Voyager's upcoming US tour

Me and Fabio. He doesn't look nearly as excited to be photographed with me as he does with Nina, despite the fact that I am really freaking adorable.

556759_828829676835_1541356736_n.jpg

As for his smoking, Met-Al saw him going off to smoke and said "Those are bad for ya!" Fabio turned around, shrugged, and said, "Well, after 20 years...!" we all laughed, and he continued to have his smoke.

I will never understand why people smoke period. Very odd that he does. I wouldn't have expected him to.

I thought the same thing, but my husband explained it to me very easily:

He's European.

Terrible stereotype, I know, but so many Europeans smoke that it's not weird to me anymore. Though I was very sad to see that he smoked because I want him to protect that glorious throat!

After spending a month in Europe, I will tell you the stereotype only held true in Zurich. I was actually really shocked to note how few people smoked in Europe, especially Paris.

It really depends on where you are. I usually go to Spain because my family is there, and everyone in the major cities smoke. Same thing in all the other cities I've been to.. Rome, Paris, London, people love their cigs.

He doesn't look altogether thrilled in any of the pictures. Perhaps that has more to do with learning Rhapsody of Fire doesn't draw in the U.S.?

I thought they did pretty well in Baltimore! Though I really believe the place was more packed during Voyager's set, if only because during Rhapsody's, everyone crowded to the front. It was still pretty full, especially considering that this was in Baltimore during Maryland Death Fest.

I thought they did pretty well in Baltimore! Though I really believe the place was more packed during Voyager's set, if only because during Rhapsody's, everyone crowded to the front. It was still pretty full, especially considering that this was in Baltimore during Maryland Death Fest.
I saw them in Philly, on a Friday night. The venue didn't even open the upstairs... they had only one of their four bars open. I think there was maybe 100, 150 people at most? Behemoth drew over 1,000 at the same venue, on a Sunday, two weeks prior. It's not just Rhapsody. Euro Power Metal, by and large, doesn't draw as well as some other Metal sub genres.

We left when Voyager's set was over, so I can't say how they were received.

I saw them in Philly, on a Friday night. The venue didn't even open the upstairs... they had only one of their four bars open. I think there was maybe 100, 150 people at most? Behemoth drew over 1,000 at the same venue, on a Sunday, two weeks prior. It's not just Rhapsody. Euro Power Metal, by and large, doesn't draw as well as some other Metal sub genres.

We left when Voyager's set was over, so I can't say how they were received.

That is depressing. I've been waiting SO LONG to see Rhapsody and Fabio.. I had it in my little brain that they were loved by bazillions in the US. Where are all those new Game of Thrones fans?! They would have loved it!

LOL!!!!!! Could be it!!!!

Hey, say what you want but he hugged me pretty darn close! You can see the reflection of his arm in the picture. He smelled of honey and unicorns.. and then I bought him vodka.

That is depressing. I've been waiting SO LONG to see Rhapsody and Fabio.. I had it in my little brain that they were loved by bazillions in the US. Where are all those new Game of Thrones fans?! They would have loved it!

Hey, say what you want but he hugged me pretty darn close! You can see the reflection of his arm in the picture. He smelled of honey and unicorns.. and then I bought him vodka.

see, this is what people dont realize. Just because Game of Thrones is popular, someone isnt going to go....hmmmm. I love this fantasy show, let me find music just like it. While people like us would look for stuff simular. The average person isnt going to. For them Game of Thrones is something to watch for an hour a week.

As Zod said. Euro power metal isnt a draw here in the states. While people always picture packed clubs for those bands. It is usually a small dedicated crowd. For this type of metal is is mostly a joke for about 99% of people. We are the 1% who do enjoy it. Unfortunatly those are the hard facts until Neil comes in and post some Last.Fm data.

I didn't realize that was you at the merch table! I'd have said "hi" to you, as well. I'm the one that asked Scott if I could give him a hug. :)

And I got quite possibly the best hug EVER. Definitely top three metal hugs, the other two being Nils K. Rue and Alex Skolnick.

I knew I knew you, but I couldn't remember your forum name!!!! There were several other folks who I was trying to remember, but couldn't quite place them.

Dammit, you were there? I was so pissed I couldn't get the night off. Such a fun group of people, I felt bad I couldn't come out and support them :(
Would have been cool to see the other Chicago area peeps, too! Mega kudos to them for helping pimp PPUSA along the way, as well......

J-dub, yep, we were there. I'm sorry I missed you. We were staying with Toast for our "honeymoon".

Overall, Fabio was very nice. Actually, "nice" doesn't hack it. He was downright sweet. He signed ever single booklet Jasonic handed him, even though he was told he didn't have to sign them all, he joked with Met-Al about his smoking, he posed for photos, and was generally an all around gentleman. He could have just been tired, hence not looking terribly excited. His energy did seem a bit low until he got on stage.

Voyager, on the other hand, seemed to have energy to spare. But this is probably because they had been consuming vast amounts of energy drinks, according to Scott Kay. :lol:

After reading about you all discussing this show for the last couple of weeks, I finally got a chance to see Voyager and Rhapsody of Fire last night.

Local opener Lumus started the night. Looked like they were in high school. Decent songs and chops but definitely lacking in polish. The crowd was in a friendly mood and cheered loudly for them (the 30 people who were there that early) which seemed to boost their confidence, as they seemed to play better by the end of their brief set. They reminded me somewhat of Darkwell.

Voyager was up next. Only about 150 in the crowd at this point in a venue that holds about 400. By comparison, the Iced Earth/Symphony X show at the same venue was completely packed. Voyager played very well and had lots of energy, no surprise, and the mix was really good. Very enthusiastic response from the crowd and lots of people seemed to be singing along. I was surprised to hear a lot more music from I Am The ReVolution than the Meaning of I, but I really like IATR so no complaints from me. Voyager did an abbreviated medley which went over really well: Ghost Busters theme, Jump, Axel F, Highway to Hell, and crowd favorite Team America theme. It seems anytime the crowd has an opportunity to yell F*** they get into it. Voyager's performance seemed to be spot on, I can't think of anything that would have improved it. I had seen Voyager once before at PP last year.

I had not seen Rhapsody of Fire live before, although I did see Fabio front Kamelot last year. Crowd swelled to about 200 by my estimate, but still far from a sell out for this venue. Rhapsody put on a good show playing from many different albums. There were several in the crowd wearing costumes - wizards, unicorns, lusty wenches - people carrying blow-up swords - that all added to the fun, although nowhere near as many as when Alestorm came to town. The mix was good again, but through some songs I had difficulty making out the words that Fabio was singing (and I don't mean the Italian parts). Could have been the heavy vibrato, but I found him to be clearer fronting Kamelot.

Anybody know the name of the classical piece that the bass player did as a solo? I know the tune, but haven't been to remember what it's called.

Overall, a fun night and good performances although my flaky friend Johnny didn't show. Will have to give him crap about that at work today.