Predictions for remaining 4 bands...

Harvester said:
I do not book instrumental bands, "uber-complex" or "two chords and a tin can" version.

Glenn H.

I guess it's a good thing Stride has since gotten a singer.
tickled.gif

I'm guessing the proggy US opener is either them or Kat 5 or someone else who played at a previous PP preshow.

Harvester said:
I do not book instrumental bands, "uber-complex" or "two chords and a tin can" version.

Glenn H.

If I may ask, what is the reason for this? Is it just personal preference? I'm really curious, as I like a lot of instrumental music, and would love to see something like Gordian Knot at PP. Then again, perhaps I'm the only one...

dt

Meteornotes said:
If I may ask, what is the reason for this? Is it just personal preference?

dt

Absolutely. I do not believe that a band like Gordian Knot would sell anymore tickets than a band that I booked in the same slot with a vocalist that I enjoy.

Glenn H.

Se7enChurches said:
As for the relevance of Primal Fear over Accept, let's try this exercise:

Let's think of a band (without requiring a specific era) that is one of the most popular straightforward German heavy metal bands of their day, and very heavily influenced by Judas Priest.

Now, am I talking about Accept in the 1980s or Primal Fear now?

Ryan

I don't think that excercise works at all. First of all, Accept was never really as popular as I think some would like to think. Just because people know who you are doesn't make you popular. Yes, they may have been influence by JP, but then again, who wasn't. Bottom line is this, Accept was a second rate band like Krokus and Grim Reaper. I was in a metal band in the Accept hay day and played along side countless cover bands that covered the entire metal scene back then. Nobody covered Accept.

Now there is Primal Fear. Primal Fear is flat out a Judas Priest clone type band. However, In a good way. I do not normally go for clones,but in this case it is difficult not to like them. They sound more like Judas Priest than Judas Priest does. They have filled the JP void that has been around since Painkiller. (This is not a knock on Ripper Owens, I think he is great) These guys are Judas Priest on Steroids. Realistically in 20 to 30 years I think people will still be talking about Judas Priest but I doubt anyone will be talking about Accept or Primal Fear. Judas Priest is a classic, Accept is a washed up has been second rate band. Primal Fear just equals good, fun metal. Everyone do yourself a favor and Get Devil's Groung by Primal Fear. If that doesn't get your fire going then I guess your wood is soaked. Whatever that means.

As Dennis miller used to say " That's just my opinion, I could be wrong".

bradb7216 said:
PPPLLLEEEAAASE TELL US NOW GLENN... DONT MAKE US WAIT TIL MONDAY!

heh, heh, I feel your pain.

Ok, this is my final prediction (before Monday, that is):
Opener Friday - Pyramaze
Second band Fri. - Cea Serin, the U.S. band
Saturday's 4th band - Masterplan
Saturday headliner - um....this is the tough one....Rob Rock's Rage of Creation

That's it! I'm sticking to that.....til Monday.

Ok, Accept wasn't a "huge" band. However, they did go Gold in the US. Something I am not anticipating any PP band to ever do. They were actually quite big in most of the rest of the world and alot of bands such as HammerFall cite them as a big influence. Wolf Hoffmann is a guitar god as well. I have only attended 2 of the PP fests because I simply do not like much of what is placed on the bill. This is not a problem because I can see that some people really do enjoy this festival to a huge extent. However, talking to some in the crowd over the 2 times I have felt that there is a contingent that isn't going to like anything that isn't extremely underground and technical to the point of being noise (Pain of Salvation, anyone?). Accept may not be huge, but they are almost superstars compared to even a band like Edguy, who I am a big fan of. You still do hear Balls to the Wall on the radio, 20 years later. I am not holding my breath to EVER hear Edguy on the radio, not to mention 20 years from now. I think that Accept frightens these people because all of a sudden there's a band that is somewhat known at PP.

