Let's revisit the headliner issue...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
The days of the exclusive big names headliner are over. An exclusive is now way more expensive than it is worth. Any headliner that I book is going to take advantage of what I offer and build a tour around it. That's the reality of the situation.

Furthermore, I have booked most of the available headliners already so the return is not going to be as "special" as it was previously. Remember that "available" is the key word.

The "special shows" are simply that. They don't come around often so you can't rely on that reunion or side project to build a festival around every year.

So what do you do? Do you continue to pay for the big headliner that has either been here before or is touring in order to "hopefully" sell tickets to a concentrated fanbase? Do you elevate headliners, save a bit of money, and then build a stronger undercard that doesn't necessarily have the name with the regular attendees outside of this forum? Keep in mind that this forum is the exception to the attendee rule, not the norm.

It's a crapshoot and what I'm facing after ten shows along with a piss poor economy. I will tell you this though. I truly believe that it's better to burn out than fade away. If a show fails to sell and maintain the lofty levels we have achieved over the past decade, then there will only be one more show that following year. ProgPower USA will make a curtain call and go out while on top.

Glenn,

I'll skip the "don't go" whining that I'm sure will follow your post.

I think you've already answered your own question. There have been multiple years that people have griped about the headliner. The thing that has kept people returning is the solid lineup head to toe. Certainly not everyone likes every band, but rarely is someone playing that fans feel should not be at the fest at all. How many metal fests are already out there that book a mid-tier headliner and fill the undercard with obscure, poor bands? ProgPower has always taken the other direction. Keep doing what you're doing, and I expect the results to be the same.

That being said, I expect to see Iron Maiden and Dio headlining next year.

Steve in Philly

I guess if it's going stale, the only options are to move the fest musically in a different direction or go out on top, and i'm not sure how well changing/'spicing' it up would work for the majority of the festival-goers.

Has every exclusive headliner been exhausted? Within Temptation, for example, has not played this festival and would be a Fantastic headliner. I am sure there are others, but that is the first one that comes to mind.
I would hate to see this festival fade away. My wife, family and I have seen so many bands because of this festival that we would have NEVER seen otherwise.

I'd be shocked if you booked a headliner who didn't build a tour around it. They know they have fans, and if they can get one promoter to put forth a bit of the bill for flight and VISAs, then they should take advantage of it. The headliners that do this, then don't help to grab people from the big cities where the band will be touring. But they still do motivate people from non-market locations to come to the show, as well as local Atlantians that aren't otherwise interested. I think that the Headliners are still very important (I still wonder how helpful having Gamma Ray/Helloween on Thursday was in selling festival tickets). This year already feels like you have a big undercard. Your opening band has 4 albums out, a 5th coming out, and is on Napalm records.

I also don't see a reason that you can't have a headliner come and lead things every 3 years or so. I see no reason for you -not- to have Symphony X, or Pain of Salvation headline, despite either's US touring.

When you 'create' a headliner (as in the band comes in an under slot, has a great show, and then returns as a headliner a couple years later), you will draw from festgoers, but it might not be something to bring in enough new blood.

Its kind of strange to be honest. I meet old metal heads, people who love prog and power metal, but have never heard of the fest... in Atlanta! I think that this fest can easily continue to succeed, it just might need some more grass roots action from fest fans to put some fliers in spots, to spread the word, etc. No matter the show I go to, I see people looking at those in progpower shirts and commenting that they like the bands on the shirt and don't know anything about the fest.

I raise a glass to this fest selling out, because I don't want XI to be the end.

First a question. Obviously a sell-out is desired every year. For all of the work involved, you don't want to merely break even either. When you say "fails to sell", do you have a specific number of tickets sold in mind? That is, if you fail to sell X number of tickets in a given year, does that solidify the end of the show the next year? Just wondering if you had a number in mind, whatever that number is.

Anyway, for me, the festival isn't about the headliner. I would travel for a strong "undercard". If enough bands come that ordinarily don't tour the US, then I'll fly down gladly to the show. For example, the biggest draws for me this year are Tomorrow's Eve and Royal Hunt (and Andre Matos). A friend of mine is flying in to see Power Quest. Like you said, most true headliners have already played the fest. There aren't many bands left that are "true headliners".

Healiners building a tour around a PPUSA show are great, but I'd like to see the PPUSA show be different than the show they do on the rest of the tour. This fest is different than just another tour date in the US. If a band plays PPUSA, then does the same show across the country, I will skip the Chicago show. I've already seen it. I'd rather save my money for a show I haven't seen this year.

I don't mean it has to be an Everygrey thing with a string section (and very costly), but maybe mix up the setlist a bit. Using VenomGA's example of WT, WT could do a show playing more of their very early stuff and less of their new stuff. The local shows on a tour are where they promote their recent albums. PPUSA has a more educated audience, and would appreciate the full catalog of a band rather than just the promotion of the latest CD.

I know that is tough for bands to do because they have to practice and set up for those different songs. However, it is a festival and not just another tour stop.

I truly believe that it's better to burn out than fade away. If a show fails to sell and maintain the lofty levels we have achieved over the past decade, then there will only be one more show that following year. ProgPower USA will make a curtain call and go out while on top.

This kind of statement, with 6 months of sales to go and not even a publicly confirmed band for next year, is remarkably premature to be a sticky on this public forum. I understand that we're all a close-knit group here and most everyone knows/hears everything, but I'm not understanding why there has to be so much drama halfway between fests.

I understand that it's difficult, but if ProgPower USA makes a curtain call, wouldn't it be better to just give a thank you note to the fans after an enjoyable festival is had by those that do attend this year? I'd rather be remembered for that than public frustration, drama and burning out. That way when you have your "last ProgPower" people are actually EXCITED to attend.

I honestly have to say that reading this (and the last thread) I am even LESS inclined to attend ProgPower USA this year. I will be/would have been one of those last minute ticket buyers this time around.

I still see Progpower having the ability to offer a great selection of acts that would still result in a sold out show. The days may be gone of having a huge headliner on both a Friday and Saturday, but there's still room for growth in a lot of areas. I'd love to see an evening with a guitar virtuoso to another all-star jam.

I'd even be thrilled seeing some sort of Mike Portnoy drum clinic, etc. For those of us that live in remote locations, it's a real thrill to be able to spend a weekend immersed in the sort of music we love.

I still see Progpower having the ability to offer a great selection of acts that would still result in a sold out show. The days may be gone of having a huge headliner on both a Friday and Saturday, but there's still room for growth in a lot of areas. I'd love to see an evening with a guitar virtuoso to another all-star jam.

I'd even be thrilled seeing some sort of Mike Portnoy drum clinic, etc. For those of us that live in remote locations, it's a real thrill to be able to spend a weekend immersed in the sort of music we love.

I agree in some parts. I am totally against a Portnoy drum clinic, though. It's just like a drum solo at a concert, boring even to drummers. :lol:

Kaosaur,

I think you are taking it way too far. The intent of the thread is to discuss headliners vs. the undercard. The reason this feels like family is because I share my thoughts and like to read what the fans truly think. I believe that is one of the things that seperates this festival from others. Yes, I mentioned shutting it down in the future, but not this year. I'm not worried about this year at all. It's a reality that will happen one day and I would like to indeed prolong that as long as possible. We disagree on how to go out, but thats neither here nor there.

I will say that you not attending bewilders me. If you don't like the roster or how the show is produced, that's understandable. Not going because you disagree with a "sticky" or even with the content of my post, that's another. It comes across as you making things just as dramatic as you are accusing me of doing.

I'll either buy you a beer in Atlanta or wish you the best in your future pursuits.

Kaosaur,

I think you are taking it way too far. The intent of the thread is to discuss headliners vs. the undercard. The reason this feels like family is because I share my thoughts and like to read what the fans truly think. I believe that is one of the things that seperates this festival from others. Yes, I mentioned shutting it down in the future, but not this year. I'm not worried about this year at all. It's a reality that will happen one day and I would like to indeed prolong that as long as possible. We disagree on how to go out, but thats neither here nor there.

I will say that you not attending bewilders me. If you don't like the roster or how the show is produced, that's understandable. Not going because you disagree with a "sticky" or even with the content of my post, that's another. It comes across as you making things just as dramatic as you are accusing me of doing.

I'll either buy you a beer in Atlanta or wish you the best in your future pursuits.

Maybe I'm reading into it too far. I have a habit of doing that. My intention isn't to call you out really, I just sense a feeling of (understandable) frustration in your posts and that sticks out to me more than anything else. Personally I don't care about all the decision making stuff until after the show has actually happened because every year so far I've had a great time and your instincts have (for me) usually been right and there's always a "this is how it went down" post after the fest which is a joy to read.

As far as the lineup, I had very mixed feelings about it at the announcement, particularly about the Fates Warning headliner, but I think the rest of the lineup is absolutely killer. Pagan's Mind & Circus Maximus easily seal it for me but I've very vocally said in the past that I would travel ANY distance to see Orphaned Land. Then with Brainstorm, d:s:eek:, PowerQuest and the AMAZING pre-party you have lined up, well, you get the idea. I may not be thrilled about Fates Warning, but that wouldn't make/break my decision on the fest. My reasons for possibly not making the fest this year are almost entirely monetary (partially because the Scan lineup is really tugging at me).

You probably have a point about my post being equally dramatic, but that's something I already have somewhat of a reputation for and that's just how I am. I would be happy to buy you a beer in kind if I make it to Atlanta this year.

(an aside: Crap, that's two people I have to not forgot to buy a beer for this year, as Claus & Tess keep reminding me after my faux pas last year.)

To be honest, the headliner is often not the draw for me. There are a lot of acts where I'm there for the undercard. As you say, there aren't too many headliners anymore which would be considered "special" nowadays. I don't mind that the headliner tours, and I actually think that it is a good thing that they do, because it gives them the opportunity to spread the love.

Glenn, just put together your best group of 10-12 bands and you will get people to show up. Not the best 10-12 bands, but the best GROUP of bands, once where they work well together in a lineup. You've done a great job for these 10 years and you've managed to convince me that I should spend lots of money 8 of those 10 years to show up.

If there was any accuracy in your statement, you might be funny. But its just a cheap shot at a controversial band that doesn't hold up.

Totally agreed. It's not like the whole world hates Pain of Salvation. I am pretty sure there are more ProgPower attendees who love PoS than hate them.

Then again, you gotta remember most of the haters dislike them because they have different opinions about America anyways... :lol: as if it's wrong to have your own opinion about anything.

In a good economy you could sell out PPUSA with almost anyone on the line up based on the reputation of the festival. But, now its all about economics. The die hard gold badge crew has thinned out slightly. These in my opinion are those that would come no matter who was on the bill. This forum is made up of many more of those folks and i have seen a lot of those say they may not make it due to the economy. This line up is a very strong line up to say the least. If you can't make it on this one, I don't see you making it with anyone in this economy. The only way is to go with a different type of band/s that reach out to a bigger audience that will no doubt challenge the use of the ProgPower name. You said it your self, this forum is not the rule. Many here say they would take a more undercard/ no name based festival. That will not pull in new fans in this economy and there is not enough old fans ponying up based on this stellar line up in front of us. I know you are trying to look in your crystal ball to over a year from now to see what will be and I feel for you in that it is a near impossibility.

I too run into folks all the time who have no idea of the festival but like some of the bands that play there. I had several people in Charlotte at the Symphony X show ask me about my PPUSA shirt. They had no clue yet they are at a Symphony X, Into Eternity, Epica show. WTF? It's a catch 22 because you may need more advertising to reach those people. But then that's more money out in this crap hole economy.

I Know i am offering you nothing here and I am just ranting. Sorry. I would hate for the festival to burn or fade away but all good things usually do. I do think it is way to early to start thinking in term of burning out. I know it's easy for me to say that as t is not my cash on the line. Someone above asked what the magic number is on ticket sales to make or break the fest. I don't know what that is but I feel you will hit that target this and next year. I think then the economy shifts and you see an incline in patrons on PPUSA 12. To be safe though, i think you have to book those who put butts in seats for PP 11.

I too run into folks all the time who have no idea of the festival but like some of the bands that play there. I had several people in Charlotte at the Symphony X show ask me about my PPUSA shirt. They had no clue yet they are at a Symphony X, Into Eternity, Epica show. WTF? It's a catch 22 because you may need more advertising to reach those people. But then that's more money out in this crap hole economy.

Maybe Glenn should start a street team. Or at least offer up easily printable posters for people to hand out to shows within a certain distance from Atlanta.