Cheers and Jeers!

A lot of us paid a lot of money to sponsor bands to be in front of the 'in front' barrier. While I do try my best to sympathise with those behind me, especially the shorter folks, I don't think much of it for the 2 songs I'm there for. I was the Photog guy going Apeshit for Sabaton their entire set, and if I was in your way at all, I appologise profusely. It's my MO to try and get the people who do not obstruct my view in front of me if possible. I did my best to move for people in the Pit too, but some of us camera jocky's really fight all out for real estate, which is very much "give an inch, take a mile."

All that said, if it happens next year, just tap me and ask me to scoot a bit. I don't mind.

It's totally cool, man. I'm just jealous of you guys with your cameras and your premium locations! Maybe one day I can afford to sponsor a band and be right up there, too.

In my opinion, this puts people who are attending alone at a disadvantage. (Which I did my first year). If you get to the venue early enough to stake out a seat, why should you have to give it up because you need to visit the bar/restroom/vendor room or attend a signing session in between bands? However, I did see a couple of large groups of "saved" seats this year that remained empty for entire sets. Definitely NOT cool. :mad:

Unfortunately, it does put the solo folks at a disadvantage, and I'm often that person, as the friend who usually comes with me skips many bands I want to see.

Honestly I'm not that crazy about people "savings seats" for friends, either, because from what I've seen, 90% of the time, the "friend" is gone for the entire band's show. So while an actual human "saving your seat" is FAR more reasonable than the pillow case/towel bullshit, if your friend is gone for more than 10-15 minutes (enough time for a bathroom/beer break), it's not their seat anymore, IMO.

I went to sit down in several different places for several of the bands, and was repeatedly told "sorry, this seat's saved" by someone. I noticed that at the end of the band's set, most of those seats were still empty. Screw those people. For the people who *did* come back soon, I have no complaint.

Cheers:
-Single day tix
-FW for a killer performance & setlist
-CM for a great show & their Final Fantasy and Jayce/Wheelwarriors tributes
-the CM drummer for joining PM for what was the highlight of their set
-new Redemption CD
-the vedors for having tons of great stuff
-the $5 PP 7&8 DVDs
-The Vortex

Jeers:
-SAVED SEATS!
-no goodie bag or program
-Slobs that throw trash on the floor
-the TONS of people taking digital photos on their phones
-not getting to harass Steve DiGiorgio
-the lack of prog in next years PP

CHEERS
- Seeing Eric, Ken, Denis, Mike, Jeff and all the vendors who treat me so well!
- ENCHANT who soldiered on through numerous technical issues (one being the bass player forgetting he didn't have a wireless on) to deliver a great set! i really enjoy a band who isn't afraid to show you they are having a great time up there.
- PRIMAL FEAR for doing what they do so well.
- SABATON for bringing the house down.
- ORPHANED LAND for offering us "peace from the middle east" (plus they kicked ass)
- CAGE for reminding us that leather will never go "out of fashion"
- BRAINSTORM for appearing to have partied too hard but never slowing down! Also for using SCORPIONS as their intro music.
- CIRCUS MAXIMUS for starting set with my favorite track
- the elevator to the parking deck! saved me from killing my injured foot all day making numerous runs to the car.
- Jon Allen of (SADUS/FUTURES END) for handing me a free CD after i drunkenly shouted "I LOVE SADUS!" in his face.
- Urban Breed being such a nice guy and talking with us down in the bar.
- Justin making the best vodka tonics i could ask for!

JEERS
- to me for not talking to Rob Rock when he sat 2 seats away from me during CM set. i mean i am not a fan boy, but i love his work and wanted to chat with him about reissuing JOSHUA disc. i blew that one! haha.
- traffic making us miss FUTURES END
- why it took so long for ENCHANT to be asked to PP. They are far better band that to be thought of us a "substitute"
- "Cash bar"? seriously. i can understand no tabs, but no CC purchase? with all that amazing merchandise to buy i didn't have deep enough pockets to carry all the cash i would have needed.
- saving seats
- Annoying blue start up screen or PP DVD advertisment running DURING various band's performances.
- CRIMSON GLORY set (see my posting in CG thread for specifics)

i am sure there is more of both, but need to get back to work!

Cheers
- The great shows put on by all the bands. Most notably Primal Fear, DSO, Sabaton, and Brainstorm.
- All my new and returning friends. You guys really make ProgPower the highlight of my year, every year.
- Vic the bathroom attendant. He has been there as long as I can remember and is always very friendly and helpful.
- Vespucci's spinach calzones
- The Artmore for tolerating our large parties in the courtyard.
- Newcastle Brown Ale
- VIP badge, it's fun being able to see the backstage workings.

Jeers
- Bank of America for fucking me out of all my ProgPower money.
- Business district food places for closing at retarded hours. I swear you could open a restaurant with your business model being solely "Stay open after 5" and be met with great success.
- Georgian humidity
- Developing a headcold that lasted exactly the entire duration of the festival.

Overall my complaints are very minimal and largely irrelevant to the festival itself. ProgPower was a great time, as always!

Photos - I know people want to take photos of the bands. Believe me, I was glad to have the privilege (remember, I paid for the privilege, it is not a right). However, there is a camera ban if you don't know about it. PLEASE RESPECT IT. I loved it that I saw several people get busted. I did see many people take photos. I wish I had the power to bust people because I would have busted about 10 people (sigh). I gave them dirty looks though.

Better someone use my lens than having it sit in my bag! That's for sure! I felt like this last year too, but Instead of being bitter about it, I just realised that it's inevitable that cameras are going to get in no matter what, and frankly, if they're willing to get thrown out, that's their problem. I don't give it a second thought anymore. I get better pictures anyway :) ... also, you have to figure not everyone knows about the rules, or misses the signs that were posted on the doors. It happens, I guess. Glad to see, however, some bootleggers were being thrown out.

i pulled the damn pillowcases off the seats. i can personally point out who did it. it was a VIP guy. then there was a dude who was also a VIP guy who basically took off his faux leather vest to put in a seat 4 down from him while the other seats held his beer, and a sack. what a freeking pud, this was RIGHT behind the sound board, and it was 1pm while fates warming was sound checking.

It's totally cool, man. I'm just jealous of you guys with your cameras and your premium locations! Maybe one day I can afford to sponsor a band and be right up there, too.

Hehe, cool. I just know what it's like. I had the (mis)pleasure of standing behind Swordlord for a bit one year. LOL.

<ducking and running>...

Don't duck you'll be at her level!

Just kidding babs:

Cheers:

-Glenn!
-Gonzo for buying my plane tickets
-Debbie and Annmarie for saying those lovely things to me.
-Old friends I can't even list them all, Drew, Nailz, shaye, Pellaz, Gonzo, J-man, Urban, Adam, Kitty, Zod etc... (Please don't be upset if I forgot you. It's not intentional. I got up at 6 am this morning... Really odd when the night before you were standing at the Artmore drinking and partying...)
-New Friends
-Vendors for having tons of Merch thanks for taking my money.
-Sabaton for hanging out (and providing some of the best stories of the weekend)
-Mind Flow for hanging out
-Old friends who've changed for the better. ;)
-The Artmore partiers.
-The ladies in the corsets!
-Scott and Christian for the drumsticks for Joey Sky!

Jeers:

-The Artmore's water. I think I got all of .0523 seconds of hot water at at time then freezing water. I understand the renovations, but hot water is a must. Jesus, who else is taking showers at 9 am on Sunday?
- Me for not having a totally off the wall decked out theme this year... Between the weddings and moving and the corset, just be happy I was standing.
-PatrickHoyt for successfully avoiding me all Saturday night so that I couldn't get him rip-roaring drunk as I promised. Next time... ;)

That's about it!

-MetalRose

i pulled the damn pillowcases off the seats. i can personally point out who did it. it was a VIP guy. then there was a dude who was also a VIP guy who basically took off his faux leather vest to put in a seat 4 down from him while the other seats held his beer, and a sack. what a freeking pud, this was RIGHT behind the sound board, and it was 1pm while fates warming was sound checking.

I saw shit down as early as 11am on Friday. VIP's should know better, but I have to wonder if maybe it was someone from the bands too. Either way, jeers all around for that practice.

Though, cheers to security for saving Glenn, Tommy, and that kid (who was that? He was having a blast and it was awesome to see) a spot during Sabaton's Set in the photo pit! I got a kick out of the police tape!

During the upcoming year I'll be more of a lurker than a poster. I spend way too much time on here (and other time wasters such as Facebook) so you won't see as much from me.

To quote Dr. X: "You can't walk away now.... (evil laugh)" :lol:

It was great catching up with you this year...can't wait to do it all again in 2010!

By the way, love the avatar -- that *would* make a kick ass license plate!

Quickly.....

Cheers to Glen and Shane...thank you for doing, once again, a phenomenal job.
Cheers to The Crew....I more clearly understand why you all do what you do..and I thank you.
Cheers to the "Sound Guy" who I normally go out of my way to thank...and neglected to do so this year...thank you.

No Jeers worth mentioning....I'm easy.

The Artmore did an outstanding job of "hosting" the after concert social each night. Not so sure they really understood what was going to really occur, but gotta love them for letting us all rock on....and on...and on.....

And to everyone there....thank you...you make it that much harder to return to real life.

See? I told ya you shoulda flown yourself! :lol:

Considering that cost us around $2500 to do that year, I won't be doing that again any time soon. Next time I do it will be in my own plane and I'll be taking pick up requests. ;)

CHEERS:
  • All the PPUSA attendees. I haven't laughed so much in a long time. It was great to talk everybody we've known for years, and to people I just finally met this year. You guys are all cool as hell!
  • To the amazing performances this year. AFAICT, every band put on a great show. I most enjoyed Sabaton, Fates, DSO, Cage, Mindcrime, Brainstorm, and Pagan's Mind (in no particular order).
  • To the band members who were just cool as hell and hung out with us mere fans all weekend, especially, Circus Maximus, Sabaton, DSO, Mindflow, and Chris Salinas. I know some of the other band members were floating around, but it seemed like every time I turned around I was seeing one of the members of the above bands (and Chris).
  • Again to the PPUSA attendees, but for a different reason this time. How many metal concerts (or any concert for that matter) can you go to and not see one instance of people getting in other people's face, or getting drunk and obnoxious? I didn't see any potentially violent interactions all weekend, and the people who did get over served that I saw were generally not a problem to anybody around them (other than maybe getting sick in their vicinity or wobbling into them). Definitely no obnoxious drunks and no fight starters.
  • To cool people to share our room with (Bobby and Nick). We ended up spending just a tiny bit more for the whole weekend than we would have spent just for the room if we hadn't split the room. Not only did it help us out, but they are cool and nice people too.
  • Forgot to add the Artmore for being very accommodating to us this year. The courtyard is THE PPUSA party place now.
JEERS:
I only have one....
For reservations for the Artmore being at 10am on Saturday morning. I appreciate the fact that some of the Artmore staff came in on their day off to do that for us, and that they had three offices set up to handle those reservations as quickly as possible. However, I've got two gripes about it:
1) The show the night before ended at 2:30. Most people are going to party or hang out for at least a little while. Why make the reservation process start at 10 o'fucking'clock in the morning? I got three hours of sleep before than, then missed lunch because I had to go back to sleep until 2 so I would be dead for Saturday.
2) As a long time gold badge holder, I'm a bit miffed at not getting first crack at reserving a room for next year. Having the dates announced and being able to make reservations on Saturday IMO didn't do anybody but the hotel any favors. I'm sure the reason for it was that if the Artmore was going to reserve the entire hotel for PP XI, they wanted to get as many rooms sold ASAP as possible. Wouldn't it have been possible to have the dates announced to the gold badge holders today or even next week, and to everybody the week after to meet the Artmore's need for reserving rooms ASAP?

Having gotten my rant out, it's really not that big a deal. My main gripe was it being so early (in PPUSA hours) in the morning.

This was my best PPUSA ever. After the weekend was over, I didn't feel any regret whatsoever. I got to see as much live music as I wanted over the weekend. I was pleasantly surprised at the performances of the bands this year as I went in not really looking forward to any performance (I've seen Fates several times in the past). I got to hang out with my friends (both old and new) much more than I would have guessed. I partied a bunch, but never got a hang-over. At the end this year, I was just exhausted and happy. It was the perfect PPUSA.

How could I forget to Cheer Glenn and The Crew for putting this party on for us every year. If you keep doing it, I'll keep sending money (even when, like this year, I don't really have the money to spend) and showing up.

Cheers... everyone. I told my brother, who was attending his first ProgPower and didn't know what to expect, it's the coolest f**king group of people on the planet.

I love being right.

Zod

Cheers-
*To Glenn and crew for making it possible for me to see 4 of my all time fave bands in one hit-Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus, Fates Warning and Crimson Glory. Made an Aussie boy very happy indeed.
*Mindflow, Enchant and Royal Hunt for putting on great sets.

Jeers-
*Red eye flights
*Post PP sore throat
*People up the front standing round like statues not getting into the bands at all.

Though, cheers to security for saving Glenn, Tommy, and that kid (who was that? He was having a blast and it was awesome to see) a spot during Sabaton's Set in the photo pit! I got a kick out of the police tape!

I believe that was Tommy's son, he's a huge fan of Sabaton. Cool kid too.

Jeers:

-PatrickHoyt for successfully avoiding me all Saturday night so that I couldn't get him rip-roaring drunk as I promised. Next time... ;)

That's about it!

-MetalRose

I wasn't trying to avoid you, it just happened that way. I didn't get done with my portion of the driving until well after 3 AM. Which was definitely ok, because if I hadn't of been available to help Tommy after I dropped off Fates then he would have been there till 5 AM and that's no fun.