FatesFan said:
I don't think that excercise works at all. First of all, Accept was never really as popular as I think some would like to think. Just because people know who you are doesn't make you popular. Yes, they may have been influence by JP, but then again, who wasn't. Bottom line is this, Accept was a second rate band like Krokus and Grim Reaper. I was in a metal band in the Accept hay day and played along side countless cover bands that covered the entire metal scene back then. Nobody covered Accept.

BenJAMin said:
However, talking to some in the crowd over the 2 times I have felt that there is a contingent that isn't going to like anything that isn't extremely underground and technical to the point of being noise (Pain of Salvation, anyone?)

Well....I'm going to have to really hugely disagree with you about your Pain Of Salvation statement. But really, the headlining bands on Prog-Power aren't really underground bands. Just because a band isn't on MTV or mainstream media doesn't mean they aren't big. Pain Of Salvation has so much touring demand that they're doing a two leg European tour. And Stratovarius.....yeah. Blind Guardian....yeah.

And everyone can't only be a Prog fan. There was huge excitement from a whole lot of people on the boards when Pink Cream 69 was announced....

I'm really sad that someone said Pain Of Salvation is technical to the point of being noise.....::cry::

Having sat through POS on two occasions now I cannot get into this band. This last time at the airport, I was talking to 2 guys who had been to PP and we were all discussing how we didn't like them so I guess I am not alone.

This isn't Europe, while I agree Blind Guardian is somewhat "big" for their genre of music that isn't the whole story. Doesn't the Earthlink hold around 1400 people? Mind you it takes all these bands to sell this place out for PP. A great example is Edguy. I love this band and they were the headliners this time around. However, I think that getting Edguy to draw anywhere near that number without some support acts in the US is just about nil. While I would agree Accept isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, I bet Accept and some rather known band could probably do it. Plus, whose to say, if Accept were to do one exclusive US appearance they very well might even pull off such a crowd for one-off.

But like I say, it's all good. Just because I may not necessarily attend PP because I don't care for this type of music doesn't mean that I am not happy that others can enjoy it. Alot of my friends think my music tastes are messed up. IN a one week period last Summer I saw Heart, Judas Priest/Black Sabbath (got to OzzFest late to avoid the rest), and The Moody Blues. I like my metal too, but I guess I gravitate toward bands that are keeping the Iron Maiden type sound alive. POS does absolutely nothing for me and I have probably been heard to say they suck. But it's obvious that they seem to have their following and I think it's great that Glenn provides opportunities for people to see them and other bands that are never going to do really widespread tours of the US.

Barking Pumpkin said:
Well....I'm going to have to really hugely disagree with you about your Pain Of Salvation statement. But really, the headlining bands on Prog-Power aren't really underground bands. Just because a band isn't on MTV or mainstream media doesn't mean they aren't big. Pain Of Salvation has so much touring demand that they're doing a two leg European tour. And Stratovarius.....yeah. Blind Guardian....yeah.

And everyone can't only be a Prog fan. There was huge excitement from a whole lot of people on the boards when Pink Cream 69 was announced....

I'm really sad that someone said Pain Of Salvation is technical to the point of being noise.....::cry::

BenJAMin said:
Having sat through POS on two occasions now I cannot get into this band. This last time at the airport, I was talking to 2 guys who had been to PP and we were all discussing how we didn't like them so I guess I am not alone.

This isn't Europe, while I agree Blind Guardian is somewhat "big" for their genre of music that isn't the whole story. Doesn't the Earthlink hold around 1400 people? Mind you it takes all these bands to sell this place out for PP. A great example is Edguy. I love this band and they were the headliners this time around. However, I think that getting Edguy to draw anywhere near that number without some support acts in the US is just about nil. While I would agree Accept isn't exactly going to set the world on fire, I bet Accept and some rather known band could probably do it. Plus, whose to say, if Accept were to do one exclusive US appearance they very well might even pull off such a crowd for one-off.

But like I say, it's all good. Just because I may not necessarily attend PP because I don't care for this type of music doesn't mean that I am not happy that others can enjoy it. Alot of my friends think my music tastes are messed up. IN a one week period last Summer I saw Heart, Judas Priest/Black Sabbath (got to OzzFest late to avoid the rest), and The Moody Blues. I like my metal too, but I guess I gravitate toward bands that are keeping the Iron Maiden type sound alive. POS does absolutely nothing for me and I have probably been heard to say they suck. But it's obvious that they seem to have their following and I think it's great that Glenn provides opportunities for people to see them and other bands that are never going to do really widespread tours of the US.

It is no secret that the bands that play PP are not going to sell out arenas here in the states. This music is not going to go mainstream. I have been listening to Fates Warning since the first album(Night on Broken) and have yet to see them get anywhere near the attention that they deserve. Helloween put out the Keeper of the keys back in the day( noted as one of the greatest albums of the power metal genre to this day) and still today struggle to be known here in the states. People here want to be spoon fed their music. "Give it to me in 3 to 4 minute slices, I want to hear the title of the song at least 50 times, Somewhere in the song it should say"can I get a hell yeah...or somebody scream...or wave your hands...or she's so fine....or ....Well you get the point. People here don't want music that will make you think. They want it nice and easy. Simple topics like...hmm.. I dunno....oh..let's do a song about a thong. I like thongs, just don't think I need a song about thongs.

In metal, again many like it simple. Sing a song about Hell...sing a song about breaking something....sing a song about something evil,mad ,dark....I am so pissed off I think I'll sing a song about being pissed off.

Most of the bands that play PP or fall into this genre(ever growing) do not fall into the above scenerio. They do not put out 3-4 miute simple minded songs. Some of the subject matter is very deep. Some of it "yes" is covered in cheese. And that's okay. I don't mind cheese.

If you looking to attend some super duper "American style" star studded 25,ooo people concert,your barking up the wrong tree. Although I think I can speek for many of the people here when I say that these guys are Superstars and this festival is better than any other her in the states.

I may be wrong on this but I think that PP could sell way more tickets than what the Earthlink capacity is. Glen has stated that the reason for having there is for the experience of an intimate setting. I have seen videos of Manowar playing in front of thousand of people and have dreamed of being in a huge crowd like that seeing them. When I finally got to see them in was in a tiny ( when I say tiny I meen tiny) club in Winston Salem NC called Ziggy's. In hind site I would have much rather have seen them there. There was something about seeing the band up close and personal that just adds to the experience.

Back to the Accept thing. I am not putting down Accept. The first time I heard Accept was a song called "Fast as a Shark". At the time I was listening to things like Judas Priest " Point of Entry". The double bass drum on Fast as a shark pinned my ears back. It was inpressive. 20 Years later it just doesn't stand the test of time.

What may seem like a small concert with deep underground bands that apear to be a speck on the map of music to some, it is a dream come true for a few elite fans to see a few elite bands. With Glen at the helm, may those few bands turn into many.

BenJAMin said:

I think the ppl doesn't like POS is just because they aren't into other styles of music besides Prog / Metal... well IMO. I love POS and maybe is because my tastes in music are very weird I can go from Electronic/Chill out/Ambient passing also into Jazz/Bossanova/Fusion to Extreme/Black.. so.. I love how they mix all kind of sounds, is very interesting and original, even though they sound more prog than anything... another proof is like if you enjoyed their Latest CD "BE" then you'll love their previouse releases blindly, (IMO) they have alot of Feeling and they seem to enjoy very very much what they do... you can catch that. If you are a Pink Floyd fan you may know what I'm talking about.. its all about feeling and ofcourse it's linked to their good musicianship ... well that's only My opinion ;)

PS : sorry my poor english.. I tried to be very explainful (i dunno if this word even exist LOL)
Greetings! :wave: