Cheers and Jeers!

nailz

Nov 11, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
PLEASE KEEP YOUR JEERS PROFESSIONAL AND RESPECTFUL TO THE PROGPOWER CREW, BANDS AND FANS. THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO BITCH ABOUT THE FESTIVAL OR THINGS THAT YOU DIDN'T FEEL FAIR.

Cheers:

Glenn - Awesome festival as always. Thank you so much for letting me in on Sabaton Sponsorship. So worth every penny.

Glenn's Crew - You guys are fucking amazing.

Jen - You're a sweetheart! Thanks for introducing yourself!

Drew, John, Ian, MetalRose, Ed and Milton - It's always great to see the 6 of you, especially, year after year.

Rich, Greg, Erik, Justin - You guys also kick ass!

Ok.. let me see.. Ann Marie, Tammy, Shaye, Paul, J-man, Kilimvar, Dave, SkiBum (sorry man, forgot your name!), Miguel, Katie - These are just who I remember off hand meeting for the first time, or again this year, it was wonderful to chat with all of you! Finally! Or Again!

The Su - Especially this girl. Especially the Cider. Especially everything you do to help out the fan-organization! Rockin!

All the bands - Again, like every year, we got to see you all mingle among us like long lost friends. You help make the festival special because of this more than your sets. Every year, bands do this, even if they've never been here. It's absolutely wonderful, and we all appreciate it.

Esa and Allan - Thanks for the great shots. I'm sorry If I got in your way a few times, and I wanted to introduce myself, especially to Esa, but I didn't want to bug you while you were working. hehe... maybe next year. Thanks for all the tips, too. Allan, hope we see you back!

The Artmore for putting up with us on Saturday. Glorious. We made such a mess. LOL!

The lighting for the set - it was phenominal. Photogs everywhere love you.

Cage - for sticking the mic in my face and letting me sing "I am the king" :) I eat that shit up.

Special thanks to Jolkim and Rico of Sabaton for chatting with me.

Jeers:
My CF Card killing itself. I'm running Data Recovery on it. I should be ok.
Fucking Super 8 Motel. ugh.
Drew cockblocking me on beer on Thursday night. (though, I guess I needed it.)
Uh.. nope, I think this is really it for my jeers section!

Cheers:
Not that many towels in chairs this year.
The sound mix was spot on for every band from first note to last. (except for Royal Hunt's first song).
Pagan's Mind.

Jeers:
Two people reserving/saving a WHOLE ROW! WTF...
Some pretty strong B.O. from the guy behind me during Pagan's Mind.

Cheers:
Glenn- 'Nuff said.
Shane- Ditto
Crew- Same
Jax- I didn't win, but "Thank you," anyway.
Bands- Like them or not, quality acts every single one.
Sound- The past 2 years the sound has been exceptional.
Sentinal Steele for having the only copy in the house of what I was looking for, in special edition, cheep.
Zod and Paula looking like bobbleheads in a blender during Osiris' Eyes.

Jeers:
"A really badly placed on/off button," on the main mic.
The return of drum raiser spotlights. (Cheer- Keeping them out of the audience's eyes on Saturday).

Cheers:
- Practically every band was spot on. People complained about Royal Hunt but I thought they were fantastic. I think some people think that to have a good performance you have to be running around full-tilt with high energy. These guys are probably the best musicians on the bill next to Fates Warning and they are just good players, but they don't utilize all their energy like Sabaton and why should they?

- Vendors were kick ass. Though that's probably a bad thing too as I came home3 today with a hole in my wallet.

- Organization.

- To Glenn for letting non gold badgers in early on Saturday.

- The bands' willingness to hang out with the fans more than usual.

- Probably the best concert experience of my life.

JEERS:

- Saved seats!!!!! Seriously! Something needs to get done about this, but I don't know how. If no one in your party is present, don't be a jerk and put something on the chair to save your seat. I noticed when I was down on the floor there were several open seats, which shouldn't happen.

- A couple of audio mistakes. It seems this year there were more technical mistakes. No one's fault though. Shit happens and when it did, it got fixed pretty quickly.

- Suspyre. Okay, I was wrong about all bands. I personally loved and still love Suspyre as a recording artist, but did anyone else find them to have virtually no stage presence. I know I did. I think the lead singer tried too hard to get the audience riled up too and it just was more annoying than anything else.

Cheers
- Enchant, Cage and Sabaton for exceeding my every expectation.
- Seeing Orphaned Land and Brainstorm again.
- The Crimson Glory set (*) for being a well-executed tribute to Midnight.
- The vendors for helping me lighten my wallet completely.
- Not waking up with the hangover I expected.

Jeers
- "Saved" seats. I saw pillowcases (some personalized!!), towels, bags, and even pieces of freaking paper being used to claim prime real estate.
- Having to sit through 6 Astronomica tracks during what was supposed to be a Midnight tribute. Coming after a delayed start, that was a mood-killer.
- Waiting 50 minutes on Friday to get my Downburst booklet signed by Brainstorm, only to be told that their flight was delayed. That was fine, but I waited another 30 minutes Saturday (missing a good chunk of Orphaned Land's set) only to have the same guy (who I know, and who knew I waited close to an hour the day before) cut the line off right in front of me. I could have dealt with that too, but after I moved on, he let 5-6 other people (some who didn't wait at all) go through the line. That I can't help but take personally.
- Vodka, for betraying my undying love in a most harsh and unforgiving manner.

At the moment, I have no jeers other than my own failing health that limits the amount of time I can stand. ugh

I think this year was all CHEERS!!!!

Thank you once again Glenn and the hard working crew for yet another amazing weekend! :)

Cheers
-awesome musicians who weren't divas (least, they weren't to me)
-succeeding in getting all bands back to their hotels by 3am on Saturday
-a kickass boyfriend who helped keep me stress-free
-the guys (and gal) from Brainstorm, Circus Maximus, Fates Warning and DSO
-my friends, who I was actually able to spend a wee bit more time with
-the most awesomest of Minions, Patrick, who rocks my socks
-my most awesomest of boss' (since he's the only boss I have), Glenn
-being able to make Su smile more than she has in the last 5 months
-my crew family for just being so cool

Jeers
-the divos I did have to deal with
-traffic on P'tree during rush hour

*holy shit, I can't think of more jeers! rock on!

JEERS - Waiting 50 minutes on Friday to get my Downburst booklet signed by Brainstorm, only to be told that their flight was delayed. That was fine, but I waited another 30 minutes Saturday (missing a good chunk of Orphaned Land's set) only to have the same guy (who I know, and who knew I waited close to an hour the day before) cut the line off right in front of me. I could have dealt with that too, but after I moved on, he let 5-6 other people (some who didn't wait at all) go through the line. That I can't help but take personally.

and those 5 or 6 people went on through even though I all but physically restrained them. Same thing happened a couple of other times through the weekend. So before you take things 'personally', take it up with me directly next time. I don't have a freakin' LIST of names of people who waited in whichever line for how long.

You think I enjoy cutting a line? When a band says "we need to be done by [a set time] because we have a ride to catch", I have to answer to them - not the people in line.

Justin - I know exactly what you're talking about because I've been cut off in a line before (not just at ProgPower in my early days, but at places like Dragon*Con), just to see a few late comers try to sneak in and grab a picture or an autograph because they're too GODDAMNED LAZY to stand in the line to start with. And the band doesn't typically want to be the douches who refuse an autograoh or a picture so they wave them on through - thus making the person who had to cut off the line to start with look like the bad guy.

So before you snap to judgment on who's doing what as a personal attack against you, take a moment to look at the big picture, alright?

I'm too tired to post my cheers and jeers right now. Quick cheers to Nailz for letting me borrow one of his camera lenses for the Sabaton set. Great pictures, and yes I'll share them with the PP family soon.

Good night, will post tomorrow :)

Cheers-
Mindcrime and Pamela Moore
Primal Fear.... Just awesome!!!
Friday and Saturday night bands were just all AWESOME! I was blown away with all of them!
Numerous awesome memories made this year!

