ProgPower VI Line-up

Geez, just talking about PPIII gives me goosebumps. If only I'd gone...

Blind Guardian, Edguy, Angra, Gamma Ray. Just incredible. My lifelong regret will be not seeing that one.

TheWhisper said:
If growling denotes talent, then my dog is a fuckin' genius.

I think it has more to do with endurance than talent. I don't think it takes an incredible amount of talent, that's pretty obvious, but how many can't scream for more than a minute or two? You should at least give credit to where credit is due.

I consider extreme vocals to be just another instrument. Sometimes I am in the mood for heavy heavy guitars, and sometimes I'm in the mood for a little harsher vocal styles as well.

Nightmare1z said:
I don't know, that lineup just seems too expensive. You got Symphony X, Stratovarius, Sonata Arctica, and Angra on the same list. That's just big $$ right there it seems like. Even though we did have PPIII with lots of big names, I just am skeptical that all those would attend the same festival. But Glenn's surprised me before.
If he books Sonata you might as well add Nightwish since theyre touring together. That and the fact that Glenn said last year that he would do his best to get PP as Nightwish's Atlanta date.

Harvester said:
Let me put a stop to this now. There was a misunderstanding between Kai and his road manager in regards to the end of their show. Gamma Ray went over their alloted time slot by accident. We had to react accordingly to move things along and preserve Angra's time slot. There was nothing unprofessional about it. It was just a misunderstanding. Afterwards, the band was very apologetic and Angra went on to do a great show.

Glenn H.
Apologies. It wasn't my intention to foster any false rumors.

Zod

FatesFan said:
There is only one time a year that we here in America get a chance to see some of the most amazing singers in the prog biz. I can't turn on tv and see this. I can't go to a club and see this type of music. I am all for music progressing. However, if you remember the 80-90'S...Metal progressed into grung and with the influence of hip hop we now have this nu metal fusion stuff. I suppose it would be fine if Evergrey came to progpower with special guest "Flavor Flav". Again, this is just my opinion. I suppose I am in the minority.
While I understand and appreciate where you're coming from, you're walking a very fine line. It seems that you'd like to define what Prog is and what it isn't. Just because you associate Prog and/or Power, with a given vocal style, doesn't make it so. By it's very definition, Prog Metal needs to change and evolve. I don't expect Glenn would ever have more than one, two bands tops, that leveraged some extreme vocals. But to suggest it doesn't belong, simply because you don't like it, seems to fly in the face of what this festival is about.

Just my $0.02.

Zod

General Zod said:
While I understand and appreciate where you're coming from, you're walking a very fine line. It seems that you'd like to define what Prog is and what it isn't. Just because you associate Prog and/or Power, with a given vocal style, doesn't make it so. By it's very definition, Prog Metal needs to change and evolve. I don't expect Glenn would ever have more than one, two bands tops, that leveraged some extreme vocals. But to suggest it doesn't belong, simply because you don't like it, seems to fly in the face of what this festival is about.

Just my $0.02.

Zod

First and foremost I find it important to say that I am in no way putting anyone down for their musical taste. We all differ somewhat and I think that is what makes this genre so cool. There is a little bit of everything out there for everyone. Having said that………….

I find it interesting that there are those of you that treat this music (that with extreme vocals) as a normal part of this genre but for some reason you all keep stating that Glen won’t bring more than one or two of these a year. If there is nothing wrong with it and it is part of the norm, then why not 50-50. Or maybe only bring 2 with clean vocals and 8 with extreme vocals.

As far as me trying to define prog metal………It’s already been defined. Fates warning never had death vocals. Dream Theater never had death vocals. Prog metal has evolved over the years without death vocals. By incorporating death vocals you are in fact creating a new or sub genre. There unfortunately needs to be boundaries. Otherwise, what would you call a band that sounded just like Symphony X but used death vocals purely? By your definition it would be a prog band. That doesn’t fit. I know it may seem as though I am taking this to extremes. There is a reason and maybe it goes further than just this festival.

I though it was cool when Anthrax did “bring the noise with Public Enemy”. I thought it was cool when I heard the Judgment night soundtrack that mixed metal and hip hop. They were both novel ideas. But they where both one time things. Or so I thought. You see, I did not want Anthrax to put out a hip hop album. However, now we do have a genre of metal/hip hop type music all over the airwaves that I don’t particularly care for. It is it’s own genre. If I went to an Anthrax concert and the opening act was Linkin Park I would not be happy. I would expect Metal Church or Megadeath.

Because the market goes via the way of the youth, you are going to find more and more band using these extreme vocals. There will be a reversal in vocal styles do to the demand.Not so much in established bands as just more new bands. Look at the New Headbangers Ball for proof.

Bottom line is this. I understand that there are way to many band choices out there to make everyone happy at a festival that only happens once a year. Till now I have been very happy with 99.9% of the band choice that have been made. No I do not think it is unreasonable to have one or two bands with extreme vocals at PP. I understand that my opinion has no weight in what will ever happen at PP.

Into Eternity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All I Have To Say, Fuck The Nay-sayers. Is It Written Somewhere, That There Should Be No Death Vocals In Progressive Metal?

FatesFan said:
Otherwise, what would you call a band that sounded just like Symphony X but used death vocals purely?
We'd call that band "Children of Bodom."

By your definition it would be a prog band. That doesn’t fit.
Sez who? CoB have appeared in several people's wish-lists for ProgPower over the years....fewer now since they have toured the U.S. (Yet still, that elusive two-hour performance over here eludes them, Glenn.... :D )

Bottom line is this. I understand that there are way to many band choices out there to make everyone happy at a festival that only happens once a year. Till now I have been very happy with 99.9% of the band choice that have been made. No I do not think it is unreasonable to have one or two bands with extreme vocals at PP.
Then I don't think you'll find Glenn's future bookings for PPUSAs at all unreasonable, since historically, we've never had more than one per year. (Not that I'd mind two such bands, if they were good....)

I understand that my opinion has no weight in what will ever happen at PP.
You understand incorrectly. Your opinion has as much weight as anyone else's here.

FatesFan said:
First and foremost I find it important to say that I am in no way putting anyone down for their musical taste. We all differ somewhat and I think that is what makes this genre so cool. There is a little bit of everything out there for everyone. Having said that………….
I didn't think you were.

FatesFan said:
I find it interesting that there are those of you that treat this music (that with extreme vocals) as a normal part of this genre but for some reason you all keep stating that Glen won’t bring more than one or two of these a year. If there is nothing wrong with it and it is part of the norm, then why not 50-50. Or maybe only bring 2 with clean vocals and 8 with extreme vocals.
While I can't speak for Glenn, I believe Glenn realizes that there are those Prog fans, like yourself, who don't care for Death vocals.

FatesFan said:
As far as me trying to define prog metal………It’s already been defined. Fates warning never had death vocals. Dream Theater never had death vocals. Prog metal has evolved over the years without death vocals. By incorporating death vocals you are in fact creating a new or sub genre. There unfortunately needs to be boundaries. Otherwise, what would you call a band that sounded just like Symphony X but used death vocals purely? By your definition it would be a prog band. That doesn’t fit. I know it may seem as though I am taking this to extremes. There is a reason and maybe it goes further than just this festival.
I couldn't disagree with you more. By its very definition, something can't be "progressive" if it doesn't move forward and change. To say that ProgMetal is bound to continue to produce DT and FW clones, seems odd.

FatesFan said:
Bottom line is this. I understand that there are way to many band choices out there to make everyone happy at a festival that only happens once a year. Till now I have been very happy with 99.9% of the band choice that have been made. No I do not think it is unreasonable to have one or two bands with extreme vocals at PP. I understand that my opinion has no weight in what will ever happen at PP.
Let me just ask you this; into what genre would you put Orphaned Land?

Zod

Well wanna see Evergrey again or not it's their yera to play. The man himself stated tehy have a standing bi-year invitation, plus since they're like his favorite band AND he pays the bill you get Evergrey again barring some strange Twilight Zone stuff happening to prevent them from attending.

My other predictions (from what I remember in an earlier post)

Mercenary
Silent Force
Criss Caffery (Faces?)
Symphorce
Sonata Arctica
Nightwish
Evergrey
DGM (I've been picking them since I returned from III)

I always wanted to see Manticora since that PPIII promo cd and was suprised they haven't made it yet with the response they got just from listening to that promo and people snagging all 3 discs.

I was thinking Silent Force & Mercenary returns due to their new albums out, I still can't find Worlds Apart. Nightwish returns bcause Glenn said he wanted their Atlanta date for the next year after they played his fest. If so, then Sonata would be a given because everyone wants to see them and they're already over here w/ Nightwish. Criss & Symphorce because 1) It would probably bring the Mountain King back and 2) Brainstorm owned last year and Andy was well received and the whole place loved him & the band.

I think there's gonna be a big suprise that Glenn will floor everyone with. I know people are hoping for a Crimson Glory or Accept appearance, but could it be bigger than that? Like Accept or not, that would rule, as well as the CG.

Rob Rock & Kotipelto aren't out of the question either.

Truth is there's sooooooo many bands that are good and since the Harvester has such great taste in music my friends (Toobad71 included) and I will be there regardless. He will book one hellofa show.

zod
I couldn't disagree with you more. By its very definition, something can't be "progressive" if it doesn't move forward and change. To say that ProgMetal is bound to continue to produce DT and FW clones, seems odd.

I certainly do not want a bunch of clones of any band. Although I think Vanden Plas and Dreamscape are good bands, they do sound way to much like DT to me . I think Time Reqium is a good band...however there is kind of a Symph X sound there. Not enough to call a clone I don't think but enough for some to argue the fact.

I think that the word progessive in this case is being taken too literally. If you took a Death metal band (brujera) and added Jorn Lande(only singer) to it, would it still be a death metal band? No. I do understand your argument about the very definition of the word, and to a point I agree with you.
If a band came out that had a prog like musical sound but had hip hop vocals and scratching and all that, would you feel comfortable calling that prog and would you want to see that at PP?

ZOD
Let me just ask you this; into what genre would you put Orphaned Land?

I am not going to pretend that I know much about Orphaned Land. They are defined on their web site as the following.

Orphaned Land is the foremost Oriental Doom Death band.

I don't know.......does not sound like prog to me.

Yngvai X said:
If you honestly think Children of Bodom sounds like Symphony X with death vocals you seriously need your ears examined :p.

i second that

plus, to add onto the argument earlier, i don't really consider CoB to be using 'death vocals,' mainly because i like it =D :headbang:

Orphaned Land website said:

Wow, they should update that definition. I can see that applying to "The Beloved's Cry," but I would consider "Mabool" (their latest release) to be progressive metal more than anything else. I really recommend you listen to "Mabool" if possible. There are a lot of clean vocals, and the death vox are used for emphasis in the storyline.

Guess it really doesn't matter who's playing anyway does it? Glenn picks and we go- haven't been disappointed yet. And if there DOES happen to be a band I'm not fond of, there's always the bar....

FatesFan said:
I am not going to pretend that I know much about Orphaned Land. They are defined on their web site as the following.

I don't know.......does not sound like prog to me.
Their sound use to be more Doom/death oriented. However, now they are more of a Prog band (in the tuest sense of the word) that uses the occasional Death vocal. You should give them a whirl.

Another question, in your opinion, did Into Eternity belong last year?

Zod

Petethedrummer said:
i second that

plus, to add onto the argument earlier, i don't really consider CoB to be using 'death vocals,' mainly because i like it =D :headbang:

Love this band, i would shit my pants if they were playing prog power. I got the chance to see them live on the last tour, and they mentioned that they will not be coming back to the states for awhile...........damnit...............The set they played at last years NEW ENGLAND METAL AND HARDCORE FESTIVAL was insane to say the least.....and yes they played longer than 45min. they were one of the headlining acts for the night........ :headbang:

Hmmm. I have been talking to some friends about who would be cool to see. I bring a different friend each year to this thing to introduce them to what real shows are about. After playing my next guest 100's of bands...Here is who we would like and think would come.
IN no particular order.

Helloween..I havent seen them and ive went 3 of last 4 years...missed a year.They are due to come
Jorn or Masterplan. New album plus his solo is ridiculous good.
Nightwish...Once is fantastic and may get them at the end of their wits on this disc.
Circle to Circle. New disc. plus last time was fantastic.
Kamelot...although they were there last year...was kinda flat compared to year before..but with new disc,,brings new life.
I would crap my pants if Paradise lost could come..not really prog...but Symbol of life was amazing.
Twilightening. spelling off i think. Great first disc, new one coming out..From what I can remember, produced by andy larouqe...Same dude had a hand in early everygrey stuff.
Most of the early bands in the 2 days are brand new to me..so i wont even guess on those. All I can say last year dreamscape was really good.

Where is the big Dan...Mr. Swano...Like to see Nightingale again too.

Just no more Symp X..Never liked them to start with..ok shoot me dead..
Heck, I could watch Tad Morose for two days....That show was fantastic..And Mr Oliva...Surgery scheduled for next week to remove that smile off my face.
Hope everyone had a great holiday season.