Your expert opinions, please....

Ballstorm said:
An advanced search of the Metal Encyclopaedia at http://www.metal-archives.com/ shows 394 Power Metal bands in the U.S. of which 184 are currently active.

Also Manowar is not listed in the Power Metal genre. They are listed in the more general Heavy Metal genre which I think suits them more.

I recently found out that there was, or still is, a band out of Germany with the name Avian. According to that encylopedia page, they list them as active, however, their webpage isn't. When I researched the name in 2002, I did not find anything. So, just to set the record straight, the U.S. version of Avian is alive and well. I hope that there aren't people out there expecting to see the German Avian band for Progpower. If anyone knows if they're still around, please let me know.

Thanks,
Yan :headbang:

Pyramaze51 said:
Gosh i lot of great USA power metal bands have been left out.

OUTWORLD
AVIAN
ETERNAL REIGN
ARCHETYPE
ASKA
GOTHIC KNIGHTS
CELLADOR
SHADOWSKEEP
TOTAL ECLIPSE
TILES

And less we forget the three best KAMELOT, ARTENSION, SHADOW GALLERY(yeah i know progressive but damnit they are great)

Outworld is not power metal,,,I don't think Archetype is too power metal either

Yngvai X said:
my favorite US powermetal bands:

Iced Earth
Kamelot
Avian
Moliti :p
Joe Stump's Reign of Terror

and if you wanna consider either of them power, Symphony X and Nevermore, although people like to debate that with me (SymX I agree is more progmetal, but I still think you can squeeze Nevermore into the powermetal genre just as much as you can squeeze a band like Angel Dust into it).

Theres really not much coming out of the US in terms of powermetal. And yea, most of the bands I see that do consider themselves power are really just like NWOBHM sounding more than powermetal. IMO the majority of the best powermetal comes from Germany...

Moliti is better than Iced Earth

MetalRose said:
I know. I was teasing back. :)

People are welcome to like things I don't, they just should be prepared for a little harassment. And on the flipside, I take a little ribbing too. :) I get crap daily for loving Type O Negative. :)

-MetalRose

hehehe I'm so used to Manoharrasment I dont even bother defending them anymore :loco: as for T.O.N. I really Like Origin of the Feces and some of Bloody Kisses but boy they can really put a guy to sleep! :p ... anyways with that out of the way... Hows it going MetalRose!?!:D

Going well, thanks. :) Working hard at not working. Hehehe. I can't wait for PPVI! It's going to be such a great time.

Anyway, I have a general question for everyone:

What defines/ classifies/ labels a band to a certian category?

I'm seeing disagreements on bands like ManOWar not being powermetal, but more general rock. What puts them in the Powermetal? What puts them in the Rock? What are the differences? Is it vocals? Music? Lyrics?

I'm just curious. There is a lot of debate about classifications in all different Genres... Just wondering how everyone puts bands into their genres.

On a side note, I had another question associated with this, but I can't think of it right now. I'll post it later.

-MetalRose

MetalRose said:
Going well, thanks. :) Working hard at not working. Hehehe. I can't wait for PPVI! It's going to be such a great time.

Anyway, I have a general question for everyone:

What defines/ classifies/ labels a band to a certian category?

I'm seeing disagreements on bands like ManOWar not being powermetal, but more general rock. What puts them in the Powermetal? What puts them in the Rock? What are the differences? Is it vocals? Music? Lyrics?

I'm just curious. There is a lot of debate about classifications in all different Genres... Just wondering how everyone puts bands into their genres.

On a side note, I had another question associated with this, but I can't think of it right now. I'll post it later.

-MetalRose

Here's what they teach you in power metal 101:

You have to use the word heresy at least once per album and the words time and shadows at least 5 times each per album in order for it to qualify as power metal ;)

Yan :headbang:

:headbang:

Try this:

http://www.sixminutecentury.com/

This is a Houston band that used to be Mystic Cross. The singer is different and so are the songs. They write about real stuff, NOT relationship stuff. Listen to April 19 - It's about the Oklahoma City bombing. Listen to Chuck's voice at about the 1:20 mark. A little Halford in there!!

