Symphorce
Mercenary
Pagans Mind
Jag Panzer
Angel Dust
Sonata Arctica
Evergrey
Accept

Might be a little expensive but who knows???

General Zod said:
Their sound use to be more Doom/death oriented. However, now they are more of a Prog band (in the tuest sense of the word) that uses the occasional Death vocal. You should give them a whirl.

Another question, in your opinion, did Into Eternity belong last year?

Zod

I suppose it is not fair for me to say that they did not belong. However, if I had it my way, they would not have been there.

A final note on the whole death vocals thing. I have another issue with these types of vocals/bands that goes beyond the voices. It seems to me that most death vocals are associated with evil/dark lyrics. I understand that it would be hard to growl about something nice and fluffy. Hence let's growl about death, doom, the devil.....helll..hell...helll...burn..burn..burn.

I did the evil thing back in the 80' s with Venom and Slayer and King Diamond and such.(I still think musically it dosen't get much better than King Dimonds "Them" album). I don't want my music to be all doom and gloom. I am in no way saying that this discounts these topics from prog or power bands. It just happens to be more of a personal thing than a genre thing. There is enough doom and gloom in life without hearing it in my music. I don't mind a liitle bit of it. As unpopular as it may be, I am a christian and I just don't need a bunch of hell fire and damnation in my music. I don't find most of the christian metal band that interesting and I don't need some happy clappy music either. So there is the othr side of the death vocals thing.

I did go to the Orphaned Land web site and viewed some of there lyrics and they seemed to fall into the whole doom and gloom area. I'm not going to say I looked real well. Let me know if you think I am wrong.

I said it before. In the new Ayreon album there are growlers. I think it works in this album because it serves a purpose. These singers are playing extreme rolls and it is kept to a minimum and it wasn't about hell. I would be open to something like that.

FatesFan said:
I did go to the Orphaned Land web site and viewed some of there lyrics and they seemed to fall into the whole doom and gloom area. I'm not going to say I looked real well. Let me know if you think I am wrong.
Orphaned Land's - Mabool, is a concept album about the ark and flood described in various religious scriptures. The deathy vocals seem to be used mainly when describing God's wrath and stuff like that. It's a really cool disc. You ought to give it a spin. It might just be up your alley.

Yngvai X said:
I don't understand the idea of booking Bodom...number one, they're becoming pretty popular here...number two, they're neither prog nor power...they're thrash metal if anything.

Agreed. They can definitely carry their own weight now.

FatesFan said:
I suppose it is not fair for me to say that they did not belong. However, if I had it my way, they would not have been there.

A final note on the whole death vocals thing. I have another issue with these types of vocals/bands that goes beyond the voices. It seems to me that most death vocals are associated with evil/dark lyrics. I understand that it would be hard to growl about something nice and fluffy. Hence let's growl about death, doom, the devil.....helll..hell...helll...burn..burn..burn.

I did the evil thing back in the 80' s with Venom and Slayer and King Diamond and such.(I still think musically it dosen't get much better than King Dimonds "Them" album). I don't want my music to be all doom and gloom. I am in no way saying that this discounts these topics from prog or power bands. It just happens to be more of a personal thing than a genre thing. There is enough doom and gloom in life without hearing it in my music. I don't mind a liitle bit of it. As unpopular as it may be, I am a christian and I just don't need a bunch of hell fire and damnation in my music. I don't find most of the christian metal band that interesting and I don't need some happy clappy music either. So there is the othr side of the death vocals thing.

I said it before. In the new Ayreon album there are growlers. I think it works in this album because it serves a purpose. These singers are playing extreme rolls and it is kept to a minimum and it wasn't about hell. I would be open to something like that.

:OMG: Have you ever heard of SHADOWS FALL,KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, HATEBREED, even CANDIRIA........they all send good messages in there growling, its not all about doom and the devil.....

DONT BE SO IGNORANT!!!!!

OK.... Here's my 2 cents.... someone said that progressive is constantly changing (or there abouts)..... this is a true statement.... music with extreme vocals can be progressive (even though I dont care for death vox).... to pigeonhole progressive metal (music) into a particular frame is detrimental to the very definition of "progressive".... havin said that.... BRING IT ON GLENN!!!! be it extreme vox or standard, i belive PP6 is gonna kick ass!!!! \m/

I respect your personal opinion, FatesFan, and for admitting that your dislike of bands that utilize death/extreme vocals is based as much on lyrical content as anything. We all have our tastes, and if you don't like the style, that's a personal decision. I tend to listen to a lot of atmospheric, gloomy bands - its just how I am wired. But if you prefer the more uptempo, triumphant sounding bands, more power to you. Sometimes I want to hear music that makes me feel as if I can take on the world and win.

But, as was mentioned by LocalX, not all bands that utilize that style are trying to be eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ville.

Thankfully.

If you come from a Judeo-Christian belief system, FatesFan, I doubly recommend "Mabool." There is a very positive message underlying the album, as well as the band overall.

Technically Tourniquet could get away playing at PP, they're diverse as anyone, great progressive sounding thrash, although they are a Christian band. I'll put up their 3 albums "Stop the Bleeding", "Psycho Surgery" and "Pathogenic Ocular Dissonance" and they will easilty comete with any of the "havy hitting" thrash metal bands. They've gotten more and more progressive with each album but never really lost their edge. But the first album had very high soaring vocals and the rest didn't. When I first heard "the Test for Leprosy" my jaw hit the floor, and I said "THIS is a Christian band? They dont' sound like Stryper" LOL

FatesFan said:

Once you drift into Black Metal, that certainly tends to be more often true. However, many bands, that use harsher vocals, do not write lyrics in praise of Satan.

Zod

Why is it that people associate dark lyrics with being "evil" ... ? I don't understand this. There are plenty of bands that have dark lyrics that take no interest in Satanism, Occultism, etc. Just look at Extol, they are a Christian extreme metal band with many positive lyrics. I can enjoy them and I'm not even Christian.

As for the issue concerning black metal, it's often said to have lyrics of "the devil" and such. This may be true with mainstream "black metal" bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth, but when you look into plenty of other black metal bands, you will find this to be false.

LOCALX said:
:OMG: Have you ever heard of SHADOWS FALL,KILLSWITCH ENGAGE, HATEBREED, even CANDIRIA........they all send good messages in there growling, its not all about doom and the devil.....

DONT BE SO IGNORANT!!!!!

I have heard of SHADOWS FALL,KILLSWITCH ENGAGE and HATEBREED. Although I am not familiar with their music. I don't believe that these are prog/power type bands and are more American New Metal type bands. I was not talking about these tyes of bands in general due to the fact that this is a prog/power forum.

Also I Guess I should appologize to you for making you so angry. In two days you have told me to F-OFF and you called me ignorant. I hope the rest of your week goes better.

Ruthven said:
I respect your personal opinion, FatesFan, and for admitting that your dislike of bands that utilize death/extreme vocals is based as much on lyrical content as anything. We all have our tastes, and if you don't like the style, that's a personal decision. I tend to listen to a lot of atmospheric, gloomy bands - its just how I am wired. But if you prefer the more uptempo, triumphant sounding bands, more power to you. Sometimes I want to hear music that makes me feel as if I can take on the world and win.

But, as was mentioned by LocalX, not all bands that utilize that style are trying to be eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-ville.

Thankfully.

If you come from a Judeo-Christian belief system, FatesFan, I doubly recommend "Mabool." There is a very positive message underlying the album, as well as the band overall.

Thanks for the kind words and recomendation. I am going to look into this band a bit more deeply.

General Zod said:
Once you drift into Black Metal, that certainly tends to be more often true. However, many bands, that use harsher vocals, do not write lyrics in praise of Satan.

Zod

That's good to know. I don’t necessarily need my music to deliver me a positive message from every song or concept. I like it every now and then but don’t need it all the time. To be honest I wish many of these prog/power bands would stay away from the whole subject of heaven or hell. If even just for a little bit. There has got to more to sing about. I like concept albums ala Metropolis, The Human Equation, Dust to Dust( a cool concept album about vampires), Pleasant shade of gray, Avantasia …etc. The concept that you all are talking about from Mabool does sound interesting.

General, I was wondering what your take is on the “Evil Masquerade” album. I thing musically and vocally it is a brilliant album. It is, as I understand a concept album about nightmares. I have not read the lyrics and was wondering what your take on them was.

Also, I would like your input (and anyone’s for that matter) on what you think Edguy’s “King of Fools” is about.

Oakenson said:
Just look at Extol, they are a Christian extreme metal band with many positive lyrics. I can enjoy them and I'm not even Christian.

Or Virgin Black, for that matter.

This may be true with mainstream "black metal" bands like Dimmu Borgir and Cradle Of Filth, but when you look into plenty of other black metal bands, you will find this to be false.

After seeing Cradle of Filth and meeting them, I don't think anyone is supposed to take the content of their lyrics seriously. To me, CoF is a musical version of Corman's "Mask of the Red Death," with Dani playing the Vincent Price role.

But you are right - I've noticed that with most of the "true" black metal bands, the lyrical content is not so much "satanic" as it is "anti-Christian." Not of course, that that is much better to Christians :)

Derek

I think Oakenson mentioned Vintersorg. That is not only positive lyrics but highly intelligent lyrics with an emphasis on clean vocals but with some extreme vocals. And his last two albums were extremely progressive but not in the classic progmetal sense. I suggest that band to any prog/power metal fan.

You're definitely right Mjollnir about Vintersorg. I actually like all of Vintersorg's work.

Many black metal bands stick with Pagan lyrics, such as some Burzum, Wyrd, some Graveland ... which is the lyrical content I prefer in music as I'm Pagan.

Yeah, Virgin Black is another good Christian band, even though they're not nearly as intense as Extol.

FatesFan said:
Also, I would like your input (and anyone’s for that matter) on what you think Edguy’s “King of Fools” is about.

The herdlike mentality of people who blindly follow and lead others. I don't think it is any more elaborate than that.

Ruthven said:
The herdlike mentality of people who blindly follow and lead others. I don't think it is any more elaborate than that.

What do yout think Toby is saying here:

And I prefer to stay behind
And walk the wicked way

I think he's being sarcastic. A lot of Tobias' lyrics are about how people blindly follow organized religious leaders, and they think that those who don't are "evil" and "wicked".