Cheers and Jeers 2014

Cheers:
DaVinci's Pizza. Absolutely the best pizza I've ever had. I ate it all day long for four days in a row and couldn't get enough. Was going through withdrawals on the flight back home.

Jeers:
The music was pretty boring. Not a fan. I'll be back next year for more Davinci's.

+1

Jeer: is there any way to tone down some of the blinding light flashed into the audience? It got pretty harsh after several hours.

Cheer: Free ear plugs! And Nolets Gin in the bar (dutch gin with notes of turkish rose, peach, and raspberry - - all very metal, of course).

CHEERS:
- WEDNESDAY NIGHT!!!!! MILTON MILTON MILTON
- The Seventh Wonder Rail Clan. The guy next to me came from ITALY. Some great community and dedication there.
- Need! They didn't do much for me on disc, but man, they were INCREDIBLE live. What a fantastic opener on a fantastic day!
- LEPROUS LEPROUS LEPROUS LEPROUS LEPROUS LEPROUS
- Overkill for kicking our asses and being hilarious
- Seventh Wonder. Great performances, total pros, and the NICEST guys.
- Michael Eriksen. In general, Michael Eriksen.
- Everyone I shared a drink with, talked to, hugged - you're all great and it's a shame I have to wait another year to see you all again. <3
- Everyone who left great feedback on the punschrullar/dammsugare/weird green things!
- Sean C. Tibbetts for being HILARIOUS.
- I brought a ton of n00bs this year, and the ProgPower community immediately embraced them. This was my brother's first year, and he LOVED Overkill and JOP, and we had a whole bunch of New England residents come down for their first year. They all had a GREAT time, and they will be back next year!!!
- labarum and the Swag Pay-It-Forward we spontaneously formulated up front.
- THE BEER MECCA THAT IS HOP CITY ATLANTA.
- Ragnar during the Remedy Lane set. Holy SHIT those PIPES
- As always, H-Man the Epic Veal.
- GLENN AND JEN for hosting another great year!!

JEERS:
- Security on Friday for not letting my friend bring in his granola bars or banana. COME ONNNN
- The guy who was a total dick to my friend over a Pagan's Mind drumstick they CLEARLY caught at the same time. :/
- The vampire. He was being a total CREEP even before that and I'm so so so glad he got arrested, holy crap.

What vampire? Wtf?? Who got
Arrested?

JEER:
Walking in late (because I was booking a room) to Divided Multitude to hear the second of two drum solos (and an amazing cover of 'Perfect Strangers').* I detest drum solos.* I couldn't believe a band did two of them in a one hour set.

Probably because their own drummer had to miss the festival at the last minute, and drummer buddies from Withem and Pagan's Mind filled in at near-zero notice.

CHEERS:

Glenn, Jen and the ever amazing ProgPower Crew!!

Mother Nature for NO HURRICANE when flying in!!

All the bands for giving such amazing performances, bringing in special event merch and hanging out with all of us! YOU ARE LOVED!

Mat Sinner and Voodoo Circle: for putting up with me blabbing about VC finally live in U.S.!!

Roland Grapow and Masterplan for delivering the most orgasmic set I’ve waited soo long to hear!! And thanks Roland for signing EVERY Masterplan cd I had brought with me... You are Amazing!!!(not done at signing table)

Jon Oliva and JOP- for delivering the second best event I’ve ever witnessed ( 1st event US Fest 83).... just amazing, phenomenal, it truly was a once in lifetime and I’m so happy I was there to be a part of it!

Bill Hudson- for what you’ve accomplished my brother. I have never seen you so into the groove, focused, professional... I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!

Need- for totally kicking my ass first band, first set... WELL DONE DUDES!!

Pagan’s Mind- well for just being Pagan’s Mind. :)

Vespucci’s and Sausolito café for continuing to recognize the CA girls whether there are 3 of us or just 1.. Amazing food, great prices, they give Progpower attendees much love!!!

Lance King and Nightmare records for such great coffee to take home and of course the limited edition merch./ music. And for letting me slide on that $1. LOL

Tom and Jonas for the Ltd. Evergrey listening party and hanging out with us all weekend. Can’t wait to see Evergrey in L.A. again!!! RAINBOW RUN!!!

Anyone and everyone who offered me advice, advil, alcohol or any way to remedy the bruised ribs I had.

Hanging with all the PP family, old friends, new friends, you all know who you are, dates for 2015 given to landlord, see ya next year!!!

JEERS:

To the asshole scalper Thursday and Friday.. I turned you in twice and I’ll do it again and again.

To the underage drinkers: keep your shit in check.. Let’s not have CenterStage close ‘cuz you can’t hold your liquor!!

The bartenders for continuing to serve people who approach the bar on a diagonal line, stumbling poorly.... really.... You all need to know when to cut people off.

The douchebag who thought it was cool to approach a woman and start rubbing her shoulders, or leaning in for a kiss..... NOT COOL and you’re lucky not one of us kicked your small sack!

Airtran for just being AirTran... never again!

To the backline suppliers.... fresh batteries in the mic's please.

Having to wait 364 more days.......

Cheers:
...to Glenn, Jen, Nathan, Milton, all of the crew, volunteers, Centerstage staff, security....thanks for making it happen again. You can't please everybody and you put up with so much crap from a lot of us (i.e. see the rest of this thread), and yet you still put on an unbelievable well run event. Thank you!
...to everyone who bought a ticket and sold out the show way in advance so that Glenn reconsidered closing this thing down. Let that be a lesson for ya'll....it really almost happened.
...to the great attendance at the Kick-off show. Some of those have suffered in the past, it was great to see the place packed again on Thursday night.
...to the bands that don't use pre-recorded backing tracks and actually perform live.
...to overall pretty decent sound.
...to a seemingly well stocked merch table this year
...to an overly long changeover before Pain of Salvation which allowed us to go grab some dinner outside of the venue and make it back to see the whole POS set; even the aborted first song and re-start.
...this year's lineup. I saw every band this year (not including Wed night), even the bands I don't like. They all surpassed the 3-song test and made me stick around...even Leprous and POS.
...that there was some kind of a food option in the venue, only used it once however.
...for Seventh Wonder's Saturday morning set - awesome!
...to the Withm and Pagan's Mind drummers for stepping up and learning some songs quickly so that Divided Multitude could still perform as their drummer had VISA issues and didn't make the trip.
...that there was more beer choices available at the venue than I remember in the past.
...for "VISA Guy" Marc Gessford for starting Metalheads For Life non-profit organization.
...Anathema and Riverside playing next year.

Jeers:
...I miss the first row or two of seats that were removed. Those seats were always open to those of us standing on the floor that needed a break now and then during a long set, or between sets.
...Lack of multiple bars open and/or bartenders in the afternoons. Poor Whitney was swamped early and often at the main bar.
...No food at Vinyl or at least another food option in the venue for that long of an event.
...Restrooms became a mess in a hurry, and stays that way for most of the day/night. Guys are slobs, I miss the attendant from when I first came here.
...Those newer LED lights - blinding and unnecessary.
...Profanity from the stage. Not needed, this is an all-ages show. Vulgarity doesn't automatically impress me (unless it's Tobias from Edguy).
...Barely able to hear Alex Beyrodt's guitar in the Voodoo Circle set. I mean, the guy's name is across the top of the banner for the band. We ought to be able to hear him!
...David Readman's microphone issues and his reaction to them. He could've handled it better, and I didn't appreciate him publicly slamming the situation for all to hear. I s'pose maybe he should've stopped the show and had the band start over...? Similar whining from Rick Altzi...take it off stage please.
...No females in any of the bands this year.
...The tall crazy guy that just cannot figure out why he keeps getting kicked out every night.

See you next year!

UNEXPECTED CHEER:
To the sloshed guy hitting on every girl that moved Friday in the Courtyard.* Enough has been said about this Bitey McBiterstein, but I've some good news for you.* Earlier that evening, before he decided to go for a little blond snack, I saw him holding an empty* plastic cup.
- He walked up to the Artmore fountain.
- He filled his cup from the water in the Artmore fountain.
- He DRANK the water from the Artmore fountain!
I've some of the things and people in that fountain.* HE DRANK THAT WATER!* Forget the alcohol poisoning and the cops.* I think that water alone is going to make him suffer.* Cheers!

No way! That was the vampire?! I'm so glad we saw that...kind of.

Cheers:
The couple in front of me during "This Heart of Mine" singing every word to each other and making me cry all of my tears.

Leprous for destroying the place and making me look like an idiot.

RIVERSIDE AND ANATHEMA NEXT YEAR

Everyone who tweets updates using the #ppusa hash tag, that's seriously so crucial to timing eating and drinking in between sets correctly. Y'all are saints.

Old Crow for always going down so smooth.

:kickass: :kickass: No hangovers! :kickass: :kickass:

Jeers:
People having conversations during sets, especially quiet ones. Come on, man. Take it somewhere else.

The airline responsible for losing PoS's gear in Kenya. WE WERE SUPPOSED TO GET IDIOGLOSSIA?!?!

Blinding LED lights, holy crap.

People having conversations during sets, especially quiet ones. Come on, man. Take it somewhere else.

I hate this. Not just at PP, but I see this at all shows. I don't mind people whispering in each other ear's as an aside or something they notice, but full on conversations, especially during quiet songs is just rude honestly.

I do have a question, seeing as how this was my first PP. People seem to bring up the fact that both nights ran quite late, and I just assume from going to other festivals that this is normal. Do they usually stay on schedule? I wasn't really upset about it because I expected it I guess.

I do have a question, seeing as how this was my first PP. People seem to bring up the fact that both nights ran quite late, and I just assume from going to other festivals that this is normal. Do they usually stay on schedule? I wasn't really upset about it because I expected it I guess.

usually the show runs pretty much on time, but as Glenn might say "shit happens" :lol:

They've run that late in the past, but after last year - which was super tight and got us out at a reasonable hour - I think people were a little thrown.

I hate this. Not just at PP, but I see this at all shows. I don't mind people whispering in each other ear's as an aside or something they notice, but full on conversations, especially during quiet songs is just rude honestly.

The best is when they are standing right next to a speaker and have to yell their conversation over the loud music.