I still don't understand why it's so important to people to put bands in a pidgeon-hole.

My $.02.

Savadude,

Your original post contained over 200 blank lines between your words and signature. Furthermore, your post repeated itself seven times. I have no idea what the hell happened, but please notify me in the future if you have problems.

Glenn H.

Chris

SavaVIDude said:
:headbang:

Try this:

http://www.sixminutecentury.com/

This is a Houston band that used to be Mystic Cross. The singer is different and so are the songs. They write about real stuff, NOT relationship stuff. Listen to April 19 - It's about the Oklahoma City bombing. Listen to Chuck's voice at about the 1:20 mark. A little Halford in there!!

I still don't understand why it's so important to people to put bands in a pidgeon-hole.

My $.02.

I don't think Mystic Cross is very power metal

Power metal - n. (poə'ur mĕt'l): is a style of heavy metal music pioneered and largely practiced in Germany and Scandinavia.

The first power metal song is arguably the 1976 song "Stargazer" by the band Rainbow.

Power metal was developed in the mid-1980s primarily by the German band Helloween, who were influenced by bands such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Power metal borrows from 1970s metal styles, but adds important elements of speed and melody. Whereas most genres of rock focus largely on personal experience, historical incidents, social commentary, or other aspects of "real life", power metal often treats cosmological or metaphysical themes. As such, lyrics draw heavily from science-fiction, mythology, and fantasy; Tolkien-esque imagery is especially common in the latter.

Power metal vocals are generally clean (as opposed to the growling vocals that characterize Death Metal) and delivered by a trained vocalist; singing power metal involves more than a few high notes. Often power metal vocals have multi-layer vocals similar to Queen. Typical power metal bands consist of a vocalist, two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. Many bands also play with a keyboardist and a few, such as the Italian band Rhapsody, have been known to record with more symphonic elements.

This style is most popular in Europe, Japan, some countries of South America and has a growing popularity in certain parts of North America.

MajorRager said:
Power metal - n. (poə'ur mĕt'l): is a style of heavy metal music pioneered and largely practiced in Germany and Scandinavia.

The first power metal song is arguably the 1976 song "Stargazer" by the band Rainbow.

Power metal was developed in the mid-1980s primarily by the German band Helloween, who were influenced by bands such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.

Power metal borrows from 1970s metal styles, but adds important elements of speed and melody. Whereas most genres of rock focus largely on personal experience, historical incidents, social commentary, or other aspects of "real life", power metal often treats cosmological or metaphysical themes. As such, lyrics draw heavily from science-fiction, mythology, and fantasy; Tolkien-esque imagery is especially common in the latter.

Power metal vocals are generally clean (as opposed to the growling vocals that characterize Death Metal) and delivered by a trained vocalist; singing power metal involves more than a few high notes. Often power metal vocals have multi-layer vocals similar to Queen. Typical power metal bands consist of a vocalist, two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. Many bands also play with a keyboardist and a few, such as the Italian band Rhapsody, have been known to record with more symphonic elements.

This style is most popular in Europe, Japan, some countries of South America and has a growing popularity in certain parts of North America.

Oh YES!!! Stargazer is absolutely KILLER!! That whole era of Dio/Blackmore Rainbow is awesome. Nice work... Love the dictionary definition. As we can see, few people are in total agreement when it comes to something like music, but I'm dead on with that description, and love the German bands...

However, I also like the Manowar jokes, maybe I'll start a new thread just for that!

MajorRager said:

What a quote: It describes Power Metal to a tee, now if there are any questions as to what and who is power metal apply this to the band and you will get your answer.

Met-Al said:
Antithesis
Armored Saint
CJSS
Crimson Glory (arguably)
Gothic Knights
Guardians Of The Flame
Halford (as only Rob wasn't from the States)
Helstar
Holy Mother
Iced Earth
Jacob's Dream
Manowar
Metal Church
New Eden
Reverend
Riot
Seven Witches
Seventh Omen
Spirit Web
Syris
Twelfth Gate
Twisted Tower Dire
Vicious Rumors
Virgin Steele
Vyndykator
Wayne
Winters Bane

Is that enough for you? I'm sure you know some of these bands, but I merely listed them to prove a point. There's plenty of great power metal from this country. In fact, I think most of these bands are better than the best of what Europe has to provide. I hope that there are some bands on this list that you could check out.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

Also:
Savatage
Doctor Butcher
Jon Oliva's Pain

MajorRager said:

Dio created power metal
Manowar was probably the first truely power metal band, not Helloween.

I dunno if any of youz guyz outside of Michigan have heard them, but a truly entertaining band I've discovered is MILES BEYOND. They're four guys from Flint, and I discovered em as they opened up for Iced Earth at the Machine Shop last spring. First thing we noticed when we heard em was, THIS AIN'T RADIO FRIENDLY AT ALL! Great two-part guitar work, EXCELLENT stage presence, killer anthem-like, crowd-chanting songs. Makes you wanna throw your fist up and scream back. Best way to describe them is very very heavily Maiden and Priest influenced. The singer's voice is unbelievable! I'm quite envious of his range and ability. It'll be a while before I can sing that well, AND play guitar at the same time. I've been dubbed their No. 2 biggest fan (aside from their merchandise guy who is always with them) and I can't wait til we beat this cancer bullshit with my brother. Cuz we wanna cruise up to Flint and do a helluva kickass metal show with them.

If you find songs from their website, keep in mind that this is a self-recorded album. And as "amateurish" as it may sound, I'm incredibly impressed with the depth and detail to their album. It's twelve songs weighing at 70 minutes, and easily the best 6 bucks I've spent in years. Vlad The Impaler is easily my favorite song, and it's a nice long 8 minute headbangin prize-winner. Best stage song is A Call To Odin cuz every crowd they play goes bonkers for that song.

If yer interested in hearing some of it, I might be able to spread a few emails to any of you. Just private message me and I'll send a mass email out.

http://www.milesbeyond.net

Allright, I'm done with the blatant advertising. Heh heh.

Bryan316 said:
I dunno if any of youz guyz outside of Michigan have heard them, but a truly entertaining band I've discovered is MILES BEYOND. They're four guys from Flint, and I discovered em as they opened up for Iced Earth at the Machine Shop last spring. First thing we noticed when we heard em was, THIS AIN'T RADIO FRIENDLY AT ALL! Great two-part guitar work, EXCELLENT stage presence, killer anthem-like, crowd-chanting songs. Makes you wanna throw your fist up and scream back. Best way to describe them is very very heavily Maiden and Priest influenced. The singer's voice is unbelievable! I'm quite envious of his range and ability. It'll be a while before I can sing that well, AND play guitar at the same time. I've been dubbed their No. 2 biggest fan (aside from their merchandise guy who is always with them) and I can't wait til we beat this cancer bullshit with my brother. Cuz we wanna cruise up to Flint and do a helluva kickass metal show with them.

If you find songs from their website, keep in mind that this is a self-recorded album. And as "amateurish" as it may sound, I'm incredibly impressed with the depth and detail to their album. It's twelve songs weighing at 70 minutes, and easily the best 6 bucks I've spent in years. Vlad The Impaler is easily my favorite song, and it's a nice long 8 minute headbangin prize-winner. Best stage song is A Call To Odin cuz every crowd they play goes bonkers for that song.

If yer interested in hearing some of it, I might be able to spread a few emails to any of you. Just private message me and I'll send a mass email out.

http://www.milesbeyond.net

Allright, I'm done with the blatant advertising. Heh heh.

From just their name, I was thinking they would be some kind of power metal-jazz fusion band. ^_^