Who's in your ProgPower Hall of Fame?

One thing that quickly occurs to me as I peruse these lists, is how incredibly different our tastes are, even within our little pigeon hole here in cyberspace. I won't comment specifically on any one person's choices. After all, my selections have no underlying validity. They are merely my opinions. However, what's become clear is, what makes a great show is less about the on stage performance and more about the studio work. Great performances are built upon great songs. While this is probably something of an obvious statement, it's one that seems to be discounted when we talk about great shows.

One thing that quickly occurs to me as I peruse these lists, is how incredibly different our tastes are, <SNIP> However, what's become clear is, what makes a great show is less about the on stage performance and more about the studio work. Great performances are built upon great songs.

I'm not sure I agree. Obviously you have a point that, if you like a band more, you will be more into the songs, and have a better chance of loving the performance. Any live show is better when you know the songs and the lyrics.

That said, there's still bands that can transcend that rule, or else everyone would pick only their favorite bands. Iced Earth and Virgin Steele are in my top 5 bands, and while I enjoyed both shows at PP, I wouldn't rank them in this echelon.

Looking back at my list in this thread, I picked the following bands:

• Tad Morose - Had one album but didn't know all of the material
  • Therion - Barely heard any of their work
  • Accept - Knew and disliked most of their work
All of those bands were, for me, able to overcome my ignorance and put on a show worthy of an all-time ranking (and of a case of "slayer-neck").

What we need is for Longshot to put these all in a DB and correlate the data to show the trends :D

Steve in Philly

Couldn't pass up this thread

I have only missed #1 and #3

PP2
ARK (because I never thought I would ever see them live)

Honorable mention - SUPERIOR and Balance of Power. I had no clue who BoP even was and they started out that first slot on day one with Lance belting out DAYBREAKER and I was instantly hooked.

PP4
Symphony X (during PP#2, I was forced to leave during their third song of their set :cry: so catching them at PP4, even though they melted my face and permanently impaired my hearing lol, I loved their set. Odyssey!!!)

Honorable mention - Pagan's and Vanden Plas. I had thought VP was pretty good prior to the show - their live set made me a true believer.

PP5
DREAMSCAPE (absolutely no question)

Honorable mention - BRAINSTORM - I dig Symphorce more truthfully but Andy and the boys OWNED that place during their set. Truly amazing.

Also, Prototype during the showcase. Didn't know anything about them but became an instant fan (epsecially when they played Mind in Motion and the DUNE clip started out the song)

PP6
CONCEPTION
As a huge fanboy, I never EVER thought I would get to see them play live. Truly a dream come true.

Honorable mention: CIRCUS MAXIMUS - just a total WOW feeling after that set. Also, Dreamscape again for the showcase. They played an amazing longer set and they are also just a great group of guys (grabbing lunch with them the next day was a highlight of all my years at PP)

PP7
EVERGREY

honorable mention - VISION DIVINE and Pyramaze (Lance kicking ass AGAIN)

PP8
Making this list is great - because it just reminded me what a musical BONER I had in 2007
REDEMPTION, THRESHOLD (after missing them when I couldn't make PP3), PAGAN'S MIND, and AFTER FOREVER.

Have to give it to PAGANS though. I can NEVER see them too many times.

After Forever was EPIC and solidified my Floor Jansen obsession.

Honorable mention - Krucible (another round of Lance kicking ass with a great band)

PP9
RIVERSIDE (nothing more need be said)

Honorable mention - Andromeda (and also for playing The Cage of Me live for the first time ever)

PP10
FATES WARNING (having never seen them live, even being a fan for so long, it was truly amazing)

(and after Pagan's played again this year and slayed, I feel they should always have an honorary slot every single year :devil:. Seriously.)

Honorable mention - Sabaton (not a big fan really but you CANNOT deny the epic set they put on o_O - I was really blown away), and in the showcase:

Future's End - I knew Marc Pattison from his guitar stuff online back in the late 90s so it was a thrill seeing him live

and ENCHANT :Smokin::Smokin::Smokin:
Ed Platt and the guys finally in Atlanta :D

PP11
The year I really had no go-to band of mine that I was already a big fan of and stoked to see right off. And you know what? I had a total blast anyway and its the reason I love PP so much.

I'll go with Kamelot with Michael :cool:
(with Tarot right behind them)

Honorable mention: totally impressed with Leaves Eyes, Delain and Oceans of Sadness.

I'm not sure I agree. Obviously you have a point that, if you like a band more, you will be more into the songs, and have a better chance of loving the performance. Any live show is better when you know the songs and the lyrics.
I'd say it goes even beyond that. If Band A is playing your favorite songs and Band B is playing songs you've heard, and either don't like or are indifferent about, Band B has almost no chance of being superior.

Looking back at my list in this thread, I picked the following bands:

* Tad Morose - Had one album but didn't know all of the material
* Therion - Barely heard any of their work
* Accept - Knew and disliked most of their work

All of those bands were, for me, able to overcome my ignorance and put on a show worthy of an all-time ranking (and of a case of "slayer-neck").
So keep in mind, I said great performances are built on great songs. The fact that you weren't familiar with those songs when they were played, doesn't mean you wouldn't have found them to be great songs had you heard them prior.

I've been to every ProgPower USA since IV:

10/10 performances by fest:

IV:
None. Lots of good performances, but nothing elite.

V:
Brainstorm.

VI:
Therion
Orphaned Land

VII:
Epica

VIII:
Raintime
Firewind
Primal Fear

IX:
None- Again many strong sets, but none were perfect.

X:
Sabaton

XI:
Accept
Hammerfall
Blackguard

I regards to the side track topic this thread has taken:
I think Blackguard's songs are good, but not what I'd call great. However, their live shows kick ass.

I'd point to Blackguard as an example of a band that uses pure energy and well rehearsed choreography to elevate their live sets to an elite level. However, it's rare for bands to be able to do that, IMO.

Special kudos to HammerFall. Since I've been attending they're the only second (or third depending on how you count them) night headliner to take a hungry, hot, and exhausted audience and breath new life into it to the extent they did.