Let's review previous statements...

There are too many bands (Redemption, Threshold, Pagan's Mind) who are way too high on this lineup. I love all 3 of these bands to death (especially Pagan's Mind), but none of these bands has done a US tour in recent years, nor do they sell very well in the States.

Isn't that the whole point of PPUSA? Bringing bands to North America that don't normally get the exposure they so richly deserve? Proving to them that they do have a North American fanbase?

By this statement, only bands that tour NA and sell well should be booked?

In the past I have said the following regarding the final slot:

1. It may be controversial.
2. Sonata is the festival headliners and Saturday would be a co-headline position.
3. Sometimes you have to create headliners instead of booking headliners.

That said, I do not have the final band booked. All I can say is that I'm working on it. My plan at the moment is to stick to the above criteria so that should cross a few selections off your guess list. If that crashes and burns, then I honestly do not know what direction I will go.

I do know that regardless, there will be bitching because:

a. your favorite band wasn't booked.
b. the band you thought was booked didn't get it.
c. you think the band doesn't deserve that high of a slot
d. you think Primal Fear is a bigger band and deserves to close out the night (screw the Rage Effect risk).
e. you just don't like the band.

My response now and in the future is

"I don't book for a single person. I book in the interest of the festival as a whole and sometimes you just go with your gut and say fuck it. That's what has gotten me where I am today. "

It's Weird Al Yankovic isn't it. You know you've wanted to do it.. ever since the old Powermad days you've thought "man... Weird Al would just rage live"
:headbang:

yeah, my check's gonna be in the mail soon...

Two things that I note:

I do believe that this is one of the stronger lineups I have put together from top to bottom in terms of name recognition, tour draw, and album sales. PP III is the only one that surpasses it so far. As I said in my earlier comment, compare the roster this year to the previous rosters with the timeframe in mind and where the bands were at that point. Other than the headliners & certain co-headliners, the lower/middle slots have had either small followings or been relatively unknowns at the time (Dreamscape, Mercenary, Circus Maximus, etc, etc).

I totally agree with you on that!!!
For me, this will be the best line up yet!

I have stated I think this is the strongest lineup I have seen for the festival even without the last band named yet for Saturday night.

Isn't that the whole point of PPUSA? Bringing bands to North America that don't normally get the exposure they so richly deserve? Proving to them that they do have a North American fan base?

By this statement, only bands that tour NA and sell well should be booked?

I totally agree as well...I don't want to see bands that can normally tour the U.S. at PP. If I get to see them in my hometown then great, but where else would I get the opportunity to see Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind, Threshold, and Primal fear????

I can't wait for October...for God's sake I am planning my wedding and honeymoon around this lineup!!!!!

Glenn,

Thank you for the hints. As for me, you WILL NOT disappoint. You never do. I have been coming to this festival since PPII and it is something I look forward to every year. i have found out about so many bands from this festival and have become a huge fan of so many b/c of thier performance at PP. Just to name a few, Gamma Ray - They were awesome, Evergrey - Became a huge fan after their PPII performace, Brainstorm - never heard of them and love them now, Symphorce - never heard of them and love them now, Pagan's Mind - their performace was amazing and they are now one of my favorite bands. Jorn Viggo rules. Mercenary - was blown away by them when they played for the first time at PP, Freak Kitchen - Ok, these guys were awesome and i can't get enought of them now. That is just to name a few Glenn. I am excited to see what you come up with for the final slot on Sat, if it is someone I have never heard of, I look forward to finding out about them. I have never been disappointed with any of your choices. I think you are doing an excellent job and i appreciate all of your efforts.

Regarding this year's line-up - i think it is an amazing line-up. Sonata Arctica, Pagan's Mind, Firewind (who, thanks to you has not left my player and I am grabbing all of their cd's now, Gus is awesome) Threshold, This will be a sell-out for sure. I don't think you have to worry about that at all.

You just keep doing what you do, I am always amazed at what you pull off for us fans. YOU ROCK!!!

Glenn, I do have a question for you. Last year Evergrey and Jorn played for about 2 and a half hours. Since Sonata Arctica is the headliner does this mean they will play a longer set to close on Friday? Since the last band on Sat night is a co-headliner, will they play a longer set?

Look forward to seeing you in October.

Brand

I have no idea who the last band will be but in keeping with Glenn's statement about "creating" a headliner as opposed to "booking" one, my choice would be....

IndexTitle_01.gif

Eldritch currently has 6 albums out and their 7th should be due out in time for PP8.... Their music encompasses everything from prog to thrash and they would most likely satisfy the prog & power fans (and even the thrashers with their later material)

In the past I have said the following regarding the final slot:

1. It may be controversial.
2. Sonata is the festival headliners and Saturday would be a co-headline position.
3. Sometimes you have to create headliners instead of booking headliners.

That said, I do not have the final band booked. All I can say is that I'm working on it. My plan at the moment is to stick to the above criteria so that should cross a few selections off your guess list. If that crashes and burns, then I honestly do not know what direction I will go.

I do know that regardless, there will be bitching because:

a. your favorite band wasn't booked.
b. the band you thought was booked didn't get it.
c. you think the band doesn't deserve that high of a slot
d. you think Primal Fear is a bigger band and deserves to close out the night (screw the Rage Effect risk).
e. you just don't like the band.

My response now and in the future is

"I don't book for a single person. I book in the interest of the festival as a whole and sometimes you just go with your gut and say fuck it. That's what has gotten me where I am today. "

aaheeemm....(clearing throat).....Jon Oliva's Pain sure would be nice! :D

I do believe that this is one of the stronger lineups I have put together from top to bottom in terms of name recognition, tour draw, and album sales. PP III is the only one that surpasses it so far. As I said in my earlier comment, compare the roster this year to the previous rosters with the timeframe in mind and where the bands were at that point. Other than the headliners & certain co-headliners, the lower/middle slots have had either small followings or been relatively unknowns at the time (Dreamscape, Mercenary, Circus Maximus, etc, etc).

I'll third that!
This year's line up has been one of the best PP lineups yet, IMO, being an attendee since PPV. (So I never saw the PPIII lineup, but heard great things about that year.) In fact, the lineup for this festival has been so impressive to me and my friends who have previously attended, that we are almost positive of an increasae in our numbers by the time we are ready to purchase tickets. Last year we had 6 of us, this year we are expecting 9, maybe 10. I suppose that should help to make up for the fact that Firehead and his five comrads will not be in attendance. :rolleyes: :Smug: (Like someone else said earlier, that just means more tickets for the rest of us die-hard ProgPower fans.) I personally think that this coming festival will have no trouble selling out. It might not beat the record time for a sell out, but I'm confident it will happen.

The lineup is so awesome that the only thing that I could really hope for at this point is that a female fronted band will be placed somewhere on the bill, whether that be on Saturday night as the co-headliner, or on Thursday as a showcase opener. I've heard some other folks express the same opinion, so hopefully it will become a reality. If that doesn't happen, I'm sure Glenn and Shane will still find amazing bands to fill those spots, but I'm going to continue to keep my fingers crossed and hope for a few of my favorites (no matter how unlikely some of them might be):
  • Doro - supposedly doing a tour mid-2007 and toured with Sonata last year in Europe; doubtful I know, but I'm still hoping :D
  • Benedictum - currently touring with Doro, playing Wacken this coming summer and would make a great opener/second slot for the showcase
  • After Forever - I've heard a lot of talk about this band on the forum and it seems like they would be a good pick for the open slot on Saturday; I've never seen them, but ProgPower has, IMO, always been one of the best places to see a band for the first time
  • Angtoria - Just realeased there new album in the US, probably better for the number 2 slot on Thursday, but I still think they would impress the PP crowd

Glenn, once again, you have amazed (the majority of) us! Thank you again for making ProgPower both a possibility and a reality for us all! :worship:

I agree that the lineup is the strongest ever, at least in terms of the bands having wide appeal. Most PPs have featured at least a couple of bands that a decent sized portion of the audience didn't care for. If last year was the most controversial lineup ever, this year is the safest, least offensive lineup ever.

I personally am loving the lineup so far. I think it is a better lineup than last year. And last year was great. I had a great time.

I am still hoping that After Forever gets the last spot. They are great and would be a welcome addition to the lineup. Not sure if they would be controversial. So this pick may not come true. Well I guess AF could be a little controversial since some people don't like female singers in metal groups no matter what.

