My personal thoughts on the Kamelot situation

Ohhh yeah, I was in the fray over there myself for a while. That whole "YOU'RE BETRAYING THE FANS BY TOURING WITHOUT HIM" thing I mentioned earlier? Not an exaggeration - there WERE people claiming that, as well as people saying that they're just touring with Fabio for "money & fame". It's seriously ugly. :|

Forgive me, but I was under the impression that you were one of the people mad about the whole touring without Khan thing, and how they shouldn't tour and blah blah blah, and that you would not go see Kamelot without Khan, etc... no?

It's going to be interesting to see who they choose, and what percentage of their fan base accept the change (regardless of the reason for Khan's departure). While we can rattle off the names of bands who successfully replaced their lead singer, there's also a number of bands who tried and failed.

That's it. Idiot.
He later commented on some Blabbermouth article, complaining about how nobody on this forum understood him. It was quite hilarious, in a sad way.

Anyway, my opinion on this matter is that I trust my favourite band to do the best they can in this really shitty situation, and that I will most definitely be there to support them by seeing them live if I have the opportunity. If Roy chooses to leave the band, that is his decision and he has the right to make it. But if he does, I have to say that I hope he does not leave the music industry for good. That would be a great waste.

If Khan's heart isn't in Kamelot, then he shouldn't be in the band. Period. He has become an integral part of Kamelot's sound, but in the end the band deserves someone who is as dedicated to the band as they are.

It will be tough to adjust to the idea of Kamelot without Khan, but not impossible. Their PPUSA performance this year proved that.

That's it. Idiot.

Haha, yeah, I went from "whaaaat? :guh:" to, "OH! ARDRA. OTHER 'A' USERNAME WITH NO AVATAR AND VERY FEW POSTS. THAT MAKES MORE SENSE." :lol: And after he got the appropriate smackdown here, he ran to Blabbermouth comments for validation! Good tiiiimes.

Haha, yeah, I went from "whaaaat? :guh:" to, "OH! ARDRA. OTHER 'A' USERNAME WITH NO AVATAR AND VERY FEW POSTS. THAT MAKES MORE SENSE." :lol: And after he got the appropriate smackdown here, he ran to Blabbermouth comments for validation! Good tiiiimes.

LOL

By the way, are you coming to the Gamma Ray show? Did you ever make it to Firewind that time?

I never did get down to Firewind, but I actually have a group of friends aiming for Gamma Ray. :) Hopefully this works out!

Hats off to the Thomas and the other guys for being so professional about this. I think it's complete bullshit that Khan hasn't given them a timetable for his return (if ever). I don't care what higher calling or spirituality you may have found, show your bandmates and friends some fucking respect. I'd be pissed if I was in their shoes. That's why I say kudos to them for taking the high road.

As people will soon learn, it's about the songwriting. Those who know me, know there are very few people who are as big a a Barlow fan as I. Consequently, I was fully expecting Iced Earth to fall flat on their face without him. That said, with Ripper behind the mic, Iced Earth churned out what may be the finest 31 minutes of music since Operation: Mindcrime with "Gettysburg".

As people will soon learn, it's about the songwriting. Those who know me, know there are very few people who are as big a a Barlow fan as I. Consequently, I was fully expecting Iced Earth to fall flat on their face without him. That said, with Ripper behind the mic, Iced Earth churned out what may be the finest 31 minutes of music since Operation: Mindcrime with "Gettysburg".

This. That whole album in fact is kickass.

Though I had a feeling Khan was history at the time he left, what I don't get is all the silence. It is near insanity. But, though i greatly appreciate your view on this, Glenn, I have a question: What do you mean by "finding religion"?

There are probably many born-again Christians on the board, as there are in bands. Theocracy and Rob Rock to name two. Many people who have found religion see it as such a euphoric experience that they need to share it with others. Randy Bachmann, Cat Stevens and Neil Morse are examples of those who shared their conversions to various faiths to the world. I mean if Khan accepted Christ as his Savior, or believed that Muhammad was the prophet of Allah, and felt that Kamelot's music was not compatible with his new found faiths, would he not say so? Is it that hard to say, "Dear Kamelotians, .........recently I have accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Saviour.......after study, I need to eliminate these past sins of my involvement in Kamelot....my acceptance of Christ's teachings preclude me from singing about murder, satanic imagery and debouchery.......it is with immediate effect that I am removing myself as the frontman for Kamelot.....I wish nothing but success for Kamelot in the years down the road. Yours in Christ, Roy Saertre Khantatat. (Before I get a lynch mob, this is ONLY for example!)

Do you know what? Nothing further would be said! Who would wish this man ill afterwards? Who would be blasting Youngblood et al? Nobody! We would all be doing for Kamelot what we did for Nightwish: speculating everyone and their mother for Kamelot frontman.

The other thing that we can say "finding religion" is that Khan pulled a Peter Criss and stormed from Kamelot because he thought Thomas screwed him financially. You can somewhat understand the silence then. Khan does not want to burn a legal challenge, and Youngblood does not want to open a legal firebomb. Which comes to my next point: How much of KMI does Khan own? I mean, Youngblood could be loading up the bus for the tour with Fabio, and some schmo comes from behind the lampost and says, "Hey! You Tommy Youngblood? That famous guitarist from Kamelot? I love your work on Fourth Legacy. Great riifs. Just simply masterful. Oh, by the way, this is for you." as he takes a cease and desist order from his pocket and hands it to Youngblood. buh-bye tour.

This is the incredible problem of all the silence. Nobody knows anything, and that will affect sales. It leaves two points: Can Kamelot even get Fabio permission to work in this country? And, could there be a legal war that will affect this tour for years down the road?

I understand both sides observing radio silence. But, is it just putting a band-aid on a volcano?

I was trolling the net for quite some time and heard nothing of what happened to make Khan drop out of the US Tour. Now I find out the he just punked out? His bandmates give him way too much leeway and treated him with much more class than he deserves. No wonder they entertained the tought of touring without him anyway. WHAT A EFFING PUNK!!!

There, I feel better. I am so glad that Michael Ericcson and friends stepped in at last year's PPF and made it such a memorable performance. I will wait for their next tour and look forward to a lead singer that wants to be there, unlike Khan.

:puke:

hey, what was Kamelot's first singer's name again?

Cannot remember either? that's my point. The band is "the band" and singers can change and it's simply the beginnging of a new era.

Funny how well Kamelot has handled this whole mess opposed to Dream Theater, eh?! hahaha.

There it is, I knew the truth would come out. Thank you Glenn.
Here's hoping they can work it out with Roy, but hopefully the band will continue one way or another!