Headliner Feedback Request

I would go for the gamble, get something we can't get in the states. It might be hit or miss, but a hit would be amazing and a miss couldnt hurt the festival much in my eyes.

D, C, B, A.

I never came to PP before last year. I came last year because it was going to be my only chance to see Manticora (hopefully not 'ever'). I'd have gone anywhere to see them. That being said, I had so much fun with the whole festival thing, that it didn't matter that I was only there to see Manitcora, I enjoyed just about all the bands playing there, along with the whole atmosphere of the event.

I was planning on coming to this year's PP no matter who plays it, and I still am (even though Nevermore was the biggest attraction for me from an 'already know of them' standpoint). But last year, I was blown away by bands like Angra and Symphorce. Bands I never would have gotten into prolly. So my reason for going to PP is definately to see 'new bands' I haven't seen before. I've seen Evergrey, and I'm fine with them headlining. but frankly I'd like to see bands I don't have a chance of seeing in the US on a common basis. I'd die to see Rage, but I heard their appearance @ PP left a bad taste in their mouth, which is a damn shame. But like I said, I'd much rather see a band I don't have the opportunity to see touring the US, like Rage or Dragonforce, Dream Evil, Primal Fear, Nocturnal Rites, Biomechanical, Demons & Wizards, Edguy, etc.

It's bands that I won't have the opportunity to see again for a long long time that would make it 'special' for me.

In any case, do whatever you can Glenn. I'm sure you will get a great headliner.

metalprof said:
My hunch is that this festival now sells itself, and any subset of 5-6 good and well known bands is enough to draw a sellout, regardless of their spots on the roster. You probably have the freedom to be a bit experimental and riskier. I'd rather have you go after something more unique than a safe and obvious choice such as ones you've mentioned.

I largely agree with this, and I'd personally prefer with either (1) the repeat headliner (a la SymX, Kamelot, or PoS would be ideal), or (2) something new and different. This year seems particularly power-metal-heavy (or maybe the prog bands are the ones I'm not familiar with yet?), so my only real preference is for a band who is at least *somewhat* progressive. You haven't disappointed us so far, so go with your gut feeling...we trust you. :worship:

I think it's awesome that you're even asking for our feedback...though of course, I know that part of the reason is that you want us to like the roster and buy a ticket. :loco:

I'll be there either way (mailing my Gold Badge payment today...would have sent it sooner, but I've been busier'n a one-armed wallpaper hanger).

Thanks,

Craig

Glen,

As much as I would love to see a repeat band, ie. PoS, SX, Vanden Plas, ect, one of the best parts of this festival for me has been every year I discover a new band that I totally dig. (one is returning this year, Mercenary!)

So, I would lean towards a band that has never played PP and amaze us, as you always have, with your cunning instinct for choosing excellent bands. IMHO

There ... no matter what. :headbang:

well scanning through all the posts so far it looks like it is going to be B. I honestly couldnt care less I know that doesnt help much, but last year was my first year to PP so I havent seen none of the bands listed other than Iced Earth, but that doesnt mean that I wouldnt mind seeing them again.

Just in the name of everything good and holy dont get PoS!!

Glenn:: Have you put much thought into moving a different group into the Headliner spot and getting somebody to take theirs? I think Epica or Mercenary would fit it well.

God I'm loving Mercenary.

Honestly A B and C sound equally good to me. I would tend to shy away from option D, I think you've already had enough bad luck this year, and going for something safe, definitive, and undoutably easier would probably be the best way to go. I know people love the idea of seeing some huge surprise, but at this point for this prog power I would just go with someone who you know puts on a really good show who can be definitively booked. Keep in mind, this festival is ALWAYS a rare place to see the best of prog/power is the USA and given the set time they deserve. I don't think anyone would be like 'Oh I've already seen Symphony X, I'll skip' (for example). Personally the opportunity to see these guys get to play a huge setlist rather than a short, somewhat pop conscious setlist is enough insentive to get me down there for any of the bands I really enjoy.

My top choice is A. I've seen Symphony X countless times (including PP4), but would love to see them again. I saw Kamelot at PPV, I saw Tage at PPV, etc. If they kick ass, who cares if we've seen them before? Grab 'em and go. Safest best for the money IMO.

Alternatively, any of the other 3 are fine with me, just not my top choice. I know your choice won't please everyone (maybe not even me! :p), but I'm sure whatever it is will do well for the fest and generate excitement.

Harvester said:
b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

Let's hear some feedback and NOT turn this into a simple nomination thread. Those posts will be deleted.

Glenn H.

A toss-up between B and D. Either way, I'd like to see a band that is "new to PPUSA".

Stacy

Harvester said:
I am and I'm not.

Glenn H.

I just want to say a big THANK YOU for actually listening to us...how many concert promoters give a damn about the audience? Very few, probably--they are in it for the buck first and foremost and could not care less about our opinions.

So I say, do whatever feels best for YOU, man. I would be coming anyway. You could have Kelly Clarkson headline on Saturday and I would not care, given the bands you have already booked!

Harvester said:
b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

This is the option I feel is the strongest. It's bit of a safe pick, but it also won't be in conjunction with any kind of current tour, so even though there's always going to be bitching, many, many people will be happy with the selection.

Although I love big surprises, given how this year has gone I do not feel this is the time for big surprises unless it's obvious to you that the surprise is a sure fire no-brainer.

Jason

Any band that HASN'T played ProgPowerUSA yet. I don't want a repeat, even of bands I like. Gimme something new!
Now and Forever,
lmjh

B or D for me. More towards B just because I see what some of the options could be, and I know all of the bands (and they're all GREAT live, and as festival closers). D on the other hand is interesting for me, because it could be a great band that I didn't think would play PP, or I may have never even heard of them and be slightly disappointed that 'they' are headlining. Either way, no matter WHO the band is, I'll be there, and look forward to finding out who it is.

I think you should go with Option A, reason being is because I think and, also many others, think that the bands who have made very good success at progpower before deserve another round at it. I would personally love you Glenn, if you had symphony X be the other headliner. Seeing Evergrey and Symphony back to back headlining would literally look really great and assuredly be a legendary lineup.
Thanks for listening man.

I would prefer some sort of 'special' type deal try to be worked out...one-off/reunion/solo deal. I realize this is the most difficult to do, but would be the most intriging for me. I submit that the Conception reunion, last year, will always be at the top of any live gig list from hence forth.

Second option, for me, would be a classic metal band. I have lobbied for a certain NWOBHM band, on this forum before, and would love to see them, or another band like them, at PP. A sort of history lesson, if you will.

Third would be a band that has done limited shows in the US. A band like Sonata Arctica doesn't count, as they have/will have played about 30 shows in North America(as someone has already mentioned).

As for returning bands, like S:X/Kamelot/BG, I'm sure you could turn to one of them as a last resort, without too much hassle. They could be used as a fall back, if no other option could be worked out.

GB's bought - hotel booked - just need to make travel arrangements - will be there regardless.

I like option b.