I plan on going no matter who the last band is. Great lineup. Great job Glenn.

They way I see it is, I'm already happy with SA, PM, Redemption, Threshold and Vanden Plas! 5 out of 9 announced so far. There's always been less than that, that I've been psyched out about ahead of time. Plus there are others that I'd like to check out. And I know that I've always come back from PP a fan of some bands that I wasn't before. If Saturday's slot #5 is a band that I like or love ahead of time...great! If it a band that I will like or love...great too. If it is a band that I don't like, even though I may respect them, then I get to leave early and get possibly get either more sleep or an earlier start on the ride back home on Sunday. Either way I win!

As far as firehead's comments are concerned, I don't agree with him. My impression (from the forum and people talking and reacting at the fest) of the popularity of these bands with the regulars makes me think that this is a strong line up and probably all of the tickets will sell. But he (and anyone else) does have the right to state his opinion in a civil manner. It seems to me that only vicious personal attacks and heated arguments aren't allowed on here. If this forum could only contain opinions and comments that Glenn or the majority agrees with, then there would be much point to this forum, other than socializing. Useful feedback should contain both compliments and criticisms to compliment what Glenn's impression is of the audience reaction at the fest and the ticket sale data. Free Speech isn't only for those you agree with, but those you disagree with too. Besides, I can bet that Glenn gets a satisfaction from proving his detractors wrong!

You are to be respected as you have put out good shows (basically) in the past. But when you put up a thought like e. you just don't like the band and you wonder why there will be bitching?

I think that you might want to put a little more concern into the fact that maybe people will not like the band (s). Because unless you have a total kickass last spot band in the wings, I really don't think this will sellout. I think that this is a pretty weak lineup and the ticket demand will show it this year. If last year took until the last minute to sell out even with a band like Evergrey on the bill who have been on MTV, then I believe this will be even worse.

I will not be going and I have five guys I know that are much more into the Progpower scene than I will ever be and they have said they won't be going either. No disrespect, just a thought on the lineup. Good luck though.

whoaaaa, i think Glenn has and will continue to put allot of thought into what he says here, and he is absolutely right about option e. there will be people who for some reason or another will not like a particular band. I for one, though not happy in my mind with Primal fear just because i haven't listened to them that much, but i will give them a chance. It's like last year people were so down on FREAK KITCHEN, well they left us going WTF!!!!! and converted a hell of alot of people to the FREAK CAMP.

As to selling out, listen this festival and the lineup last year proved the name alone sells, it may not have been a total sellout last year, but i think 6 tickets short was damn good and to be honest we had the greatest time. This year will sell out quickly not only due to the line up but as i meantioned above the festival name.

So you and 5 otheres aren't coming???? Question how many times have you been before??? How many times have your friends been? There are always new people ready to fill the shoes of the ones who are not coming. So as everyone else has said enjoy your weekend, while we enjoy good music, great people, and some good food with great people.

I don't know that Glenn has any real detractors here. I'd say 99% of us love what he does. It's just that inevitably we won't like some choices or we'll wonder what he's thinking. It's not as if he never makes a mistake. Even Michael Jordan missed some clutch shots. Even Tobias Sammett wrote a few bad songs.

I think most criticism is about small details(a band here and there, or some aspect of the festival that could be better), not whether Glenn does a great job or not.

This where you and I disagree completely. I'm not going to argue "popularity" but were you at III or IV and witness the crowd reactions to either band?

Your philosophy of running the festival mirrors mine from PP III & IV. However, while I believe I perfected that formula (do you really need to lecture me on the popularity of power vs prog in the States?) I do not believe it can be brought back for reasons I previously mentioned. A successful promoter has to role with the changes and adapt. There will be hits and misses along the way, but such is life. If you don't mix up the prog and the power, then you run the risk of alienating a percentage of your regular attendees. You can't book the same headline power acts (and there aren't that many that I haven't had already in that specific genre) year after year (especially with touring now as compared to then) or you will stagnate and wither away. That's why I ready to start creating headliners instead of booking them.

I hope you prove me wrong man. Hell, I wish this thing could sell out in 2 minutes. It damn well should anyway based on the amount of talent involved.