Your expert opinions, please....

metal71

Jul 19, 2002
Las Vegas
www.lasvegasmetal.com
Hey-

Here's a tough one:

Me and a buddy were discussing our trip to Wacken a couple years ago (we're back for PP this year...), and started talking about all the great power metal bands in Germany alone, vs. the shortage of such bands here in the states.

Leaving out thrash/death, black metal, and real prog-gy stuff, what are some cool power metal bands here in America? I know this isn't a big scene here, but I know there's gotta be more than I'm already listening to.

Thanks-

Well, according to what's archieved at MetalStorm, Power Metal bands in the USA are:
Dio
Kamelot
Magnitude 9
Onward
Rob Rock
Symphony X

Well, from my knowledge - German power metal bands sound a lot different than US power metal.

Most people consider US power metal to be more traditional metal and less heavy on the choruses. While German Power metal is more chorus oriented, and higher pitched voices.

*shrugs*

But in my opinion, Symphony X is not power metal.

Without covering any that have already been mentioned, I hope:

Savatage (the first band to be referred to as "power metal" on a widespread basis)
Iced Earth
Jag Panzer
Vicious Rumors
Enertia
Prototype
Division
Dofka
Psycho Scream
Steel Prophet
Virgin Steele
Manowar
Pharaoh
Destiny's End
Nevermore
Skullview
Cauldron Born
October 31
Twelfth Gate (although they're more of a cross between power, doom, and thrash)
Antithesis (more of a cross between power, prog, and thrash)

and almost the entire lineup of the Classic Metal Festival.

There's a lot here, but it's not as high profile as the Euro stuff. However, I'll take US power metal over Euro power metal any day of the week.

Nightmare1z said:
But in my opinion, Symphony X is not power metal.

I don't mentally classify them as power-metal either, since I got into Symphony X thanks to the old Ytsejam Mailing List, with Divine Wings...which I liked as a prog-metal outing.
I'm not saying they're not power-metal either :), but to me, they've been one of those bands who sit on that comfortable perch in-between.

Everyone except KHAN

oh and how could you forget MAGISTRAL!!! Yeah, I know they are chilean but they all live here and have lived here for a few years so it counts

Distant Thunder
Dark Quiet
and I think Eternity Black is Power metal

I remember first hearing the term Power Metal back in the 80's sometime. You had metal becoming more popular and all the different factions of the genre, so each was getting their own handle. Speed, Thrash, Death, Black, Power and the like. When I first started hearing the term Power Metal it was used for bands that most would now call Traditional or Classic metal bands. I'm an old fucker, so I can remember when it was all just Heavy Metal, then all the different variations of the genre started coming into more prominence and everyone needed names for each of these different factions.

Amen brother! Metal used to mean Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.... and you were hardcore if you branched out to smaller bands like... Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister! Hahahaha... Good times. But I love the variety, and thank Kurt Cobain everyday for finishing off the glam scene. Wasn't 'metal' anyway. Metal is where I like it to be once more - in the gutter. When bands go in knowing their not going to sell a zillion albums and be all over MTV (like the glammers were doing 15 years ago), then they have nothing much to aspire to but making music they really dig. That's why we see all the black and death metal, the rap hybrids, the doomsters, etc. I don't like it all, but I love the variety. Good for the scene's growth.

It all depends on what people may consider power metal... It's actually interesting (and I'm serious) to see that some people consider this or that band Power Metal while others disagree...

Antithesis
Armored Saint
CJSS
Crimson Glory (arguably)
Gothic Knights
Guardians Of The Flame
Halford (as only Rob wasn't from the States)
Helstar
Holy Mother
Iced Earth
Jacob's Dream
Manowar
Metal Church
New Eden
Reverend
Riot
Seven Witches
Seventh Omen
Spirit Web
Syris
Twelfth Gate
Twisted Tower Dire
Vicious Rumors
Virgin Steele
Vyndykator
Wayne
Winters Bane

Is that enough for you? I'm sure you know some of these bands, but I merely listed them to prove a point. There's plenty of great power metal from this country. In fact, I think most of these bands are better than the best of what Europe has to provide. I hope that there are some bands on this list that you could check out.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al