My personal thoughts on the Kamelot situation

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
The more that I read on various forums and media outlets, the more pissed off I get. Kamelot grew alongside the festival and hate to see negativity being thrown at them when it's not their fault. I started this thread so more folks would see it as opposed to just those following the tour thread.

I 100% agree that Roy was and is an integral part of Kamelot's success over the past 12 years. However, the band has been backed into a corner with no easy way out. The band has done everything in its power to accommodate Roy despite his abrupt decision to pull out of everything and cause all members to lose a substantial amount of money. They have given him multiple options in regards to returning and continuing the band. Need a year? No problem. Need two years? No problem. Just give us something so we can schedule and confirm things.

*Silence*

It's not happening. Khan is not in coma or mental institution screaming "BURNOUT!!!." He has simply found religion and the music world is just a distant memory now. The band is no longer his priority. I may take some heat for this, but I don’t think the fans are either at the moment. If they were, he would issue a statement clarifying things so that grieving process for his fans could commence and eventually complete. Could that change in a few years? Absolutely. However, it may not. Fans need to accept that and move on. Is the band suppose to simply wait on the sidelines indefinitely in the meantime and see all their efforts wasted?

To me, Kamelot have been total pros about everything. They have kept quiet and kept all of their options on the table while hoping that Roy changes his mind. If they say anything at all, it would may hurt the chances of a reunion or cause a fan backlash. I'm sure the label would be thrilled as well.

The reality is that this is a fulltime job for the guys in the band. Hell, several of the guys quit other bands/jobs to join Kamelot and make it a priority (Oliver & Sean). How do you think they feel right now? They have to earn a living. Thus, they tour with a high profile vocalist and plan the future accordingly as things unfold. There are some tough decisions to be made coming up. I have no doubt the band will continue to show class when making them.

with or without him I think Kamelot is going to succeed. From what I hear they did just fine at ProgPower doing what they had to do with as little time as they had to do it in. If that's not a sign of them being capable to continue despite anything that happens with Roy, then I don't know what is. I will continue to support Kamelot regardless...

I have a lot of respect and appreciation for Thomas. He's a great guy and the thing that really solidified my support for Kamelot was when Thomas took the time to watch my old band when we opened for them at the Masquerade and then e-mailed us afterwards.

Roy Khan isn't Kamelot....Kamelot is Kamelot, and Kamelot is damn good.

Bout time somebody came clean about what's going on for the fans sake.Thanks for taking the time to clarify some things.My wife and I were devastated to find out Khan was not only going to miss Progpower but now a tour for next year in the U.S. will also not include him.We knew it meant bad news.Oh well,at least now the fans can try to move on and I wish Thomas the best in finding a replacement if Khan doesn't change his mind

And here I thought Roy was suffering from a brain tumor. >_> I had no idea he was just leaving. How strange. If he really found "religion" don't you think compassion would be in there somewhere? Compassion for his band-mates and all the money they're losing?

Oy, I'll definitely go see them now.

And not just because I worship Fabio's $%*&.

upon further reflection, i now feel like a complete dick for what i said in the other thread ("if Khan is done, then Kamelot is over for me.....")
I'm obviously a fan, & i think i was just frustrated at that point.

I have nothing but the greatest respect for Thomas, Casey, Oliver & Sean, :worship: and i sincerely hope that all that they have built Kamelot into over the years is not lost because of this.

Sabbath was great with Ozzy, & it was great with RJD as well, (not sure about Gillan's time w/ the Sabs, although I love Ian's voice)- JUST DIFFERENT. Same with Deep Purple/Rainbow & all those mostly great singers.

Roy's shoes are somewhat unique & could be hard to fill, but at this stage of the game I'm just putting my faith in the fact that the guys will continue to have a vision for the band, Kamelot will move on, this is just one life's difficult/awkward/unpleasant moments.

btw glen, should we take "Khan's found religion......." figuratively, or literally?
just curious, that's the first i had heard of that. seems ironic, considering his video performance in "The great Pandemonium"

btw glen, should we take "Khan's found religion......." figuratively, or literally?
just curious, that's the first i had heard of that. seems ironic, considering his video performance in "The great Pandemonium"

This is the same thing that broke up X Japan, the first time. Toshi found religion and refused to play anything violent, so, no more 80's hair metal about "standing sex" anymore.

I feel awful for them and their situation - if they cancel this upcoming tour, they'll lose even more money and piss off the fans willing to pay and support them; but since they're going through with it, others are crying, "Traitors! This isn't what I paid to see! If you truly cared about Roy and the fans, you'd wait until he's back!" The sense of entitlement shown among fanboys on their Facebook when they announced Fabio as the replacement was ASTOUNDING - they really, really can't win!

As for the religion comment - Thomas stated in an interview a while back that he was taking "religious classes", and they don't know anything beyond that. Yeah...

I totally agree Glenn. I am a huge fan of Roy as well, but this is a job for the rest of the members in Kamelot. I'm sure they lost a great deal of money when they cancelled their previous U.S. tour. I am not a huge fan of Fabio Lione's voice, but I am willing to give Kamelot the benefit of the doubt and support them in their choice of having Fabio replace Roy. After all, who knows Kamelot better than Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean. They did everything they could in waitng for Roy. But the show must go on!:headbang:

While selfishly we can all feel disappointed by a change in vocalists (regardless of the reason), Kamelot was around before Mr. Khan. If the rest of the members (all of whom could rock the house with purely INSTRUMENTAL versions of their work) want to continue, then Kamelot will be fine, long term.

I mean, honestly, is there a more entertaining bass player than Sean? If so, I haven't had the pleasure of seeing him/her perform.

I totally agree Glenn. I am not a huge fan of Fabio Lione's voice, but I am willing to give Kamelot the benefit of the doubt and support them in their choice of having Fabio replace Roy. After all, who knows Kamelot better than Thomas, Casey, Oliver and Sean. They did everything they could in waitng for Roy. But the show must go on!
+1

I guess the ones mostly following because of Roy would drop off. Personally, I never cared much about Kamelot, with or without Roy.

The band existed before Roy and it will survive without Roy.

Thanks for taking the time to clarify things, Glenn. I've been a Kamelot fan for far too long to dismiss them over something as silly as Khan deciding to leave/take a break. I can't wait to see them on the upcoming tour with Fabio. Kamelot is great because of Kamelot, not because of Roy. If that was the case, then Conception would have been a lot more popular.

Their set at PP was great with Mike, and I think he is a much better match than Fabio but I guess name recognition won out. I wish them the best of luck, and best of luck to Roy as well.

Kamelot grew alongside the festival and hate to see negativity being thrown at them when it's not their fault.

First off, thanks for the clarification.
A lot of what you said should have come from Roy himself.

Second, I don't think anyone was being negative towards the band.
I think everyone agrees that the show must go on, but without any official statement about their future with Roy, all one can do is speculate.

Maybe you were speaking about negative comments on other forums.

I think on here though, most of us have been discussing the next tour.

Maybe you were speaking about negative comments on other forums.

Absolutely. The Khanboys & girls on the Kamelot facebook page are merciless.

Ohhh yeah, I was in the fray over there myself for a while. That whole "YOU'RE BETRAYING THE FANS BY TOURING WITHOUT HIM" thing I mentioned earlier? Not an exaggeration - there WERE people claiming that, as well as people saying that they're just touring with Fabio for "money & fame". It's seriously ugly. :|