Jeers-
The video dudes blocking people on the stairs! I have a hard enough time seeing and then there's a dude in the middle of the stairs....

This was the wife and I's 2nd year and we had another great time:

Cheers:

Sabaton, FW, DSO, PM, Orphaned Land, and Mindflow blew our socks off. Simply amazing. :worship:
Josh, our favorite bartender.
Convenience of Residence Inn. Had time to run back to the room between shows and eat without missing a note.
New Redemption CD available.
A bunch of new friends we met - looking forward to hanging out with again next year.
Lighting was awesome!
No smoking inside! At least mostly no smoking....a wiff or two was tolerable.
And of course, Glenn and the crew for great organization and putting it all together.

Jeers:

Bathroom attendants - hey, I know how to turn the faucet on, get soap, and tear off a towel on my own - I guess someone needs a few bucks extra to earn but I'd prefer to handle my sanitizing by myself without feeling obligated to tip someone.....
Being really tired Friday night and not appreciating RH and CG as much as I should have.
A/C not working too well in our room in the RI
Not having as much money to spend on merch as I would like but 3 shirts and the new Redemption CD will have to do this year.

Jeers:

Some pretty strong B.O. from the guy behind me during Pagan's Mind.

So you must have been two people in front of me. Because I kept getting some major whiffs of BO from the guy in front of me.

Short list I can think of

Cheers:
DSO - For the type of music that could be hell to reproduce live, this band really pulls it off. Favorite set of the weekend and it went by far too fast.
Sabaton - Second favorite set of the weekend.
Georgian Terrace - Best hotel room I'd ever stayed in and I couldn't beat the price I got through Priceline. Plus it was a perfect distance from Vortex, Varsity, and Chicken & Waffles (and we even made time to catch some bands between stuffing our faces).
PPXI - Probably the most bands ever that I'm familiar with and I couldn't be more excited for next year.

Jeers:
DSO & Sabaton - For wiping me out during their sets. :p
Guilt Machine packaging (You can see my complaints in the "What did you buy" thread)

Also, what was the deal with the girl who got kicked out during Sabaton's set? Did they catch someone trying to record?

Cheers:
Pagan's Mind - Nothing needs to be said here, they are my fav band and in a league of their own.
Circus Maximus - Killed as always and awaiting their next release!
Mindflow - Awesome set! I recently got into those guys and they rule!
Crimson Glory - Awesome tribute and a great time with excellent vocalists!
Fates - Something very good

Jeers:
SEAT SAVING!! This is crap and the one of the things that really bothers me every year.

No digial cameras - I really don't understand why this isn't allowed anymore. I remember the explanation years ago, but I can't speak for other's intentions, but I just want good quality pics of my fav bands and that is all. I don't think anyone is out to make a buck on any of the bands. People are generally good hearted and honest that come to progpower. Just my .02

Lastly, it was a fun and a good time with some great friends :)

-Glenn...once again, you freakin rule! thank you for letting me be a part of this!
-Shane...hail!!! you kicked ass again this year!!! and thank you for helping me out - as soon as i am able to, i am going to repay you for your help. that meant so much to me (seriously, it did)
-Tommy - you rock! thank you for being there when i needed to help people out and get them what the needed and when. you are always amazing!!!
-DSO!DSO!DSO!DSO!!!!! i KNEW i was into this band, but dear gods, after seeing them live?!?! oh yeah---totally love them on a whole new level now!!!
-Glenn and Tommy for allowing to be a runner for 2 of the members of DSO (even if it was due to me being the only one who knew where to get cello strings!) -- they were 2 of the coolest guys you could ever want to meet -- major thank you Johannes and Pontus for the Swedish lesson (even though i can only say the one phrase...badly!) :) if you guys come back to the States, you know where to find your "social director"!!!
-The Granadamore...you guys finally get it! :) however: breakfast until at least 10 would be good ;) as well as dinner later than 1am ;)
-The line-up this year...i was really only into a few bands (DSO {duh}, PM and CM) when i got here...now, i have a plethora of new bands to check out, all of whom rocked my face off on-stage, and were really nice guys off-stage, as well
-DSO!DSO!DSO!
-The "forum poster"...as always, it was a great help!! and thank you so much for organizing it and making it happen!!!
-To my old friends...saying "see you next year" just gets harder every year...but damn - SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-To my new friends...THANK YOU! Nailz, you are very welcome for the cider - I'm glad i could help ;) and as for helping get things organized---it helps that i am really loud and obnoxious and people listen when i yell ;) hahahaha
-DSO!DSO!DSO!DSO!
-To the bands in general -- you guys are great! milling about with the fans is always a killer move, and it is SO awesome that you were all out there with us for so long :) you rock!
-DSO!DSO!DSO!
(edit)
-BabyMama...I wish it wasn't just once a year we got to hang out!!
-Jen, Tracie, Jax and Dawn for making the t-shirt table kick with awesomeness (and special thanks to Tommy for loaning his family to man the table for us later in the day!!)
-DSO!DSO!DSO!
(/end edit)
-To Bacon Dave - you so freakin rock, man! and not just cuz you buy us "double double double double bourbon and diets", either ;) mainly cuz you do freakin rock, and i am SO glad to have met you at IX...xoxoxoxoxo
-A very special thank you to my Squishy Giraffe - you rock beyond words!!
-A super-very-awesome special thank you to my Monkey...i heart you!!!

and again, so many thanks to Glenn - Lara, Tracie and I appreciate you letting us up front past the barrier, so we could get our swing-dance on during DSO's set...the band really loved seeing us get silly up there (they told us so!!), and i can never tell you how much it meant to me, as well...you fuckin rule, man!!!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Jeers:
having to say "see you next year" to so many kick-ass people
having to wait until next year for PPUSA-XI
having to come back to the real-world, where i am still job-searching
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
and that is all i have for now...i put this list into very general terms, but there are some super-awesome people that make PPUSA awesomer and awesomer for me every year, and i hope you guys know how much you mean to me...and how much i love you...it wouldn't be the same for me if i didn't get to see you guys every year...

honestly, it is going to take me the next month to get my thoughts in order about PPUSA...as it always does. but until then - i thank every single one of you, my ProgPower family, for making my 4th PPUSA even more amazing than my first (and it's hard to top your first ;))

xoxoxoxoxoxo

Originally Posted by Justin Gaines View Post
JEERS - Waiting 50 minutes on Friday to get my Downburst booklet signed by Brainstorm, only to be told that their flight was delayed. That was fine, but I waited another 30 minutes Saturday (missing a good chunk of Orphaned Land's set) only to have the same guy (who I know, and who knew I waited close to an hour the day before) cut the line off right in front of me. I could have dealt with that too, but after I moved on, he let 5-6 other people (some who didn't wait at all) go through the line. That I can't help but take personally.

This was an unfortunate situation. I am sorry that you had to wait and that the line had to be cut before you made it to the signing table. I, personally, walked through the line explaining the situation 15 minutes into their session. I also asked that people keep items to 3 per person and try to keep the line moving. But while I was doing that, we had people that obviously had a problem counting past 2. It is not easy trying to control overzealous fans who have no respect for the rest of the ones plying by the rules. I know for a fact, the guys from Brainstorm wish they could have kept going on to accommodate all of the fans. But having to reschedule put the guys on a tight schedule for the rest of the evening, giving them no choice but to keep it to 30 minutes. Personal jabs such as the one above is completely uncalled for. You could have left it at "Having to wait for 30 minutes and having the line cut right in front of you" and the same point would have been made. If this is still an issue, feel free to PM me and we can continue this discussion. It will not be continued on the forum.

Jeer to pizza saucing my chin, have a wicked blister! Kind of matches Ian's face though so that is kind of cool :) And, it was kind of funny.

Cheer
- to everyone and everything. I feel so lucky to be surrounded by so many freaking awesome people I can call my friends.
- to Shaye for being a good kisser ;)
- the Artmore for taking such awesome care of us the courtyard rocked day and night (love the story about the Sabaton guys going door to door inviting everyone out to the party)
- meeting new friends and getting to know old friends better
more more more