Headliners Prediction

Predicting the headliners is really tough. I don't even know where to begin. I remember the earlier post where Glenn said something about cementing the "prog / power" name but even that little tidbit isn't much to go on. To me that means bringing at least one act in that hasn't played the festival before. Avantasia? Ayreon? Too expensive. So who does that leave that's really big and within budget? Lots I suppose. And I really don't know what acts would be considered big enough to cement anything regarding PPIX that would fall within budgetary constraints. Thus, all I can do is guess. I suppose that's all any of us, except Glenn, can do.

For some reason I keep thinking Iced Earth is a strong candidate. I more or less have felt that for some time but have nothing to really base that on. I don't think Iced Earth have played at PP before. If they have then my first guess means nothing. But I'm going with Iced Earth as one of the headliners.

I keep feeling that the other headliner will be an act that has already played PP in the past. This could be almost anyone. Gamma Ray perhaps is overdue for a return visit and I think they'd be well-received again. So I'm going to go with Gamma Ray as the other headliner.

I guess this really doesn't completely, or at all, appease the prog tastes of many of us though does it although power and prog at times cross each others' boundaries a bit.

I'm probably about as far off as one can be with my guesses! Oh well, c'est la vie!

ICED EARTH
GAMMA RAY

Feel free to hack my guesses to bits! hahahaha :headbang:

I recall Glenn also mentioning that one band would be Prog oriented and one would be Metal oriented... each has to be a big name with the PP USA crowd. Personally I hope one of the bands is either ANGRA or SILENT FORCE. My guess for who it likely will be is KAMELOT and GAMMA RAY. Not too shabby to say the least.

Sure would love for Glenn to bring in MANITOU for one of the showcase bands. They would blow the roof off the place.

Has Glenn hinted as to when he will spill the beans and let everyone know who will be headlining?

No clue.

Zod

See there you go thinking literally. This is not a PREDICTION thread, it is (the billionth) WISH LIST thread.

I have no idea either. And I really do not care, as I know whoever Glenn gets will kick our asses.

I "predict" that anyone who thinks NeverAgain will headline is out of their minds...but hey that is just what I get from reading this forum for 5 years...

Fates Warning? No
Angra? No
Nevermore? God, please NO.
Iced Earth? No...
Savatage? christ no!

After the Vanden Plas debacle, I do not think Glenn will take a chance on a band that has not been to the States being the headliner. However, I do believe that Glenn will launch somethihng very interesting that will get people to Atlanta. I think Battlelore fits that. I do not see Glenn getting SymX/Kamelot/Gamma Ray/Helloween. Again, who will travel to Atlanta to see them when they are having monster tours on their own. I also believe that Rhapsody of Fire will be the "cement" to the PPUSA Name.

So, my two headliners are:

BATTLELORE and RHAPSODY of FIRE.

these headliners gotta be dig draws....remember there's more people than on this forum and while Brainstorm might satisfy US in the forum, i dont see a bunch of (lay)people running out and buying tix to see them. theyre going to have to be headliners that get everyone's attention. Like Iron Maiden and Kiss...ha
...my opinion....

Did you see their crowd at PPUSAV? It was packed out and I don't think people have forgotten their performance. They definitely capture the ProgPower Community's attention, but again like you said...my opinion.

And everyone knows the story about opinions. :Smug: (especially those Nevermore haters :lol:)

See there you go thinking literally. This is not a PREDICTION thread, it is (the billionth) WISH LIST thread.

Thread title: Headliners Prediction

Original Post: With about a month, give or take a week or two, until Glenn formely announces the headliners for 2008, i thought it would be fun again to try and predict who it will be.

Just saying.

I think Helloween will probably be there but I'm not sure who else. Fates Warning is a possibility I suppose, but I don't think they have the name recognition anymore. A few years ago, yeah, but not so much today.

Hmm I didn't think that Battlelore was well known enough to be even a 3 spot, let alone headliner. I like the band, I guess I just misjudged their popularity.

Hmm I didn't think that Battlelore was well known enough to be even a 3 spot, let alone headliner. I like the band, I guess I just misjudged their popularity.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

I'm really hoping one of the headliners is Morgana Lefay, but I don't want to turn this into a wishlist. I suppose, with Aberrations of the Mind being such a kickass 07 release, it's possible. Yeah, they've performed here before, but only twice at Chicago Powerfest. I don't think that detracts too much from their draw. (I'm listening to The Secret Doctrine right now, actually.)

As for the band that Glenn said would "cement the ProgPower name" - I don't think it'd be Helloween unless there was some special set planned. Iced Earth is a possibility, but with them touring the U.S. - I don't see a regular tourstop from Iced Earth "cementing the ProgPower name".

Obviously, it's not going to be Ayreon or Avantasia.

I think we should just wait to see what Glenn throws at us. I know we won't stop predicting until the last band is announced, but I think I'm going to sit it out and just see what happens.