PPUSA XVI - Cheers and Jeers

Cheers:
- Major ones to Glenn and Jen for doing what you do to make this festival happen...especially with all the problems beyond anyone's control.
- A separate "THANK YOU" to Glenn and Jen for the "no charge" VIP/Gold Badge exclusive acoustic show by Anathema. It was one of the highlights of the festival for me and I do appreciate it. It shows yet again why this is the best music festival around.
- Marc ("the visa guy"): for doing everything possible to wade through the idiotic red tape to actually GET the bands here, and letting Glenn and Jen focus on the business end of it instead of the bureaucracy.
- The Crew: The festival always runs well, but this year was one of the smoothest from what I could tell...more "on schedule" than I'd ever expect, and with FEWER hiccups than would be reasonable.
- The Bands: For making the music we love, and the sacrifices it requires to take time out of your own lives to write it, record it, and come play for us.
- Shreddy and everyone else who helped me look for my camera after Voyager's set (and yes, it was recovered). THANK YOU!!

Jeers:
-First and foremost, to the woman who was sitting next to us during Dragonland's set. Seriously?? Take a fucking bath. Use some goddamn deodorant. Do SOMETHING. You actually ran us out of Dragonland's set due to the ungodly stench that emanated every time you raised your hands to cheer for the band or take a picture. I do not have a weak stomach and genuinely gagged a couple of times. Later, we were sitting two rows back and three seats down from you and STILL got an occasional blast of the stench. Have some respect for yourself and others, please.
-Sausalito's: For moving too far away for us to stop by this year. Last year we ate over half our meals there!! Missed the great food!
-Me: My girlfriend was tired and wanted to lay down after Royal Hunt's set to give her back a break since we had 45 minutes before Angra started. I laid down for a break, too, and actually thought "I should set an alarm in case we fall asleep." My phone was on the room's desk and I didn't feel like getting up to get it to set one. So, of course, I woke up at 2:30am, having completely missed Angra's set, and was so annoyed at myself for it that I didn't even go back to the Artmore to hang out with everyone and I regret that as much as missing Angra.
-The ProgPower Plague....managed to avoid it last year, but this year it got me good. Finally starting to feel better today.

Seriously, then get up if someone comes back, it's a pretty easy system to work around.

I'm generally a really nice, reasonable guy, and I agree with what you said...to a point.

To the "seat savers":

1) If there's a human being there saving your seats, I'll explain to them that I'm going to sit down but I'll gladly move if/when you come back. No problem and I've never had anyone complain about that. Most of the time, I leave before they come back, anyway.

2) But if it's just a bag, a towel, or whatever other crap and that's it? You're going to have to move me yourself, and I promise it will not be easy. I've had loud exchanges previous years with people that did come back and insisted that I was in "their" seats and had to move. I did not and will not.

It's a general admission show. Period. The only thing that saves a seat in my opinion is either an ass in it or an ass in the seat next to it that knows your ass.

Get over it and get over your narcissistic selves.

I can't really add too much to the Cheers this year, and I can't sing the praises of Glenn, Jen and the crew highly enough. Here's some extra bonus cheers....

-- To Voyager for playing "Iron Dream." Wasn't expecting it and I was wiping away tears...and hoping Mark Gromen, sitting behind me, didn't notice. :) I played it again on the radio Friday night (after a request for Type O Negative)...and got a little teary-eyed again.

-- To Angra for Holy Land. It's always been one of those seminal albums in the genre and seeing it performed live was really special. (Glenn tweeted pretty much the same thing about the album's performance, and it was a real pleasure rocking out next to him in the photo-pit.)

-- To next year's lineup, which is truly stellar. It could end up being the fastest PPUSA sellout ever. :yow:

-Sausalito's: For moving too far away for us to stop by this year. Last year we ate over half our meals there!! Missed the great food!

Umm, they were literally 60 seconds' walk north of the venue doors, a half-block away. I only wish we'd realized this earlier during the weekend. (And thanks to Jen for noting their move from Peachtree St down to W. P'tree, otherwise I'd have thought they were gone forever.)

It's a general admission show. Period. The only thing that saves a seat in my opinion is either an ass in it or an ass in the seat next to it that knows your ass.

That's pretty much it, in a nutshell. :D

The good:

Milton: Thanks for the T-Shirts
Bands: Falconer, Helker, Voyager and R.Hunt - All made me cry!
The Organization: No delays.

The Bad:
Cancellations. I wont blame anyone but I will not exonerate anyone, either!

Yeah, that's, at best, very puzzling. Basically no one could be held at fault for any of this year's cancellations. Well, except the USCIS.

