Your expert opinions, please....

Cat fight!! CAT FIGHT!!!

With any luck, we'll see the (o)'s come out. :)

Holy Mother

I believe Holy Mother is from Germany.

Your mention of CJSS also reminds me that I forgot to mention Chastain. :)

MetalRose said:
I don't think I'd classify Manowar as powermetal.

I'd classify it as crap.

*waits for the flaming to begin.*

-Metal

bullshit.jpg
:D

MetalRose said:
LOL. I'll change my opinion once Mr. Lead singer can hold a tune, hell I'll change my opinion once he can get through 3 consecutive notes with out going out of key. :)

-MetalRose

No worries MetalRose I was just having a lil fun ... I myself am a Fan of Manowar and I am very used to being bashed for it ... I was hoping you would see the humor in my post :D :wave:

metal71 said:
Amen brother! Metal used to mean Iron Maiden and Judas Priest.... and you were hardcore if you branched out to smaller bands like... Quiet Riot and Twisted Sister! Hahahaha... Good times. But I love the variety, and thank Kurt Cobain everyday for finishing off the glam scene. Wasn't 'metal' anyway. Metal is where I like it to be once more - in the gutter. When bands go in knowing their not going to sell a zillion albums and be all over MTV (like the glammers were doing 15 years ago), then they have nothing much to aspire to but making music they really dig. That's why we see all the black and death metal, the rap hybrids, the doomsters, etc. I don't like it all, but I love the variety. Good for the scene's growth.

Not to burst your bubble, but not only have all those other genres been around for the entire time glam was, but they're actually getting more popular now (of course in a watered down form), if you look at all the bands on Nuclear Blast, Century Media, etc. which are popular and often not very good, although both have some excellent bands there. I don't want to start a big discussion that goes off the topic at hand, but that's the way it is. There has never been a point where there weren't quote-"underground" bands, artists, whatever doing their own thing, and there never will be.

JonnyD said:
No worries MetalRose I was just having a lil fun ... I myself am a Fan of Manowar and I am very used to being bashed for it ... I was hoping you would see the humor in my post :D :wave:

I know. I was teasing back. :)

People are welcome to like things I don't, they just should be prepared for a little harassment. And on the flipside, I take a little ribbing too. :) I get crap daily for loving Type O Negative. :)

-MetalRose

Barking Pumpkin said:
Not to burst your bubble, but not only have all those other genres been around for the entire time glam was, but they're actually getting more popular now (of course in a watered down form), if you look at all the bands on Nuclear Blast, Century Media, etc. which are popular and often not very good, although both have some excellent bands there. I don't want to start a big discussion that goes off the topic at hand, but that's the way it is. There has never been a point where there weren't quote-"underground" bands, artists, whatever doing their own thing, and there never will be.

Not to burst YOUR bubble oh wise one, but I was referring to the days (daze), when I was, oh... about your speed, I guess. 1984, the height of Maiden's brilliance, PRE-century Media, PRE-Nuclear Blast, and more than anything, before 'Al Gore invented' the internet, which has done so much for underground music, and before the Eroupean (and now) American festival circuit which has also played huge role in helping metal bands transcend their collective garages in favor of bigger stages and greener (read: getting paid) pastures....

You see, I've been around. I've played in bands, I went to college for music, I roadied for bands bigger than those we'll be checking out at PP, I've even learned how to breathe fire from a Norwegian Blackmetallist in a rathole alley bar in Germany..... I'm what some people would call... "OLD".

The point is, you MISSED the point. I don't think too many people reading my post would get the impression that I didn't know about metal existing before glam... Duh. Hell, I've got metal albums (that's right, VINYL) that are probably older than you, and maybe as old as your parents....

I still don't understand what you're trying to say. Good music is created to make good music. Glam may not be popular anymore, but now we have nu-metal and -core which are the new way to be popular and make money with quote-"metal." The metal bands that are getting actually popular are generally not really great, although the internet has helped a lot of great bands get more exposure. Popular music has nothing to do with what real artists are doing at all, as far as I'm concerned.

metal71 said:
You see, I've been around. I've played in bands, I went to college for music, I roadied for bands bigger than those we'll be checking out at PP, I've even learned how to breathe fire from a Norwegian Blackmetallist in a rathole alley bar in Germany..... I'm what some people would call... "OLD".
Old Fart... :tickled:

Back to the subject of Power Metal, I don't really klnow what constitutes a Power Metal band in the strictest sense. To me now days, when I hear the label Power Metal, I think of a certain amount of cheese, lots of speedy songs with double kick drum all the way through, screeching vocals, big gay sing along choruses... :D Oh yeah, and a certain amount of homo-eroticism...like with Manowar...man, if that ain't homo-erotic metal, I'll kiss your loin-clothed ass. :loco:

my favorite US powermetal bands:

Iced Earth
Kamelot
Avian
Moliti :p
Joe Stump's Reign of Terror

and if you wanna consider either of them power, Symphony X and Nevermore, although people like to debate that with me (SymX I agree is more progmetal, but I still think you can squeeze Nevermore into the powermetal genre just as much as you can squeeze a band like Angel Dust into it).

Theres really not much coming out of the US in terms of powermetal. And yea, most of the bands I see that do consider themselves power are really just like NWOBHM sounding more than powermetal. IMO the majority of the best powermetal comes from Germany...

TheWhisper said:

Back to the subject of Power Metal, I don't really klnow what constitutes a Power Metal band in the strictest sense. To me now days, when I hear the label Power Metal, I think of a certain amount of cheese, lots of speedy songs with double kick drum all the way through, screeching vocals, big gay sing along choruses... :D Oh yeah, and a certain amount of homo-eroticism...like with Manowar...man, if that ain't homo-erotic metal, I'll kiss your loin-clothed ass. :loco:

"It's funny because it's true!" -- Good post. I have to agree, but that's why I ask. I mean, there are good ones out there, and there are.... not so good ones. But there are more and more popping up these days, and I'd love to get turned on to a few new artists.... (now that sounds homo-erotic). Anyway, you know what I mean.

TheWhisper said:

You need to hear:

Rage
Persuader
Iron Savior
Grave Digger
Angel Dust
Mystic Prophecy
Blind Guardian

These are some bands that I find stray away from the "typical" powermetal sound and are a bit heavier, thrashier, oldschool, and/or progressive.

Yngvai X said:
You need to hear:

Rage
Persuader
Iron Savior
Grave Digger
Angel Dust
Mystic Prophecy
Blind Guardian

These are some bands that I find stray away from the "typical" powermetal sound and are a bit heavier, thrashier, oldschool, and/or progressive.
Um, I have heard all those bands and, to tell ya the truth, none of them really do anything for me.

Gosh i lot of great USA power metal bands have been left out.

OUTWORLD
AVIAN
ETERNAL REIGN
ARCHETYPE
ASKA
GOTHIC KNIGHTS
CELLADOR
SHADOWSKEEP
TOTAL ECLIPSE
TILES

And less we forget the three best KAMELOT, ARTENSION, SHADOW GALLERY(yeah i know progressive but damnit they are great)