Headliner Feedback Request

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I had posted a poll on this subject earlier, but ended up deleting it because I wasn't happy with the way the votes would have worked. Anyhow, this is the situation I find myself in:

a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

Let's hear some feedback and NOT turn this into a simple nomination thread. Those posts will be deleted.

Glenn H.

Bear,

I luv ya bro, but your post was a nomination and I have to be fair and delete it. I said I would delete all of those in that aspect. Do you have any thoughts on the situations above and how it would effect the general ticket buyers outside of this forum?

Glenn H.

a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

I like this idea...a band that is proven it's worth at the festival and deserves a headlining spot!

My take is that any band that I like is a good choice, no matter how many times I've seen them.

That being said, if I had to pick from one of your options, I say go for Sonata Arctica or another band that hasn't played ProgPower, but has played the States. After all, that was Nevermore, and if it was good for Nevermore, it's good for Sonata Arctica or Hammerfall.

In all honesty, I'd like to see you take a gamble on another band we might all be grateful for being introduced to. obviously financially this is higher risk, as you said, but it could pay off...

I think you need to follow your gut Glenn. I would be open to seeing 'Tage in some form, but would also sit through SX being that they truly always put on a great show and have a tremendous catalog to select from. The other bands you mentioned would be great as well.

All I can do is offer my belief in that I know you will select a band that you feel would enhance the festival. As I learned from an interior designer once "Where there is fear there is no creativity". So try to use that as your guide.

Bear said:
Bear,

I luv ya bro, but your post was a nomination and I have to be fair and delete it. I said I would delete all of those in that aspect. Do you have any thoughts on the situations above and how it would effect the general ticket buyers outside of this forum?

Glenn H.

Sorry Glenn, I am rushing to get things ready this morning and I didn't read it completely.

I think after the success you have garnerd with the reputation of the fest in a whole, I wouldn't think you would be hard pressed to find a more than suitable replacement. I say go with your gut instinct, because its been working for you this far. As for outside of the forum, I know there are many many people who have heard of Prog Power that do not come to our type forums,word of mouth travels far and wide. I say based on the lineup you have already in tact is the making for a great fest. Good luck brotha!!

Bear

A. I'd prefer not to see a repeat performance, especially by a band that's been to the festival more than once. Though I love SX and Kamelot, seeing them yet again at ProgPower wouldn't exactly get me excited.

B. and C. This is the way I'd go if I was in your shoes.

D. It's your money, so I think it's a bit unfair for anyone to suggest you take a risk. While it would be the option that I would prefer, I've already bought my Gold Badge, so I'm not the demographic you're chasing.

Good luck.

Zod

Harvester said:
b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

Glenn H.

Either of these would be great. It wouldn't matter to me if they had played the states already, especially if it was only a once or twice kind of thing. I'm coming either way. Much like Zod, I would not be excited about a repeat SX or Kamelot performance. I would be very excited about a band getting "bumped up" to a headlining performance like a Silent Force or Pagan's Mind type deal...

Look forward to seeing the result.:headbang:

Harvester said:
I had posted a poll on this subject earlier, but ended up deleting it because I wasn't happy with the way the votes would have worked. Anyhow, this is the situation I find myself in:

d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

Let's hear some feedback and NOT turn this into a simple nomination thread. Those posts will be deleted.

Glenn H.

In my opinion Glenn, you already have a repeat, repeat, repeat headliner in Evergrey (which is going to slay), so instead of going the safe route and book another repeat headliner, I would be more inclined to go with option b or c. Granted Sonata has toured the U.S., but I would assume it was in a very limited capacity and there must be plenty of states that they missed. They have yet to play the festival and with the release of a DVD next month and 4 or 5 albums behind them, including a double live in Japan, you can't go wrong there. As for option c., that would work as well. I have a band in mind, but I won't say it since I don't want my post deleted. I would stay away from option d. at this point. And obviously, if it starts to become a real hassle, i'm sure you can always rely on Symphony X or Kamelot (which would be great!) Whatever you decide, i'm sure things will work out nicely. Look forward to hearing your decision.

Harvester said:

I love suprises.... but am less interested in repeat perfomances and/or bands that may or may not be touring the states. With that said, I would selfishly go with this option. :D

Of course, the finacial situation is completely understandable, but we have a saying at my day job - "It's always easier to spend someone eleses money, or at least watch them spend it on you." LMAO!!! :tickled:

\m/
Dustin

Harvester said:

I like this one.

My hunch is that this festival now sells itself, and any subset of 5-6 good and well known bands is enough to draw a sellout, regardless of their spots on the roster. You probably have the freedom to be a bit experimental and riskier. I'd rather have you go after something more unique than a safe and obvious choice such as ones you've mentioned.

There is a potential future impact beyond the simple question of whether this year sells out or not; if you take a risk on something that ends up being a dud, this may end up being an "off year" in the history of the festival, whereas past years seem to have been building on each other in terms of prestige. But, I doubt that would have any long term impact on ticket sales unless you had immediate plans to upscale to a larger venue, which I hope you don't :)

Obviously you can get a better feel for the situation this year by, for example, the gold badge business you're getting so far. Are payments on pace with last year, or are you having more gold badge "abdications" than in other years? If gold badge business gives you any concerns about this year, then by all means, go for the sure thing like Sonata Arctica, etc.

If not, then work that promoter magic, take a chance, and pull something unique and potentially memorable out of your ... well, your hat.

If nothing's solved by early April, come to Powerfest and we'll get you drunk and fill your head with all sorts of silly ideas!

Ken

After the cancellation announcement, I just assumed the easiest route would be Symphony X. It sounds like they're making some pretty good progress on the new disc...even if it's not ready to release by ProgPower, maybe we could get a sneak preview of some new material.

While I would certainly not be disappointed in any opportunity to see Symphony X again, my preference would be Brainstorm, if that is indeed an option. 'tage in some form or another is also always welcome, and Kamelot following Epica would be pretty cool, as well.

From your options listed above, 'a' would be the one that I'm most interested in, while 'c' would certainly work, as well. I personally would be least interested in option 'b' (although that could rapidly change depending on what "classic" band(s) you may be thinking of), and option 'd' I would not vote for if it poses any financial risk whatsoever.

To summarize: 1) a, 2) c, 3) b, 4) N/A

As long as I'm seeing Evergrey headline Friday night, I'm a satisfied customer regardless of who you go with Saturday night.

One question first .... did Nevermore ever explore the possibility of getting a sub for a few days for their European tour ? It would seem to me that Disturbed wouldn't have a hard time finding a fill in for a few dates. I realize that Nevermore might lose out on some dollars, but they signed a contract (I think), and should live up to it. It just doesn't seem all that impossible to me if the band was actually willing to work at finding a solution that also fulfills their prior obligations.

As for option B .... I'd use that as the fall back. If it ended up that Symphony X or Kamelot, or someone like that wound up being the headliner I think everyone could live with it, but I'd make that the last resort.

As for option C .... I like that option if the band hasn't previously played Prog Power, and only has a few select dates in the states. I guess this would be my top choice.

As for option D .... this is also a good idea if it fits into the budget. There has to be a good number of bands that are headline quality and could fill some seats while fitting into the budget.

Britt

A) If its Symphony X or Kamelot

B) If its Iced Earth or Gamma Ray [though I think Iced Earth is a better option... being it would be their first time right?]

C) Would be ok...

Either way I think we'll be happy with the end result by and large. The group doesn't have to be a newcomer to the states to be part of a great festival.

But... if you could get Blind Guardian out of the studio (maybe their album would have been released by then), and have them return. Well... I think you'd be golden.

Anyhow, best of luck.

Honestly, I can see pros and cons in all the options listed. I would lean less towards 'a' as far as pleasing people, but I'd guess that would be safest financially, and given the situation, I don't think anyone would really hold it against you even if they were like "Symphony X *again*?"

As for option b and losing the "specialness," I could see a band 10 times and it would still be at least a little special to see them in the ProgPower setting. I think many folks would agree with me on that.

I don't see that c is much different from b.

D sounds like what would be my preferred option (higher reward potential), but I honestly can't even guess at how many others would agree with that. And like Zod said, I'm buying my badge no matter what, so I don't know how much my opinion weighs.

That said, again, given the situation, I think whatever you decide will be met with a *little* less bitching that usual. :D

a) I don't mind at all seeing bands that I've seen previously, especially (of course) if they are a band I like.
b) Same as above. For example, I've seen Metallica multiple times in a year/tour, (even on back to back nights), and enjoyed each concert.
c) Since I would more than likely have to drive to DC (or Atlanta) to see such a headliner, I have no problem with you booking a band on tour.
d) No comment

Thank you, Glenn.

Well, I don't need to offer a nomination because you KNOW where I stand on the matter of "my" band! Your show has always been about the "gamble" even though it's clear and evident that you aren't "gambling" anymore because you're selling the thing..FAST. That being said, I'd suggest to go with someone new to the show and not play it safe. You think you're gonna be left with tix at this point? I think not, my friend. You've already sold it for this year and the only thing left is "how fast".

That being said, you are going to have some negative feedback if you don't pick someone very established because the Nevermore faction around here is very vocal. Fuck them (with all due respect). Do what you set out to do in the beginning and that would appear to be to offer us the bands that we don't have the chance to see. The DIO idea, although it didn't happen, seemed to go over well. So I see this lot as asking for an established band with a nice catalog, a classic aspect to their career, and one that people are familiar with. Now Glenn, you'll have to be PRETTY aware of those types of bands. They are PRETTY rare. And you'll have to act PRETTY quickly to find such a band or you'll be left looking like an old MAID. Know what I mean? :)