Your ultimate "boy do I feel stupid" moment for the weekend

Squeak

Photo Mistress
Okay, so I KNOW some of you all have had some of these moments this weekend. I've had a few, but will post just one for right now.

I'm backstage on Saturday night and I see this dude with a blue Manticora shirt on. I'm talking to one of the Documentary videographers and a couple other friends and I said, DAMN I love that band Manticora! The guy stops and says, oh really? And the videographer was like, you know who that is right? Of course, I am dead fucking tired at this point, don't know which way is up, so needless to say, I didn't figure out who it was. So dude said, I am Lars from Manticora. I must've turned about 10 shades of red and felt as stupid as humanly possible. I tell him, sorry I had a blonde moment. That broke the ice! Then I got a picture with him and also got a picture of him, Zilla and myself (courtesy of Ralf). I'll post more stupidity later, after you guys make me feel better.

Sorry, but I've got you all beat. At the pre-party, I was trying desperately to figure out who the original members of Savatage were so I wouldn't make an ass of myself. I walked right up to Chris Caffrey and said, "Are you Johnny Lee Middleton?" :loco:

He wouldn't come near me for the rest of the night, not that I can blame him... Oh why, God, why?! :confused:

SwordLord
SwordLord2003@aol.com

SwordLord said:
Sorry, but I've got you all beat. At the pre-party, I was trying desperately to figure out who the original members of Savatage were so I wouldn't make an ass of myself. I walked right up to Chris Caffrey and said, "Are you Johnny Lee Middleton?" :loco:

He wouldn't come near me for the rest of the night, not that I can blame him... Oh why, God, why?! :confused:

SwordLord
SwordLord2003@aol.com

Haha! I remember that. He was so gonna kick your ass outside.

Brent

Wel...... I lost my freaking gold badge early Friday between Dreamscape and Tad Morose. No more lanyard for me. I would have absolutely had a heart attack if I would have missed Tad Morose.

Bryant

now back to our regularily scheduled thread...

First night I climb in the elevator with 3 guys, all looked like they were in a band... blond guy looked really familiar but I couldn't place him. I asked them if they were playing at the show (I'm not familiar with what all the bands look like, actually could probably only pull a few of them out of a hat with any accuracy)... 2 guys pointed at the blond guy, I said cool and left... It was Timo K. I've been a Strato fan since like 97 and I had no clue it was him. I thought he was taller and had brown hair. Oh well. I shook his hand later and told him how stupid I felt and he didn't seem to impressed. Heheh. Still cool about it though.

Sat night me and my friend went to the fairfield and adagio was sitting outside.we go up to them and ask "you guys are french right" and they say "yes" then we ask "have you heard of heavenly" and they say "yes" then we say " you gotta bring them over here" then the guitarist says something in french sounding all pissed off and we walk away.later that night we see four members of adagio outside again and we ask if we can have a picture and they say sure,so the 4 guys go stand in front of the hotel and my friend sees this dude sitting on the bench and he asks if he wouldnt mind taking a picture, not knowing it was the damn drummer of adagio,so he stays in his seat for a minute looking at my friend like wtf then he finally grabs the camera and takes two pictures of us with the rest of his band.

That is pretty bad. It really feels like there was more of this sort of thing than there has been during other years. I don't know it was the lighting, or everyone being dressed alike or what but it was hard at times to figure out who was who.

I myself am pretty much an old school fan who likes to listen to the music I love over and over I'm not really into surfing the net looking at pictures of the people who make it. So when progpower comes along I'm a little slow on recognizing who is who even if I am a huge fan. Hell, I often times play Adagio's two albums back to back, very often, and I still had to double check with Ben before talking to them.

To make matters worse I sometimes say names wrong because I'm the only person I know in a 3 hour radius who likes this type of music. I can go months, if not years with out meeting anyone who knows better.

If you want to not have to deal with this next year there are a few things you can do.

*Go to the bands site a few weeks before the event to look for updated pictures.

*Bring with you an album insert. They usually have band pics in them.

*Ask somebody. Looking dumb to a fellow metal head is better than looking like a douche to a band you really like.

*Ask them what band they are with and do so nicely. Note: How they react to that depends on your delivery, and how full of themselves they are. Some people are just dicks, so beware.

*Just leave them alone. You don't have to talk to them for them to know you are a fan. You payed for their albums and you dropped the cash to go to ProgPower to see them. Buying their music means more to them than telling them your life story. Anyone can blow smoke up your ass about liking your music, but only a real fan will spend money on it.

*DO NOT call them the wrong band or person in hopes of them correcting you. Yeah you may have a really good idea of whom they are, and you may think it will be funny to find out by jerking their chain, but they have no idea you are trying to be funny. They may have had to travel a great distance without sleep, or may have just put on a really awesome set and they are now tired. But for whatever reason, there is a good chance they are not in the mood for mean spirited jokes. DO NOT make them.

As for this year I didn’t really do anything I can think of that was really that stupid. Well, other than destroying my inner mouth by eating steaming hot Chinese food while under the influence.

My friend and I were talking to ProgPower to get back in time for Kamelot and we saw Edguy in Subway. We just stood there, looked, then kept walking for a while and decided to go back. We got there when they were leaving and basically said nothing ... I'm a fucking wimp!

I was at the ATM machine on the second day when I see this hot guy walk by me. I knew I had seen him before, but couldn't place from where. Then it dawns on me it was Chris Caffery. So I yell out, "CHRIS" He turns around, as my money is coming out, I grab it, wave it in the air and say, "Hey!" He just looked at me and goes, "Hi" and walked away. LOL. I did not have good luck making a good impression on him that weekend. Oops.

-MetalRose

Hehehe funny stuff here. I guess a stupid moment for me was when I was hanging out backstage with Into Eternity and I got introduced to Shawn Drover from Eidolon and I was like "Hey cool, hows it going? So Your Bro got the Megadeth Gig, very cool" And Shawn did the spirn turn around finger gesture and Glen was right behind me chillin out, haha. I was " Oh hey dude, right on, congrats" Man I can be a dumbass sometimes, but hey shit happens right:loco:

Bear

Bear said:
Hehehe funny stuff here. I guess a stupid moment for me was when I was hanging out backstage with Into Eternity and I got introduced to Shawn Drover from Eidolon and I was like "Hey cool, hows it going? So Your Bro got the Megadeth Gig, very cool" And Shawn did the spirn turn around finger gesture and Glen was right behind me chillin out, haha. I was " Oh hey dude, right on, congrats" Man I can be a dumbass sometimes, but hey shit happens right:loco:

Bear

I think I was there for that, either that or someone else did the same thing! And now I remember why I have that picture of he and I!

-MetalRose

My (most) dumbass moment actually wound up being sorta cool... I had a borrowed camera and I had a "what does this do?" moment. I wound up with like 30 seconds of video of Tad Morose doing No Mercy, I think it was. Then I was looking around hoping I didn't get kicked out for filming, b/c I wasn't going to erase it if I didn't have to. :) The friend standing next to me says the look on my face when I realized what I'd done was priceless. (I promise it's only for personal enjoyment!)

As for not knowing who people were, I hardly ever do, and it doesn't bother me. I don't talk to the bands much anyway because I usually don't have a lot to say, so... it works out. :)

13ShadesofGray said:
Trying to catch a beer from Troy (IE) that he decided to "hand down" to me from the 3rd floor (I was on the 2nd) while holding Patrick's beer with my free hand. Can we say Beer Bath?
Aw, man, all the good stuff happens after I go to the room. I'm sorry I missed that.

...looking back at it now, I'm seriously feeling a bit embrassed and slightly stupid for performing my vagina imitation (now aptly titlted "The Mangina"!) for a few people, and then being asked to continously preform it on request over the whole weekend by others, bands playing the gig and even complete strangers. o_O

The guys in Brainstorm were so shocked... I think they purposly tried to avoid me the whole weekend out of disgust, but hell, the looks on thier faces were worth every minute of it! :tickled: sorry guys!

My wife was finding it to be getting quite old of course, but I continously kept the schtick up for those that asked to see it. If anyone missed it... Bear has proof of the Mangina's existance. :yuk: beware: hopefully your not too squemish and have a stomach for it if this pic ends up getting posted...

...what the hell was I thinking! :ill: ugggg.
I have a feeling I'll have to change my online persona to "Mangina". :cry:

\m/
Dustin

Dustin said:
...looking back at it now, I'm seriously feeling a bit embrassed and slightly stupid for performing my vagina imitation (now aptly titlted "The Mangina"!) for a few people, and then being asked to continously preform it on request over the whole weekend by others, bands playing the gig and even complete strangers. o_O

The guys in Brainstorm were so shocked... I think they purposly tried to avoid me the whole weekend out of disgust, but hell, the looks on thier faces were worth every minute of it! :tickled: sorry guys!

My wife was finding it to be getting quite old of course, but I continously kept the schtick up for those that asked to see it. If anyone missed it... Bear has proof of the Mangina's existance. :yuk: beware: hopefully your not too squemish and have a stomach for it if this pic ends up getting posted...

\m/
Dustin

You must have seen Puppetry of the Penis before! Can you do the "Hot Dog" or "Hamburger"?

OMG, I need a life.

-MetalRose

Bear said:

Bear

That was classic! I didn't know it was him either. I still like the wallet story better. =)

Dustin said:

\m/
Dustin

No Way! The mangina will live on in the hearts of every band member who saw it. They'll probably all start growing their own. ::sang to the tune of painkiller:: "He.. is.. the.. MAAAANGIIINAAAAHH!!!

MetalRose said:
But he's good at it!

-MetalRose

Something tells me your just as bad. =) Seriously of all the people I met this weekend you were by far the coolest!!

Squeak said:
Norm, you are horrible, you know that? :D

You know it!! BTW I'll be at the Pound this Friday to see the Iron Maiden's with Mike. Don't know if you were going to check it out or not. Those Umlaut guys are playing too.