Biggest Disappointments of 2009?

Well, unfortunately this one's easy for me.
Believe's 'This Bread Is Mine' was a huge let down. I tried and tried to like it, but to no avail. 'Yesterday Is A Friend' was such a beautiful album to these ears, and I had real high hopes for the new one, but everything starting with the new vocalist was a complete let down.
Oh well, can't win 'em all. It's been a good year otherwise.

I've listened to this album about a dozen times to complete my review for FIREWORKS magazine. It is not an easy fix...but it does repay repeated listens (if you are able to give it the time to let its magic work!) It is different to 'Yesterday Is A Friend' for sure, but I cannot agree that it is a complete let down!

I don't know what Gildenlow was thinking with the new EP... come on. It seems like he's never going to go back to the albums 99% of the fans love. I'm not asking for him to repeat himself, but at least give us the things we loved about PoS in the first place.
This new EP is void of everything I love about PoS... I find almost nothing to enjoy on the entire disc. Argh!

I have to agree with you Ken about Glass Hammer (what the hell were they thinking!!??)

I was a bit turned off by the Transatlantic lyrics in The Whirlwind. I think there were more subtle in their previous releases. And also, there are too many "Neal Morse sections" in this album...I probably enjoy the 2nd disc more than the 1st...

I liked the direction that Porcupine Tree did with The Incident but I just the concept didn't work well on the title song. I don't know...it just didn't hit me like Deadwing or In Absentia...even FOABP...Don't get me wrong, I know I listed it in my top 15 but that's because it also features some amazing moments like I Drive the Hearse, Circle of Manias...

And finally, Trans Siberian Orchestra's Nightcastle. I think it has too much filler (the best material could have easily fitted into one cd) and the production was lacking. You can barely hear the drums (they sound too thin). And imo, it lacks the dynamic and depth of their previous albums...

Agreed with all of this, tho TSO isn't so much a disappointment than it is more of the same. That isn't bad in itself, but considering the lack of Savatage-related music, it is disappointing.

With the other two, neither album has made much of an impact with me so far. With Translatlantic, that time has been very limited so far. Maybe it will grow on me.

The Mars Volta - Ochedron

I haven't picked it up yet, but I tend to agree with what they said in concert: basically it is their band and they are going to do the music they want to do. Screw if it is popular with anyone else. Personally, I haven't heard the new album yet, but what I saw live didn't sound bad to me.

This probably applies to PoS as well, and I have yet to be disappointed with anything they have done so far. (Granted, I haven't heard Linoleum yet.)

Agents of Mercy-Mr. Stolt is still lost

Eh, the album isn't bad. The singer isn't to my tastes, but I thought the songs were solid. In comparison to some of his other collaborations it might be a little weak but I don't regret buying it.