Let's revisit the headliner issue...

Yeah - very rarely am I drawn by the headliners. Most of them I am already familiar with. I love going and checking out the bands that I otherwise would not be able to see because they are usually (well at least in the past) not on another tour after the PP date.

That said - as long as your tastes run similar to mine - I don't care if you throw 10-12 bands I have not heard of at all before on the roster, I'd probably go for the experience and the chance to check out new bands. There are still tons of great bands out there that I have yet to be exposed to - that is one of the things I rely on this forum - and you as ringleader of the Festival to do for me :)

A fest full of 2,3s & 4s is as good as a festival with 1 or 2 5 (headliners) and then a bunch of 1/2 level bands. Each year is different, each lineup is different, each year my situation is different. One thing that stays constant is I always have a great time, hear some great new bands, visit with old friends and make new ones. As long as that stays the same - it doesnt matter who is headlining (to me) - the Festival itself and it's attendees are the Main Attraction every year.

Cheers
jeff

I'd rather have a strong undercard vs. a big name headliner, better chance to see bands I like that don't/can't play here in the states often. The big name headliner's these days have enough of a fan base to build a tour around the PP appearance as is being done recently more and more so I'll catch that band on their tour if it's someone I like. My impetus for travelling 850 miles each way to Atlanta as always been to see the bands I know I probably won't ever get a chance to see otherwise.

I'd rather have a strong undercard vs. a big name headliner, better chance to see bands I like that don't/can't play here in the states often. The big name headliner's these days have enough of a fan base to build a tour around the PP appearance as is being done recently more and more so I'll catch that band on their tour if it's someone I like. My impetus for travelling 850 miles each way to Atlanta as always been to see the bands I know I probably won't ever get a chance to see otherwise.
This is especially true for those of us on the coasts. At this point, there's no one Glenn is going to book in that headliner slot, that I won't get to see in support of every disc they release.

Zod

I found out about this fest because of Pink Cream 69....and they were probably the "lightest" AOR-type band ever to play here. Although I like other bands similar to PC 69, I agree that this fest really is not for them. I love P Tree, but agree that this is not the right type of fest for them either. While not a fan of the harsh vocals, I know others are...so a couple of bands like that are ok with me if the overall band is decent. Most of the time, I like the undercard bands more than the "established" headliners. While not a huge fan of either of this year's headliners, the rest of the lineup is solid enough for me (especially the showcase).

Honestly, Prog;/Powermetal is NOT my first metal genre of choice. HOWEVER and comma, I do love going to progpower and I tend to skip a lot of the touring bands knowing that I will specifically see them at progpower. I'd rather be suprised there. To me it makes more sense to get a baby sitter for one weekend, visit all my friends and blow a ton of money VS. Getting a sitter for a couple of hours, paying for the sitter, parking, show tickets or taking my son with me and increasing that expense by 10 fold.

-Metal

Now for PPX I thought initially that it gonna be like a celebration, but I understand Glenn point on the cost of assembling such an all-star line up. So this year for me (besides seeing the people again) is about Sabaton and Matos (regardless of their slots) plus the showcase with Primal Fear. The other bands may become pleasent surprises (like Leatherwolf was at the PPVII showcase) or just something to be ignored.

Now headliner or not I believe that they're a lot of bands that can attract audience to the festival if brought to it:

Astral Doors (Swe)

Derek Sherinian and/or Planet X (USA)
Benedictum (USA)
Cryonic Temple (Swe)
Darkwater (Swe)
Dream Evil (Swe)
Falconer (Swe)
Forgotten Tales (Can)
Highland Glory (Nor)
Lana Lane (USA)
Pharaoh (USA)
Skyclad (UK)
Tarot (Fin)
Tyr (Far)

My point is that are many, many bands suitable for the festival that hadn't been there yet (as far as I know) and may interest people if they show and are bands that may not be touring the country and/or may not be that expensive to bring so it worth the shot.

Just a thought.
I agree with many of the bands you listed, my friend! I'd love to see all of the bands I highlighted here in the next 4 or 5 PPUSA's! Hail!:headbang::kickass:

I'm not trying to imply that this show won't sell out...I just think it's a bit ridiculous to think the festival will sell-out every year based on reputation alone. People don't go to a show thinking "hey, this year's lineup isn't that great, but last year was awesome!" The majority of festival goers go because they like the lineup of bands playing in that particular year. Not because it has a good reputation.

I'm going to meet you somewhere in the middle on this one. I agree with what you are saying in regards to festivals in general. I do believe that this one is a bit different. Take a look at what ZOD said and how he ranked the headliners since PP2. He had almost ZERO interest in most of them. The draw has been the under card ( and I know he has been lukewarm on some of it) and ( I believe I can speak for him here as I have seen his comments on this) the experience. For many people, ProgPower USA is the once a year vacation. They plan on it before they even know the line up. I am not saying that makes up the majority but I think it does target a healthy built in attendance number. I do agree that if he booked William Hung and the like that numbers would crash but when has PPUSA not had quality bands. To be honest, last year for me was the weakest line up yet for my taste and I still went. I don't think you can say that Glenn could book just anyone and sell out, but I don't think he needs heavy hitters in all 10-12 spots and I think he has proven that. Based on the fact that glen does ZERO advertising, I can only see that his reputation and that of the festival is a huge contributing factor to the festivals success.

In the end I do agree with you that reputation alone does not a sold out festival make. But a solid reputation with quality bands has and will. That is what has been offered and I am sure that is what Glenn intends to continue to offer.

Glenn,

Here's one suggestion. Thus far, the festival has been successful through word of mouth amongst fans. However, with the changing economic times, perhaps it's necessary to use the media in order to sell tickets. I'm sure that funds are limited, but keep in mind the old adage that "You have to spend money in order to make money." Local cable advertisements aren't terribly expensive. Perhaps you can look into securing a commercial spot on VH1 Classic during "Metal Mania" or "That Metal Show." The latter of the two may be getting flack on this forum, but it just proves that metalheads are watching. Maybe you can advertise to the average viewers of these shows by presenting the fest as an introduction to the new generation of metal influenced by the classic bands they know and love. Having a headliner like Fates Warning may convince some of these folks to check it out.

In addition, I agree with those on the forum who suggested special sets by headliners. I don't think most of the fans expect a stage show like the one Evergrey had at ProgPower VII. Instead, I think a lot of folks would be excited to see their favorite band perform a set of rarities or one of their albums in its entirety. For example, how many Kamelot fans would pay good money to see them perform "The Fourth Legacy" from start to finish? I'm thinking enough to sell at least half of your tickets alone.

On a final note, I know that you really don't want to move the festival away from Atlanta, but it might prove lucrative to host the show in a more centralized location. I know I'm going to sound like a fanboy of my hometown, but a city like Chicago would be great for such a festival. The "old school" promotion (flyers and such) in the local area alone would generate enough of a buzz to pack a venue. The existence of the Chicago Powerfest doesn't pose a threat, as the promoters of that show are shooting for a different type of audience now. If you don't think that this idea's too crazy, you can always shoot me a private message. I'd be happy to help in any way.

That said, I'm still confident that the show has plenty of years left in it. The approach just might need some tweaking.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Take a look at what ZOD said and how he ranked the headliners since PP2. He had almost ZERO interest in most of them. The draw has been the under card ( and I know he has been lukewarm on some of it) and ( I believe I can speak for him here as I have seen his comments on this) the experience. For many people, ProgPower USA is the once a year vacation. They plan on it before they even know the line up.
You are correct. However, I think I may have overemphasized sentiment to the point of everstating it. And while it is true, that we'd come even if the line up was of zero interest, that has never been the case. 2006 came close. I was only interested in the two opening acts (Pyramaze & Zero Hour).

Zod

For me, it's all about the headliners. They are the only ones that get a full set. I may love Power Quest, but I wouldnt' spend hundreds of dollars to see one band I like play for 45 minutes.

But if the headliners are great, I'll sit through an undercard I don't like to get to them. I know Progpower isn't just a heavy metal concert, but how many average fans really go to a metal show based on bands other than the headliner? In any average concert, the headliner is the one selling the tickets. That's why they are the headliner.

ProgPower without a big headliner would be like a Wrestlemania with decent matches all the way up and down the card, but no huge main event. And in wrestling, you can get away with return matches if there's a twist that makes the return match worth seeing. Likewise, you can bring back Edguy, Stratovarius, Evergrey, what have you, as long as there is something new to see(special one-time performance, new kick-ass album).

On a final note, I know that you really don't want to move the festival away from Atlanta, but it might prove lucrative to host the show in a more centralized location. I know I'm going to sound like a fanboy of my hometown, but a city like Chicago would be great for such a festival. The "old school" promotion (flyers and such) in the local area alone would generate enough of a buzz to pack a venue. The existence of the Chicago Powerfest doesn't pose a threat, as the promoters of that show are shooting for a different type of audience now. If you don't think that this idea's too crazy, you can always shoot me a private message. I'd be happy to help in any way.

Glenn can doubtless chime in on this, but I'm fairly sure Chicago was one of the cities he seriously considered -- and contacted venues in -- when he was moving the festival from JJ Kelley's after PPUSA 1. He was willing to hold the festival in a different state at that point....heck, PPUSA I was held a loong way from Glenn's home. :)

I know he tried venues in Philly and in a few other Eastern cities and none of them would give him serious consideration...after all, he was an unknown quantity at the time, and he comes along asking to basically rent out a decent-sized hall for two nights.

Remember that a venue for future ProgPowers had to have several qualities that Glenn was specifically looking for:
  • appropriate size, not too big of a barn, but not a 300-capacity bar like JJ Kelley's. A "small hall" in biz parlance
  • proximity to hotels...since he knew that at least half of the audience would be flying in
  • proximity to mass-transit, preferably with a direct connection to the nearest airport
  • adequate backstage facilities to support at least 5 bands each night, along with catering, etc.
He considered a few venues in Atlanta as well, but none of them met the requirements like Earthlink Live (now Center Stage...again) did. As it happened, my then-roommate Tim knew the venue people and I hooked Glenn and Tim up. Tim was able to convince them that Glenn really was serious about booking the hall for two nights and the rest is history. :kickass:

Glenn I think you have done wonders for the metal community. I have been turned on to so many bands because of the festival. I guess to me it's not the headliner that draws my attention but the other bands are what excites me. I personally like the power metal bands over the prog-metal. I have no problem with AOR bands or more traditional or thrash metal bands on the bill. I don't see anything wron with mixing things up. Although I haven't been a regular attendee mostly due to money and/or time. I am still working on tickets for this year (the money issue again, lesser hours and bills). I think the ticket prices are very reasonable. Especially when compared to other tours. I would love to do whatever I can to help promote the festival.

I like some prog, some death, but I'm generally more of a power metal girl. I am very happy with the ways PP provides a fairly even mix of these types of bands (some pure power, some pure prog, some that blur the lines, and some that push the boundaries of these two genres a little more in other directions - AOR, death, folk, etc.). I'm not opposed to the occasional growls, heavier bands, or progressive bands, but I would not really want PP to shift drastically in any of these musical directions.

The biggest reason I come to PP is because there are generally at least 3 or 4 bands that I'm really interested in and I can generally guarantee that there's going to one or two bands that I know very little about that blow me away once I see them live. Sometimes there are more bands like those. Whatever I don't care for as much, generally allows me the time to do merch, food, and meet with friends.

I would be a shame to see PP burn out or fade away. I hope it can continue for a long time, but I also believe it's called Prog Power for a reason. If you're going to do something way different, than I'd rather just let PP end on a strong note and do a different fest under a different name.

Bobbie said it much better than I ever could :lol: But I agree with you 100%. PP is unique in it's regard as a mix of known/unknown bands and a good mix of power and prog. Something for everybody.

About the headline issue... Steve and I found about about PP USA because he wanted to see Stratovarius and found out they were playing PP USA VI in 2005 as a headliner. We've been back ever since. So headliners ARE important, but sometimes you need to make a headliner. Glenn has done that several times and has been successful.

Glenn needs to book the manualist that can play everything from the Star Wars theme to Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner on his hands! That would be something that would definitely be a good icebreaker/kick-off event to the weekend!

Oh and boob aka Bob, the was a good comeback! I read the post and thought "Is he referring to Adult Video News?" and sure enough I was right (hey if my mind wasn't in the gutter it would be homeless!) That was definitely one of the ultimate" Progpower WTF? Moments" - see it could have it's own category in an awards ceremony!

Paul,

I completely understand the trouble Glenn must have gone through to find a venue that would host the festival eight years ago. However, by now he has managed to build a reputation for himself that should allow him access to better venues in major metropolitan areas. Don't forget that the Chicagoland area now has The Pearl Room, which now hosts shows for just about every metal band that tours the country. It doesn't have the atmosphere that Center Stage has, but I think it has the right capacity. It's also adjoined to two bar areas complete with stages (perfect for vending areas and/or pre-show events. In addition, it has backstage facilities suitable for the bands. As for transportation and lodging, there is access to the Metra line directly from the venue, plenty of bus routes, and a decent amount of hotels within a ten minute drive from the venue. Besides, the local turnout for this show would most likely exceed half capacity, particularly if you were to go back to the single-day pass option.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I think Atlanta has worked out well for Progpower to be held at. I like the venue, there's always tons to do in Atlanta during the non-show times, hotels near the venue, the Marta. Really it's sort of a one-stop shopping in my eyes.

Glenn,

Having been an early and fairly long support, I will chime in.
I stopped going due to personal reasons as a first consideration, so ignoring that aspect i will continue.

I am all about the headliners. I have spent more than $2k to fly to other countries to see a band that i love. While the festival never reaches those costs, I simply will not bother to go to a concert that doesn't have a hand I love. I do not even attend concerts of bands that I don't own all of their albums.

Being more a power fan than prog this presents some dificulty in my deciding to go to the festival. While I bought easily over a hundred new CDs last year, only Matos excites me this year. But I could not classify this as love.

I think the best option is to maintain one big headliner (returner or not) then populate the undercards with bands that have solid fanbases but really dont get to tour much outside off the coasts. Possibly expanding the music into some other cross overs genres of metal might work. I would obvisouly prefer heavier. I know bands like Rage and Running Wild work well as undercards, but are too expensive for such status. Unfortunately, they are also not popular enough for headliner status in the US. So i understand your delimna.

All that said I hope to come back, assuming work permits me to be on the continent during the time.