Headliner Feedback Request

My first choice would be (B). Only because Sonata Arctica seems to be a good fit. They seem to have a strong following, (at least on this forum) and have been able to come stateside, which is more than alot of bands have done. And to top it off, they've never played ProgPower before.

My second choice would be (A). The person who said you're "preaching to the choir" had a really good point. The people who frequent this forum will most likely be going regardless of who headlines Sat. Hell, I've never been to a PP yet but I plan on flying in from VT, no matter who you get. I'm so psyched about Evergrey and Pyramaze, that you could book Pat Boone and let him play "Crazy Train" for 2 hours for all I care.

For every one person who says, "I've seen Symphony X six times already, I want somebody new," there's probably 5 people who haven't seen them once and would die for a chance to see them. And guess what, those people bitching will still show up and won't shut up after the show about how much they rocked. Besides, they haven't played PP since 2003, so it's not like they played last year.

In the end though, I realize this is all easier said than done. It's too easy for us to sit on our collective asses and say "pick this band, pick that band." No matter who you get someone will love you for it and someone will be pissed. Just do what feels right to you, and we'll have faith that this years ProgPower will rock our f**kin' socks off. :headbang:

DreamThief said:
My first choice would be (B). Only because Sonata Arctica seems to be a good fit. They seem to have a strong following, (at least on this forum) and have been able to come stateside, which is more than alot of bands have done. And to top it off, they've never played ProgPower before.

My second choice would be (A). The person who said you're "preaching to the choir" had a really good point. The people who frequent this forum will most likely be going regardless of who headlines Sat. Hell, I've never been to a PP yet but I plan on flying in from VT, no matter who you get. I'm so psyched about Evergrey and Pyramaze, that you could book Pat Boone and let him play "Crazy Train" for 2 hours for all I care.

For every one person who says, "I've seen Symphony X six times already, I want somebody new," there's probably 5 people who haven't seen them once and would die for a chance to see them. And guess what, those people bitching will still show up and won't shut up after the show about how much they rocked. Besides, they haven't played PP since 2003, so it's not like they played last year.

In the end though, I realize this is all easier said than done. It's too easy for us to sit on our collective asses and say "pick this band, pick that band." No matter who you get someone will love you for it and someone will be pissed. Just do what feels right to you, and we'll have faith that this years ProgPower will rock our f**kin' socks off. :headbang:

Couldn't agree more bro
except i dont really wanna see Sonata that much, i'd much rather prefer for option (B) a very suprising show from SHADOW GALLERY
and for (A)-SYMPHONY X!

DreamThief said:

Sonata Artica has done some touring in the US already, I am just not sure they are headliner-ready. But what the hell do I know.

DreamThief said:
For every one person who says, "I've seen Symphony X six times already, I want somebody new," there's probably 5 people who haven't seen them once and would die for a chance to see them. And guess what, those people bitching will still show up and won't shut up after the show about how much they rocked.
Amen, brother!
I have seen Symph X a few times, they blow me away every time, and I cannot wait until I have the opportunity to see them again.

Same thing goes for Evergrey. I could see them 50 times and I would enjoy them just as much the last time as I had the first.

I wonder if the people who say "I have seen (xband) 5 times and do not want to see them again" take the same attitude with other things. Like masturbation.

Hello, Glenn. I like option "B". GAMMA RAY would fit the bill because with only seven North American shows now and an appearance at PP3 then, they are a great candidate to headline. They have the seniority, the talent, and extremely low amount of appearances in the States. I wasn't at PP3 unfortunately, but, I heard they were very good and well received. I can only imagine how good a true headlining spot would be.

Greykiller said:
I wonder if the people who say "I have seen (xband) 5 times and do not want to see them again" take the same attitude with other things. Like masturbation.
Idle hands spend time at the genitals.

Since it seems to have all been said already...I'll just say go with choice "B". To me, it makes the most sense all around for the faithful, for the newbies, financially, and logistically.

:Smokin:

/sings to self "Gamma Ray, Gamma Ray, Gamma Gamma Gamma Ray..."

nightwish58 said:
In my opinion Glenn, you already have a repeat, repeat, repeat headliner in Evergrey (which is going to slay), so instead of going the safe route and book another repeat headliner, I would be more inclined to go with option b or c.

I second Nightwish's opinion here. Pick a good solid band you know will draw attention, but no repeat headliners... only because we already have Evergrey.

The Michael

In my opinion A. would be the best choice. Symx and Kamelot would both tear the house down. Theres nothing wrong with having repeats if they are as great as these bands are. The show will sell out definately with choice A.
With these bands you know they won't flake on you and you are gonna get a great show.
Plus how could these bands get old they will both play off there new albums

Dont risk it this year, Nevermore fell through and you are in a tight spot because of it. It will sell out no matter what.

Harvester said:
I had posted a poll on this subject earlier, but ended up deleting it because I wasn't happy with the way the votes would have worked. Anyhow, this is the situation I find myself in:

a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

Let's hear some feedback and NOT turn this into a simple nomination thread. Those posts will be deleted.

Glenn H.

My first choice would be option d - something that doesn't fit into the other categories. A repeat band could still work if it was someone who had not previously headlined - I think there are bands that a lot of us would love to see with a longer set. After that I would choose a.

B and C would be ok, but I personally would not want a classic band from the 80s, or a reunion of an old school band.

But you have support no matter which option you choose.

Chris

I'm going to be mostly useless with this reply, but I think I still want to add my $.02.

A) I am completely ok with this option IF, and only if, the band will be playing new material that we have not seen so far. For example, Kamelot's "The Black Halo" hasn't been seen live by most of us, and probably never will be unless we see it at PP. On the other side of this is the option of not going with one of these bands and using them next year as one of the few repeats.

B) This would rock. I've seen both SA and IE (IE multiple times), but I would LOVE to see a band like this again. If you go with this option, it would be preferable if they played some kind of special set that we wouldn't have gotten to see before. As far as the older band, I'm okay with that as long as it is somebody on the level of a Dio or something like that.

C) This option is fine. Just make sure they don't plan to waste our time with a 15 minute drum solo. :p

D) This would indeed be a cool way to go. You always manage to pull something interesting out of your hat, so I'm sure this would be no exception.

So as you can see, I've been of no help whatsoever so far. Here's the part that may be helpful......

.....Do what you think - in your gut - is the best option. You will not please everybody no matter who you get. However, plenty of us will be very happy with most of the options listed. More will be okay with whatever band is selected, if not happy. In the end though, this is your baby. You have to do what will be right for this festival. This is where I don't agree with a lot of people. Many people said, "do the safe thing." I don't agree. If you had always done the "safe" thing, this festival never would have happened in the first place. Instead, you do what you think will make for the best festival. Look deep inside and I suspect that you have a preference between these options - even if it is only a slight preference. Go with that. It will be risky no matter which option you select. You may select somebody risky (option D) and a lot of people might not be happy about that. You might select a repeat and a lot of people may not be happy about that. There will definately be people unhappy with whatever option you choose. In the end though, your name is synonymous with PPUSA, not our names. You have to do what you think is right for this festival. If you think some of the options are a bit of a cop-out, strike those from the list. If you're shying away from D because of the financial risk, forget about the financial risk. If you really like one option, but are afraid of how we'll like it, go with it.

As others have said, we're going no matter what. I suspect that by this time, most of the people who are going to be going to PP are not virgins. They know that this festival is about MUCH more than just the awesome bands we get to see. Yeah, I'm sure plenty of people only go based upon the roster. However, the festival has always sold out. That means that more people want to go than there are seats. If you lose a portion of your audience by your selection of bands, there are plenty of other people who will take their place. You lose a portion of your potential audience every year due to your selection of bands. I'm sure this year will be the same no matter who you select. Go with your gut man. It has served you well so far. It will continue to do so. We have faith in you!

B ... would be ecstatic for SA or GR ...
guinesschug.gif

Glen,

Go with your gut, but I'd go with A) first then D) only because of the time frame you have to work with.

Kinda Jonesin' for Threshold, tho. Would be completely happy with SyX or Kamelot, as well.

Da Pup

Hey Glen,
Crap after reading all of this I forgot what was a,b,c....but here are my humble thoughts.

I would prefer not to see a repeat headliner....but that is one of my taste only things. I have loved teh festival for 4 years now but with the exception of WOMD, Kamelot... I havent really had a headliner blow my freaking socks off...I enjoy the 3-4 positions the best for some reason.

I would really like to see something of the 80-90's era at a progpower. I come from the sticks and havent seen alot of things, which is why i love progpower. I personally think,,,altho not your gig, the leatherwolf touch is very very very nice. PC 69 was also a nice break too. There are so many 80-90's bands out there that would sure jump at the chance.

Anything that is touring the US would be fine with me. It doesnt take out the specialness for me cause 1. I prolly wouldnt have seen them anyway and 2. Even if i had, the specialness is the people at progpower, the venue, the respect of the promoter. So screw they have played before..I just dont care about that.

In addition, man, you do such a great job that I am sure somewhere a band will understand your circumstances, respect what you have done for the music community, and may reconsider the event that maybe couldnt or didnt work out before, this year or in the past. I am sure there are some bands out there that will take some additional work on to help you out. Prolly my silver lining thinking coming into play.

You could also go way way out there on something. there has to be bands that maybe arent so prog or power that prog and power fans appreciate that would work here. I know many of my friends appreciate lets say The Gathering, or a Paradise lost (dont know where to really put those bands in categories),

Either way dude, you will come up with something and even if im not a fan of that band...i.e Sym X......I can definately understand your delima and frustration and will come with smilese on my face anyway because like I said...great lineup so far.....

Again I am sorry for the nevermore thing....damn 2nd time they have done this to me to..every time i get a chance, they cancel for another festival....but like u said...it is a business too and i can respect that.

Lastly...any thoughts of moving a pre party band over....hell leatherwolf would rock my freaking ass off anyway...

Oh yeah..I am with wootsa i think...I think it would be PRETTY cool so see a band that as been around for a PRETTY good while that has some PRETTY covers back in the day with PRETTY blues and PRETTY yellows and I would be so excited with them that all the little bugs below me would see infinite YELLOW RAIN......hint hint..joy joy

ProgMetalFan said:
D

Just do something crazy.

My sentiments, exactly...although it's easy to say about someone else's money.

While Raggi made a good point earlier, I'd like to see you keep shaking things up, Glenn...keep the people on their toes...

I have a feeling you've already got some plans...but you're just fishing for some advance buy-in...or are you really shitting your pants right now...?

Either way, my condolences for the extreme pain in your ass...you've got my support either way...

Rock on!

chrisrules895 said:
I would go for the gamble, get something we can't get in the states. It might be hit or miss, but a hit would be amazing and a miss couldnt hurt the festival much in my eyes.

I agree, go for the gamble and get someone we can't get in the states. Please not Sonata Arctica because they already toured twice here this past year. Mob Rules would be a killer band to see here. If you do go the other route, bring Gamma Ray back.:headbang:

I love surprises and you already have my money. I'd love to see a band like Masterplan or Demons And Wizards. But if you bring back a previous headliner band, Symphony X is always a good choice. How about giving the headliner to a previous band but a major bump up in status like Vanden Plas, Pagans Mind or the mighty Threshold.