their worst CD by a long shot, IMHO, except for the two brilliant "In the Presence of Enemies" tracks.

Craig

What?? Systematic Chaos is the best thing the've put out since SFAM... IMHO...

Well...so far the verdict on I&W is positive...interested to see what he feels about Parallels...but that album will definitely be right up his alley.

I've seen a lot of good ideas thrown out so far. Ark's "Burn The Sun" and Enchant's "Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10" would probably hit this guy right down the middle.

As for further DT exploration...it's a crapshoot. My all-time fave DT album is "Awake" (cuz it's heavy, dark, moody, etc) and "SFAM" is a total prog thrillfest. However, for someone that is trying to "ease into" the metal world of prog, I would have to go with Pellaz's recommendation about A Change Of Seasons, simply for the covers on the backside of the album...and THEN the title track. Otherwise, a lot of people forget about DT's debut, "When Dream And Day Unite"...that would really be the album that would further peak his interest in the world of prog metal.

At this point, you're trying to expose him to what's out there...not influence him. Once he gets a taste, he'll be hooked (evil laugh)...

Rock on!

Mmmmmmm, you might want to try some of DT's later versions of the songs on WDADU if you think Charlie's vocals might be a liability. Maybe Live at the Marquee? (The "good" version, of course. :))

If the dude doesn't much care for metal, then most of their catalog is out. Every prog rock fan (they were all old people) I've ever loaned I&W to complained that it was too much like Poison - hair metal. That's a fair complaint. Surrounded, Another Day, Wait for Sleep are all epic gayness. For a person who shies away from metal, the best gateway thing from DT to loan them is Disc 2 of Six Degrees. It's the only thing remotely prog rockish in the catalog. After Awake just about everything they've done has been polluted with ott metal idiocy. If they like 6DoIT2, then try A Change of Seasons next.

Joe-×;7816149 said:
If the dude doesn't much care for metal, then most of their catalog is out. Every prog rock fan (they were all old people) I've ever loaned I&W to complained that it was too much like Poison - hair metal.

Well, except that half of the intent here is that he wants to hear what prog metal sounds like. Whether or not he ends up liking it is the other half, but he defintely wants to learn what it is, so I need to give him the metal stuff :)

Well, except that half of the intent here is that he wants to hear what prog metal sounds like. Whether or not he ends up liking it is the other half, but he defintely wants to learn what it is, so I need to give him the metal stuff :)
In that case, you could have given him anything prog metal. No need to be selective. As long as it vaguely fit the genre, anything would have done.

I'm also thinking some Circus Maximus as well. Enchant was a good suggestion, but I only really like blueprint of the world and wounded. I would also suggest Royal Hunt, moving target, paradox 1 and 2. I would also shoot for some Nightingale, preferably the last few cds, my fav being IV Alive Again. I would also go with Threshold's critical mass. I would suggest Vanden Plas over Symphony X anyday, if you are shooting for the more progressive sounding. Also, definately can't go wrong with the last couple Porcupine Tree releases. Can't forget Riverside also, for the lighter side of prog. There are many more, but I am trying to think of the heavy prog on the lighter side, especially considering I lean towards the extremely heavy, and am not always a fan of the prog rock but mainly the prog metal. Also, I think Ice Age's liberate would be a good suggestion.

What?? Systematic Chaos is the best thing the've put out since SFAM... IMHO...

I feel that SC is only slightly better than WD&DU...And I don't care for WD&DU at all. Only good song off that album is Ytse Jam. Actually, now that I think about it, WD&DU might just be slightly better than SC, as I can't say I really like a single song off SC. Either way, both the first and current last DT albums are stinkers imho. :p

Rush, you have so many good suggestions and knowledge. And I own music by very few of those bands :)

90% of my collection is power, 10% prog, so I've only got so much I can work with here!

Joe-×;7816259 said:
In that case, you could have given him anything prog metal. No need to be selective. As long as it vaguely fit the genre, anything would have done.

Except that then the other 50% of the intent (that he might like it) would be completely missing. Randomly picking anything from the genre would defintely not fit the bill. I'm trying to accomplish multiple goals at once here, hence the request for suggestions, as this is not my main genre.

And I greatly appreciate the analysis so many people have put into this!

This is where the post became gay.

And this is where it became the gayest post ever on this forum.

Just thought l'd let you know.
If I'd said Spinal Tap, would that be less gay or more gay? I strive to achieve the optimal level of gayness in my postings, and I'm always looking for constructive feedback. I hear that (Spinal Tap) a lot from the 45+ crowd who think all metal is a joke that they're not getting. Since I'm pushing that number myself, I understand the perception. I've always seen thrash, black, and death that way myself.

Except that then the other 50% of the intent (that he might like it) would be completely missing. Randomly picking anything from the genre would defintely not fit the bill.
I guess I was just going by my own experience. The transition from Rush to metal to prog metal isn't that big of a change. I'm surprised that people like that still exist. I was thinking of more the old school prog rock guys based on his age. The transition from symphonic / pasta / rio / avant / canterbury / zeuhl / electronic / space, etc is more what I'm accustomed to from people IRL. The snob stuff. Them dudes ain't Rush fans. For a Rush dude, Dream Theater is a perfect fit. The Rush influence is what made me go hog wild for I&W. Damn The Machine is good. Shadow Gallery Tyranny. Vanden Plas The God Thing. Anything by Ayreon. If you do Symphony X, go early, like Divine Wings. King's X Gretchen. Royal Hunt Paradox. All the standards. If song length impresses him, then scare the wits out of him with Green Carnation LoDDoD.

Craig

Disagree. Six degrees, Octavarium and Systamatic Chaos are all equal in their crappiness. Flame on....