Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

Here's my hunch. God, I hope I'm right!
Friday's headliners:
Rhapsody
Masterplan

Saturday's openers:
Dead Soul Tribe
Pyramaze

My reason for my picks is the best one I can think of. Because I want them. Everybody's got their dreams.

Oh.....I forgot about Gordian Knot as being another small US prog band.

Whoah.....I'm remembering now. I guess I hadn't thought of Spastic Ink being from the US. Gordian Knot and Spastic Ink are two bands I've heard songs from and liked, but don't have any albums yet. I haven't heard Watchtower at all.....although I know Ron is also their guitarist.

I would fucking explode if Gordian Knot was one of the bands. Sean Malone played a short solo spot at Nearfest last year, and it was one of the most brilliant displays of musical ability I've ever seen. To see him with a band would be a godly experience...

dt

Shaman?

I picked out my PP V sampler today and noticed how some bands that were on the lineup are on there..coincidence?..hardly

Pyramaze, Dead Soul Tribe, Mercenary, Time Machine may all have shots at 1 of those slots.

PPtree is too big and tour too much..Enchant isn't happening, atleast this year, Riverside was supposed to play NEARFEST but like Bear mentioned, they had bad Visas's and no way to acquire passports to actually leave the country due to lack of proof of citizenship I guess. Sucked for NF I guess. So unless something's changed in that situation, I dunno how Riverside could be on this years roster.

other guess's:
Wolverine, Andromeda...Avantasia maybe?..might there ever be a chance Nevermore wants to play again? (dunno the logistsics about PP I and if there were any hangups after their cancellation that still exist today).

the fact Sonata Arctica touring the country pretty much nix Glenn's pursuit of them?

I'd personally like to see an oddball band like Dredg, Coheed and Cambria, or a band like I Mother Earth or 1 of the more funky Prog groups play here..but I'm sure it's really not at the top of Glenn's priorities.

there are a lot of small US Progbands if you think about it, lol..altho some are so small dunno if Glenn knows about them and/or they know about PP.

Tiles is playing 2 festivals in the upcoming months, CalProgDay and ROSFest so that in and of itself may eliminate them..but at the same time it may make them attractive.

Kyle

Soundscape said:
I'd personally like to see an oddball band like Dredg, Coheed and Cambria, or a band like I Mother Earth or 1 of the more funky Prog groups play here..but I'm sure it's really not at the top of Glenn's priorities.

Kyle

Dredg would be awesome, but it's a really, really, really wild guess... LOL I love the band, but they don't match the profile of the festival at all.. not even as an extreme oddball.. eheh

Barking Pumpkin said:
Oh.....I forgot about Gordian Knot as being another small US prog band.

Whoah.....I'm remembering now. I guess I hadn't thought of Spastic Ink being from the US. Gordian Knot and Spastic Ink are two bands I've heard songs from and liked, but don't have any albums yet. I haven't heard Watchtower at all.....although I know Ron is also their guitarist.

I have the first albums each of Gordian Knot and Spastic Ink. Both are great. Gordian Knot would be a great band to see (both their bassist and drummer are among the best in metal). Spastic Ink might be a little too much for this or any festival. Ron Jarzombek's guitar playing on this album is absolutely sick. In my opinion, it is a step above Yngwie in terms of technical ability and orders of magnitude above him in terms of songwriting. He would really show up any guitar player who followed him on stage (or any other of the night, for that matter). In addition to this, to me, Spastic Ink sounds more like a studio-only band. I'm not saying they couldn't do this stuff live - I just don't think that it would have the same feel to it. I would still like to see it, though.

The best way to describe Watchtower is as an 80's metal band with the energy and sound of the craziest thrash metal band imaginable combined incredible musical skills - only a small step below bands like Gordian Knot and Spastic Ink and above Sprial Architect (whom they influenced and will always be superior to, in my opinion). The bass is very audible and both the bass and drums are very complex and insane. The vocalists on each of their two albums are high-pitched and the lyrics tend to be about nuclear catastrophes and social non-conformity. They do not have any slow and/or soft songs. And yes, Ron played on the second album but after the band broke up about 15 years ago, he went off and did a variety of different projects including Spastic Ink. The first album was recently re-released on cd and the second album has always been available from Noise Records as an import. The original lineup (which Ron wasn't a part of) has recently gotten back together and has started to work again on the third album which they started 15 years ago. I have to admit that their sound is a little bit dated and no one, including myself, can listen to them for long periods of time. However, a band with their level of skill and who influenced prog metal so much in its beginnings deserves more recognition in my opinion. If they aren't going to play in PPVI, I still would like to see them get at least get more recognition.

I have one Watchtower song. Very nice technical stuff.

It actually does sound like a thrashy Spiral Architect....I really need to be getting albums from these bands.

"Aquanet" was one of the songs I got a while ago to check out Spastic Ink. Today I was reading about the album and found out that Daniel Gildenlow did those vocals. I was in shock...... They're soooooo awful. I can't believe that's actually Daniel Gildenlow.

Well i guess i better get my vote in \\Openers CLOUDSCAPE, PYRAMAZE,,,Headliners MASTERPLAN, ROYAL HUNT. Or maybe there might be a King Foo entertainment show with FINNTROLL, and TWLIGHNING, LORDI They way Glenn has been pulling off these awesome shows and line-ups we had just better wait and be prepared to be amazed. By the way there is no returning band this year.

If Within Temptation, After Forever, Anathema, Novembre, Epica, Riverside or Edenbridge are playing I will be there. I also think that there is no chance that any of those bands will be playing :cry:

Even if I think the rest of the line up sucks there is still a chance I might go just to see Orphaned Land.

Could end up being the second time I had to do something like this. Last year I drove all the way to the BWBK Fest just to see Katatonia, I hated everyother band on the bill with the exception of Lilitu who were pretty good but I wouldn't travel anywhere far to see them.

Pyramaze51 said:
Well i guess i better get my vote in \\Openers CLOUDSCAPE, PYRAMAZE,,,Headliners MASTERPLAN, ROYAL HUNT. Or maybe there might be a King Foo entertainment show with FINNTROLL, and TWLIGHNING, LORDI They way Glenn has been pulling off these awesome shows and line-ups we had just better wait and be prepared to be amazed. By the way there is no returning band this year.

haha Lordi playing progpower

I haven't got a clue as to who the last 4 will be. I could name a long list of who I would want but they would all be to big for a Saturday night opening 1-2 slot. One band that I think wold make an interesting 1-2 slot would be "Cea Serin". There is a song of theirs on last years PP Sampler. Check it out. I would love to see Dionysus, Labyrinth and/or John West in any form( Artension, Royal Hunt, Solo). Rhapsody would be great, nut I think that is a pipe dream. Masterplan would also be awsome. If I really want to live in a fantasy land, I would like to see Areyon with the whole Human equation cast. But I really do not have a clue as to who will round out the show.