Headliner Feedback Request

Nevermore was the reason i was going to make the trip down this year. Not knocking glenn or anything, its just very costly for me to make it down from upstate ny without being passionate about a band i really want to see. so here are my picks for headliners......

ICED EARTH- one of my fav. bands of all time, would love to see them headline!!!!

BRAINSTORM- wish i made it down that year, wouldn't miss it for the world if they played this year.

Classic 80's/90's band- depending on who it was, im all over it!!!

Regardless what happens, i feel for you Glenn!!!

My feelings on NEVERMORE canceling- To be part of a DISTURBED tour??????????????????? Will never understand it, and i have lost a bit of respect for the guys in NEVERMORE, period!!!!!!! Just look at the what Corrosion of Conformity had to say about them touring with disturbed.......They said it was bad for the band itself, and they would never do it agian!!!!!!

Glenn.....No matter what happens, your fest is SUPREME!!! If i make the trek or not, but i do think that it did hurt you to leak things out earlier than normal this year.... Goodluck!!!:worship: :worship: :worship:

a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

Both of these seem like the best option to me.

I have always been one who visits this forum daily but seldom if ever makes any posts. However, since glenn has asked for a response, here is mine: This will make my 6th Progpower (5th with GB). Each year I have gone, I have walked away completely satisified .. er.. and a little more deaf :) One thing I have come to realize is that the headliners, for me at least, tend to get lost in the mix. Glenn always puts together such a solid lineup, I rarely ever remember the headliners. For example, I waited 14 years to finally see Stratovarius live, Glenn fulfilled that dream of mine, however, when the festival was over, i remembered more from bands like Therion, Symphorce, and Pink Cream than I did from the band I came to see.

As far as Options are concerned, I choose option B. Finding bands that have not played here before are becoming a rare commodity. Alot of the bands that are playing here now are playing sparatic month long tours that few people have access to. I have had the opportunity to see Sonata Arctica 4 times in the past 2 years (Between 4-16 hours away). Each time I have passed them up, simply because when I see them, I want it to be in a venue where they will have the best possible sound, with the best crowd and best seating. Not some cramped up club that is jammed and where the seating and view is horrible. The only place worthy of bands like Sonata is Earthlink Live. Whether glenn goes after Sonata, Gamma Ray, Some classic 80's Band, or whoever, let these bands have the honor of playing a festival that they are worthy of and will give the fans what they desire: non-stop metal :headbang:

I don't like option A since I would like to be exposed to other bands other than the safe bets and ones I have seen a few times already (although some of them are worth it). I'm not a fan of Option C because these bands who are touring are making themselves more widely available to people than the bands in Option B. Option D, well, just not my cup of tea.

Greykiller said:
I wonder if the people who say "I have seen (xband) 5 times and do not want to see them again" take the same attitude with other things. Like masturbation.
You know I'd take Greykiller doing standup comedy and reciting his infamous stories for Saturday's slot #5. That would fit well with Option D! :loco:

Harvester said:
a. I could go the safe route and book a repeat headliner that has gone over extremely well in the past. It would be a safer route for me despite the sure bitching over it not being someone new. Obviously, I'm a refering to bands like Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, Tage (in some form), etc.

In my opinion, this is a pretty good route, since we know all of those bands can put on an amazing show. Symphony X, Kamelot, Brainstorm, and Edguy* would each have some new material to focus on. I would, however, favor Savatage most of all primarily because the PPV performance focused on the first seven albums, while a PPVII appearance with Zak Stevens on stage could present material from the last five studio albums. In essence, it would be five 'new' albums since their last performance. And while plenty of people in attendance will have seen all of these bands at previous PPUSAs, as far as I know, Zak Stevens has not frontlined a full Savatage set since well before PPUSA started.

* Hey, where did that come from?

Harvester said:
b. I could go after a band that will have done some shows (some this year) in the States prior to the festival. The "special" feel will be gone, but people will know what they are getting. I refer to bands like Sonata Arctica, Gamma Ray, Iced Earth, or a classic band from the 80's/90's.

This is the least attractive option for me in terms of Sonata Arctica and probably Gamma Ray. While I did see Symphony X three years ago at PPIV, I saw Sonata Arctica three days ago (okay, six days ago). Sonata put on a fantastic show, but they will not have any new material by September.

Iced Earth, on the other hand, would be much fresher.

Harvester said:
c. I could go after a true headliner that will be touring the States this fall around the festival. It would be similar to the Stratovarius/Therion situation last fall. I cannot name anyone obviously.

This would also be a good option because we could see the band at PPVII and get the full set in the quality Earthlink venue, then those of us that wanted to see the band again locally could do so. Of course, on the other hand, this does limit the bands we see overall (at least those of us who live in or near the cities where the bands tend to go), since I could still see touring Band A when they tour out west if you got non-touring Band B to hit the stage after Epica instead of Band A.

Harvester said:
d. I could gamble and go after someone that doesn't fit any of the above options. The problem is that it is riskier from a financial standpoint because let's face it, I have already booked the sure things.

I am going to assume you are talking about the finances of bringing the band over and the risk of things falling through, and not ticket sales, because I can't imagine tickets still being available by tax day even if you announced that the new headliner would be Sharon Osbourne and Fred Durst performing duets of Celine Dion songs (with Kenny G on the sax and John Tesh on keys).

A completely new band might be the best thing, but you would have to personally weigh that reward against whatever financial and logistical risk it entails.

I would rank the first three options A, C, B, while leaving D at your discretion. D would probably be first, but you have to slide it down depending on how much risk and difficulty it entails.

4acidbath4 said:
My feelings on NEVERMORE canceling- To be part of a DISTURBED tour??????????????????? Will never understand it, and i have lost a bit of respect for the guys in NEVERMORE, period!!!!!!! Just look at the what Corrosion of Conformity had to say about them touring with disturbed.......They said it was bad for the band itself, and they would never do it agian!!!!!!

yeah... I'm not sure what Nevermore expects to gain from opening for a 3rd-tier nu-metal band 3 years past its relevance.

If Glenn chooses Option A, I would hope he brings back Brainstorm. When Andy gave our asses back last time, something got mixed up. I am really tired of sitting on this tiny bony ass that obviously belongs to someone else.

Glenn,

my preference would be 60% "B" and 40% "D". Meaning, I'd like a band that has played before (but not PP), has a great following, but some may perceive to be a gamble.

With that said, I've been part of this festival since the very first day, you have always done a GREAT job, and trust that you will again this year. I'm there no matter what -- you have my support! Good luck!

Greykiller said:
Sonata Artica has done some touring in the US already, I am just not sure they are headliner-ready. But what the hell do I know.

Amen, brother!
I have seen Symph X a few times, they blow me away every time, and I cannot wait until I have the opportunity to see them again.

Same thing goes for Evergrey. I could see them 50 times and I would enjoy them just as much the last time as I had the first.

I wonder if the people who say "I have seen (xband) 5 times and do not want to see them again" take the same attitude with other things. Like masturbation.

While I'm not really an SA fan, they do put on a good show. However most importantly, out of Symphony X (my fav along with DT), Kamelot, Savatage, along with many others I've seen at Jaxx (or heard about show attendance), Sonata has done exceedingly well -- better than most for sure!

See? I'm not a fan, just trying to share the facts from my experience with one club that hosts many of these shows. So I'm still willing to take up for them. ;-)

Glenn, I think what ever choice you make will be just fine. I personaly would like to see a new band on the list such as Morgana Lefay, Primal Fear or Hammerfall. Repete bands would be great to. For most of the bands you book rarely play the states anyway, most of us would have no problem seeing Kamelot, Stratovarius, Brainstorm, Edguy etc.... This is THE metal fest in the land and you do it right. We will have no problem with what ever choice you make.

Glenn,
I have been to pp- 2-6 and have not been disapointed yet. With that said, whatever choice you make on this situation is the right choice. This show will sell out no matter what band you get. Yes a few people will complain about it but, people will do that anyways. As for my opinion on your four choices. I feel that "A" is a good choice. If you could get brainstorm back again they are well established and they can play a long set. Also, symphony X would be good to. Either way you can't go wrong. But, I would go with choice"D". Gamble on a new band for the festival, someone who hasn't play it before. Like Firewind or Dragonforce who would bring an element of suprise and wonder to the show. either way this year is going to kick ass and you'll hear no complaining from me.

Unca Kev said:
You know I'd take Greykiller doing standup comedy and reciting his infamous stories for Saturday's slot #5. That would fit well with Option D! :loco:

Yeah, and that would last about 3 minutes. Most people at PP would toss me out after hearing just one of my "stories."

adaher said:
My take is that any band that I like is a good choice, no matter how many times I've seen them.

That being said, if I had to pick from one of your options, I say go for Sonata Arctica or another band that hasn't played ProgPower, but has played the States. After all, that was Nevermore, and if it was good for Nevermore, it's good for Sonata Arctica or Hammerfall.

I have to agree. I think this is probably the best option. As you said before, Glenn, the replacement would be a headliner caliber band. I think it would be nice to see someone who hasn't played the festival before, but is well respected and appriciated among the PP crowd. Also, not everyone gets to see every band that tours the U.S. so this would give those people a nice opportunity to see that band in a great line-up slot.

A sounds like a nice option, but more of a last resort. I wouldn't go with C. Option D also sounds nice because it is always nice to hear something new, but I guess it would have to be a band that a lot of PP supporters have shown interest in over the past years. Like you said, that might be more financially difficult. I wish you the best of luck and hope, no matter what, that everyone is appriciative of how hard you worked to make this ProgPower excellent despite how many crazy twists and turns the road has taken on the way there. Rock on! :headbang: