PPUSA XVI - Cheers and Jeers

Those complaints are really directed at the people who put towels or program bags in good seats and then walk away expecting them to be saved all day, not the person who gets up to get a drink or use the bathroom.

Like you, I actually don't have an issue for someone getting up to grab a quick drink or hit the bathroom and expecting to come back to their seat. It's the "this bag saves my seat until the end of time" asshats that are the problem.

The problem is....how do we tell the difference????

If all I see is a bag or towel in a seat, is the person on their way back from the bathroom right now? Or are they out at Da Vinci's having pizza, then going to go take a nap during the next band, finishing up with a trip to the vendors before eventually meandering back to catch the headliner, expecting their seat to still be held by the almighty bag/towel?

How long do I stand there and wait to see if the person comes back in a reasonable amount of time to see what sort of bag-owner I'm dealing with here? (Yes, it's a ridiculous question and ridiculous expectation on their part).

There's no way to tell.

So, need to take a quick break? Do it one at a time. Most of us are sitting with friends, so if you want to return quickly to your seat, hit the head one at a time and your friend can tell people that "he's coming right back with beer for us." THAT'S WHAT WE DO, and it works very well.

Otherwise, when we come back in to catch the next band, I look for a seat. If none are truly empty (THEY RARELY ARE), I start looking for bags and towels to move. Once the band starts, it's really hard to find a seat in the near-dark, so I'M NOT MOVING at that point, even if you really did just run to take a quick break.

Why should I have to look for yet another seat when I already found one in which there was no person? You can find a new seat just as easiliy as I can. I shouldn't. I won't. Period.

Craig
(Yes, this issue is a major pet peeve of mine).

so I'M NOT MOVING at that point, even if you really did just run to take a quick break.

I'm with you until this, but for real dude, move your ass in this particular case. If you know the seat's been vacated for a while and you sit down, fine, keep it, but if someone had to go take a piss, you don't need to be a vulture.

CHEERS! Everything about this festival! Great bands, great vibe, great venue... What's not to love?

I would like to personally thanks Glenn and Jen for doing this every year! Y'all are crazy and I am so happy about that! lol!! Working on the crew is so different from my daily job and is a nice release from the normal corporate America gig. I also want to thank my mates on the crew. It is an honor and pleasure working with you year after year with the common goal of making this smooth running. I need to call out Mr. Don Capps in particular for car pooling with me for the past three years. Thanks for driving this year too! I have driven WAY too much since May, so it was a nice break.

And speaking of driving... all the previous years I have either flown (first 6 years) or driven (the rest) from PA (Baltimore, MD area). It was AMAZING to be home before dark for the first time in YEARS! Moving to the place that marked my old halfway point 3 months ago made it awesome!

JEERS: None except for simply not enough hours in the day to see everyone after the show is over. That and me taking until page 5 to even see this thread! lol!

I'm with you until this, but for real dude, move your ass in this particular case. If you know the seat's been vacated for a while and you sit down, fine, keep it, but if someone had to go take a piss, you don't need to be a vulture.

But as I said, how exactly does one "know" if it's been vacated for a while or not? Are people now going to leave timers indicating how long they've been gone? Perhaps with a note as to their estimated return time? Do we install seat parking meters and once the meter expires, it's fair game? Is someone going to be handing out seat charts so we can write down which ones are empty and track how long they've been that way so we can make a better decision?

Yes, I'm deliberately being ridiculous here, because the whole thing is just that.

Seriously, though...how long should someone stand staring at a seat before they can safely say "yep, this one's not coming back soon?" 30 seconds? 5 minutes? 30 minutes? And much as I love my PPUSA family, I also know that there are people who lie and some will say "oh, I just went to take a piss" when really they've been gone for three hours and just want "their" seat back now that a band they care about is coming on.

They can find a new seat just as well as I or anyone else can. Prior occupancy does not mean it's "yours," otherwise I need to go kick some fuckers out of a couple of apartments and homes that I rented or owned years ago. :Spin:

Once the band has started, I'm not moving...simple as that. I'm not missing part of the band, blocking other people's view while I wander around tripping in the dark, etc, because someone planned poorly. If they really just went to take a piss, they had at least 30 minutes to do that before the next band starts.

The whole thing is simply stupid. It's a GA show, after all, so I'm simply treating it as such.

After Soto and before Voyager we went to grab dinner at Vespucci's. We left the bags in our seats about 5 rows behind the sound board. When we got back a few minutes into the Voyager set, our seats were taken. Ha! So we just got our bags back and found other seats. Didn't work for us. ;) And no biggie - seats were available.

But yes, it's annoying. And no, I cannot take a "saved" seat. I'm female and have no idea what the person's reaction will be. I will not do well in an altercation.

Cheers?

All my crew mates. You guys RULE!

Jeers?

Only one. Dear Mr. Smoke Machine. Ease up a little brah. Hint: When you can no longer see the band, that's TOO MUCH SMOKE!

LOL, if you're talking about Angra, it was done at the band's request. I know it because I communicated it to Mr. Smoke Machine. Yes. It was my call. :lol:

-M

I had this (small) issue with Native Construct's set. There's this part right when the music suddenly turns frantic and blast-beating heavy about 4 minutes into The Spark of the Archon and before the vocals come in, there's this impossible drum fill. Aesthetically the smoke was astounding, but musically, the drummer was completely buried in smoke during That Part.

Although Myles and I both suspect all that smoke was simply the trails from the scrape of Myles' fingers across his guitar strings. :D

Cheers:
Bossman and Bosswoman. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

The rest of crew.

A new roomie! xoxo

Jo, for putting me together a plate to eat on the run.

Fest Folk for not blocking the docks.

People who came early for the pool party (it was pretty much the only time I really got to hang out).

Riverside.

Anathema.

No real drama queens (that I had to deal with).

Voyager for playing my request and the bands who managed to time it so that was the only song I was present for. (And Justin for getting video for me just in case I missed it).

Awesome van conversations.

Oh yeah, Amanda hotel coffee (that miraculously did not get spilt, despite the assumptions that it did).

Jeers:
Whoever ate the plate that Jo made for me.

A spouse who couldn't make it to the entire fest.

It being over too soon.

^---TBH you lost your seat rights the second you left the venue. Especially for those seats.

I know. :)

That's why I just got my bag and moved on. It was more of an experiment than an expectation of a saved seat.

And no, we're never gonna stop talking about it because it keeps happening.

I always do this for shows nowadays. Granted, I don't text during shows but I will occasionally turn it on for time or to use the camera app.

More than the occasional screen, how about that ass watching a stream of baseball on Thursday?

Cheers?

Jeers?

Only one. Dear Mr. Smoke Machine. Ease up a little brah. Hint: When you can no longer see the band, that's TOO MUCH SMOKE!

Make it a point to never attend a Sisters of Mercy concert. :)

Cheers:
Voyager for playing my request and the bands who managed to time it so that was the only song I was present for. (And Justin for getting video for me just in case I missed it).

Oh? What song? If it was "Iron Dream" I might get weepy all over again. :heh:

Cheers?

Jeers?

I agree on being part of the well oiled machine..... This crew is truly family to me...

And remind me to tell you about the ONLY time I was ever allowed to operate a smoke machine.....Being on the "button", it's like crack.... :Smokedev: