PPUSA XVI - Cheers and Jeers

CHEERS
* first "solo" year vending was a big success
* talking to so many cool people and hearing great stories about their enjoyment of our reissues
* the great ideas people gave us for the future
* HELKER, ANATHEMA and all the other bands I was able to make it inside to watch this year
* FATES WARNING 2016!!!
* the gravy at The Flying Biscuit
* Dreamland BBQ
* Nerd Alert beer

JEERS
* the biggest A**HOLE of the festival who stole my signed Anathema "Weather Systems" LP from behind the Divebomb Records table when I had closed down to go watch Soto.
* the cleaning crew for throwing away all my empty cardboard boxes, despite my still needing them the next day. Lance was apparently brave enough to go dumpster diving!!

Matt, don't forget the drunk, dickheads that were sitting behind us during the Anathema set.

~Brian~

Jeers:

I usually don't like do these, but this one had to be said. Right before the video for next year, Marc the visa guy was making a moving speech asking for our support for http://metalheadsforlife.org/, a charity that supports children with cancer, which his own daughter had. He works all year to get the visas for the bands and just wanted to ask for our help in supporting children with cancer. There was a group on the floor that was ignoring what he was saying and loudly chanting something I couldn't understand. This is so far beyond rude and disrespectful that I couldn't believe it. Then they continued these loud chants during the whole video announcement for next year and were so loud I couldn't even hear the videos of the bands playing next year.

I was right next to them, and I was very close to going off on them...except that most likely would have made it even worse.

Jeers:

I usually don't like do these, but this one had to be said. Right before the video for next year, Marc the visa guy was making a moving speech asking for our support for http://metalheadsforlife.org/, a charity that supports children with cancer, which his own daughter had. He works all year to get the visas for the bands and just wanted to ask for our help in supporting children with cancer. There was a group on the floor that was ignoring what he was saying and loudly chanting something I couldn't understand. This is so far beyond rude and disrespectful that I couldn't believe it. Then they continued these loud chants during the whole video announcement for next year and were so loud I couldn't even hear the videos of the bands playing next year.

Yep, these guys really sucked with that behavior...

I agree that saving seats for an extended period of time (an entire set, for example) is bad for everybody, but saving them for a short period I think is acceptable.

I was with a group of people who saved seats when some of us would leave for a while. At all times someone was there.

During one of the sets, a person came up and sat down in one of the seats I was saving. I told him that he could stay there as long as he knew that they were coming back. He graciously moved when they did return.

People can save seats, plastic bags cannot.

I think the level of douchebagginess depends on whether the person left the seats unoccupied for a long period of time - or whether they just stepped out briefly to get a drink or buy a t-shirt before the next set started.

I have no problem with that.

I'm talking about the 1st row of seats when you come through the tunnel into the main area. They always have a towel on them yet they remain empty for most of the show.

Right, but it's blinding and distracting to the performers on the stage. ;)

Also, all it does it bounce light off of every head between you and the performers.

You're better off learning how to use your camera phone correctly to deal with low light than to add all of those reflections and piss off the band.

Also, all it does it bounce light off of every head between you and the performers.

You're better off learning how to use your camera phone correctly to deal with low light than to add all of those reflections and piss off the band.

^^ This. If your camera can't handle the lighting, then get closer, get a new camera, or don't take photos at all. All flashes do is light up the heads in front of you and annoy the performers.

Right, but it's blinding and distracting to the performers on the stage. ;)

Yup. It's just rude honestly. Also keep in mind, taking photos is a privilege, not a necessity. I take photos and am able to get good shots most of the time without a flash. However, I try not to do too much and enjoy the band believe it or not, so typically I'll do it for a song or two and possibly later in the set if there's a good photo opp. However, at the end of the day, these guys perform for the fans, not for photographers.

Speaking of flash, special mention goes out to the drunk jerk during the Angra set who kept shining a flashlight toward the band. During most of the set he was holding up a phone, presumably filming the set, but every once in a while he'd grab the mini flashlight that was strapped around his neck and shine it toward the band.

One more jeer.

I loved Royal Hunt's performance and they were incredible. That said, considering they brought backup singers last time, I found it odd they had those tracks piped in. It would've been MUCH better had real backups been performing. Does anyone have info on this? Was it simply due to lack of funds?

One more jeer.

I loved Royal Hunt's performance and they were incredible. That said, considering they brought backup singers last time, I found it odd they had those tracks piped in. It would've been MUCH better had real backups been performing. Does anyone have info on this? Was it simply due to lack of funds?

I thought it was funny that the guitarist and bass player had microphones in front of them, but they never sang into them.

Cheers:

Andy Dowling: Getting to meet him for the first time in 15 years! Hope to see Lord take that stage someday!

Visa Guy: The shit you went through must have been unbelievable. You're a saint for not going on a killing rampage.

Falconer: FALCONER! What a killer set, and setlist. I thought I was the only person who thought "Portals of Light" was a classic song, seeing that live was more than I could have hoped for.

Dragonland: For going on TWICE in two days.

Jeers:

The drunk girl who stepped on my foot in heels during Voyager's set: If you're going to get blackout drunk by 6, why bother coming?

One more jeer.

Probably one of my biggest disappointments about their set: the two backup singers (that they brought LAST time) would have really added the finishing touch. Far too classic of an album to be performed with backing tracks. Blah.

The Roommates of Awesome - next year, more peanut butter! :) yes, i'm already editing the shopping list :) thank you all for making life awesome, all year, and more so for the 4 days we're together <3
extra-special thanks to "Marty Wallet, the Heiney-Badger" for standing on line to get our room for next year.

More peanut butter? There are so many places to go with that. LOL. And yes, thank you, HB! That was above and beyond the call of duty at that ungodly hour of the morning! :Spin:

cheers: to everyone who helped put on a great show, over coming uscis issues thanks so much for your dedication.
jeers : just one nuclear blast are the biggest metal label on the planet YET they got stuck in the corner, and did not have alot of merch to sell! COME ON MAN

Big cheer for them though....new Amorphis for $10!!! Awesome...