You know you're a ProgPower Veteran when...

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
...your own boss, parents and mother-in-law knows that you always attend a concert every year in Atlanta. My boss walked up to me the other day and asked, don't you normally go to Atlanta in September for a concert? Apparently, it's something that's expected now, even from the outsiders! :lol:

Anyone else have similar experiences?

~Brian~

Yep. My sister chuffs at me annually because I miss my niece's bday parties. I try to let her know in advance so that she can plan, but it never works. My boss has taken to ribbing me because it's during AEP and we do a lot of work for insurance providers.

hehe yep, cool. The other day one of my old bosses texted me and asked if I was going to a particular show and I so nope,i'll be out of town. He goes that Atlanta thing again.. I was lol, yes that Atlanta thing again, my yearly sojourn!! Cracked me up that I didnt have to tell him, he knew.

Bear

yep when my team start talking about days off for the year, the ALL know don;t even THINK of asking for @the 2nd weekend of September (PPUSA) or New Years Eve (my anniversary) becauase they aren;t going to get it.

Same at my job - the middle two weeks of September are always specifically earmarked for my vacation.

All of my co-workers know I go to ProgPower each year. When I mention vacation in September, they automatically assume my yearly trek to Atlanta! :)

Sadly, I'm on business travel right now (ugh) and I'll be home just in time to turn around to go to Atlanta. They wanted me to stick around all next week. HELL NO!! I've gotten way too much invested, both in money (sponsorship) and emotionally (I'm way too excited NOT to go!!)

Yep, my team knows about my annual journey to Atlanta. With my corporate culture image, they all think that it is pretty funny. They also expect to see me the following Monday morning with a stiff neck and no voice!

About a month ago, my mom (who does NOT follow metal) out of the blue said, “When is ProgPower?” In response to my stunned look, she said, “I saw it on your Facebook”. Which led to a great deal of family merriment: “Who is this PROGPOWER? And how did you meet them? Do you have a responsible driver? When will you be home?” :lol:

I work from home now, so the folks I’m in contact with know I’m off every September, but they don’t fully grasp the extent of my fandom. Everyone at my prior job used to give me good-natured crap every year. I remember that one guy asked to hear some of the music, so I made him a sampler of all the bands playing that year. It wasn't his cup of tea (no surprise), but he did love the Raintime version of “Beat It”. :D

...your own boss, parents and mother-in-law knows that you always attend a concert every year in Atlanta. My boss walked up to me the other day and asked, don't you normally go to Atlanta in September for a concert? Apparently, it's something that's expected now, even from the outsiders! :lol:

Anyone else have similar experiences?

~Brian~

Several friends of mine even know the name of the festival!!

The friend of ours who often dog-sits for us when we're out of town asked a couple of weeks ago "Isn't ProgPower coming up? Do you need me to watch the dogs for you?"

But I guess after 15 years of it, I shouldn't be surprised that they've picked up on the schedule. :)

Craig

The first few years I went, my mom referred to it as "The Frog Fest." She's gotten better with the nomenclature since then. :lol:

I was talking to my friend Justin (mosquito on this forum), and we both delighted in acknowledging that things have come and gone in our lives and we've made sacrifices for certain things. But somehow ProgPower isn't negotiable. I haven't missed one since I first started and I don't plan to. I'd say my first two weeks in September are reserved indefinitely at this point.

My in-laws in particular have always given me a hard time about it. My wife and I have been married for 13 years, so you can imagine the length of time I've been hearing this. They always refer to it as the "Devil Fest". I told her I'd be out of town next weekend and her reply had something to do with "Devil music". I replied, yes, I'm going to go see the Devil sing! :devil: I just go along with it now. :lol:

~Brian~

and Earthlink Live :devil:

Bear

- J. J. Keeley's.
- ProgPower 5 Rat (come on, the rat!)
- Midnight acoustic show at the Fairfield
- Hell, staying at the Fairfield
- Not being able to get into the pre-party because I was one month shy of 18
- 5 bands/night

My family and co-workers are aware and usually ask around this time "Aren't you going to that music thing?"

You also know you're a veteran when there used to be a lot less females in attendance at ProgPower. I started coming when the female numbers were going up, but even now there are more ladies at the fest than when I first attended!