Very disappointing to read after all of the explanations provided.

I'm biting my tongue with what I really want to respond with,so I will just quote you and leave it there,you pulled more rabbits out of the hat this year than anyone could reasonably expect,and we see a post like you just responded tl...

The Bad:
Cancellations. I wont blame anyone but I will not exonerate anyone, either!

is there a reason you are being an ass?? this has nothing to do with Glenn or the bands, but the US Gov't. Glenn worked his ass off to make the best of the situations being thrown at him. Personally, I think he did a kick ass job!! If you don;t, then you will be in the VAST minority here. :fu:

Umm, they were literally 60 seconds' walk north of the venue doors, a half-block away. I only wish we'd realized this earlier during the weekend. (And thanks to Jen for noting their move from Peachtree St down to W. P'tree, otherwise I'd have thought they were gone forever.)

Seriously??? I didn't have Jen's post on me with the new address, so I asked someone where they'd moved to and they said it was pretty far away. I should have verified it myself. Bummer!! We'll be sure to visit next year...thanks for the clarification!

Longtime lurker that finally came down from new england to see the show.

Cheers- Awesome performances by Dragonland, Evergrey, Voyager, Native Construct, Falconer, and Royal Hunt (the other bands were all good too, but those were my favorites). It was a total dream come true to see Dragonland and Falconer because I thought it would never happen in both cases. The people in dragonland, voyager, and falconer were also very accessible to fans and friendly and cool with us all.

The vendor area was small but also cool. One vendor that had some really cheap $10 shirts from some bands like korpiklaani, Candlemass, Eluvetie, and Summoning (!). I never in my life dreamed I would be buying a Summoning shirt IRL.

I'd also like to thank some of the friendly attendees I talked to and who gave suggestions for places to eat. I had a lot of short but pleasant conversations. I also appreciated that the AC as on at centerstage. Also, Davinci's for being really cheap and decent pizza. And uber for being surprisingly awesome.

Jeers-
The leftover mess: both in the chairs and on the main floor. Come on people, we are adults and not juggalos... put your trash in the garbage.

The jerk who rudely shoved two of my friends out of their spots near the front for voyager. When politely confronted, he said he would move when the band started and was just chatting with his friends. Then he didn't move. Also, all of the people who put. Some people are saying that you can just move someone's bag on a chair, but that's a good way to start a fight. In both cases, just don't be a dick... respect the people around you who may have been waiting longer to get a good seat for the band they want to see than you have.

Also, a self jeer for not staying at the official hotel, instead we stayed at some air bnb... it would have been fun to hang in the courtyard.

Seriously??? I didn't have Jen's post on me with the new address, so I asked someone where they'd moved to and they said it was pretty far away. I should have verified it myself. Bummer!! We'll be sure to visit next year...thanks for the clarification!

Sorry you missed it. I actually tweeted about Sausalito's twice:

https://twitter.com/progpowerusa/status/641306550301237248

https://twitter.com/progpowerusa/status/641772978020163584

I realize not everyone has Twitter, but one can still check/bookmark the URL for our tweets since our profile is public.

~Jen

One more jeer.

I loved Royal Hunt's performance and they were incredible. That said, considering they brought backup singers last time, I found it odd they had those tracks piped in. It would've been MUCH better had real backups been performing. Does anyone have info on this? Was it simply due to lack of funds?

Same jeer here. They had two very cute backup singers last time, and this time, with DC back, playing the entire Paradox, they could not afford them?

Some people are saying that you can just move someone's bag on a chair, but that's a good way to start a fight. In both cases, just don't be a dick... respect the people around you who may have been waiting longer to get a good seat for the band they want to see than you have

Those complaints are really directed at the people who put towels or program bags in good seats and then walk away expecting them to be saved all day, not the person who gets up to get a drink or use the bathroom.

Cheers?

All my crew mates. You guys RULE!

Jeers?

Only one. Dear Mr. Smoke Machine. Ease up a little brah. Hint: When you can no longer see the band, that's TOO MUCH SMOKE!

LOL, if you're talking about Angra, it was done at the band's request. I know it because I communicated it to Mr. Smoke Machine. Yes. It was my call. :lol:

-M

LOL, if you're talking about Angra, it was done at the band's request. I know it because I communicated it to Mr. Smoke Machine. Yes. It was my call. :lol:

No. That made sense. It was THE BIG INTRO (queue ominous music) so I could see fogging up the stage.

I was just talking in general. Haze for the lights is one thing. Obscuring the stage is another.