The Official Sat. Headliner Suggest Thread

Alright, I believe Glenn said he went after Masterplan and it wasn't happening. That would've been my first choice.

-Symphony X (I can't say I'd enjoy it, but it's realistic. A bit of a regression)
-Sonata Arctica (big tour wrapping up, but it was a good one. I'd accept it)
-Blind Guardian (depends on a bunch of things. Would be hard to nail down before ticket sale date. Would be awesome though.)
-Gamma Ray (fairly limited tour. I'd like it.)
-Rhapsody (although didn't Glenn say it was too much money?)
-Kamelot (new album since last PP. I'd like it, and I can keep bugging Khan)
-Dragonforce (headliner status questionable. I guess not happening)
-Iced Earth, even without Barlow. I liked seeing them, it was fun. Seems like good drawing power.

I don't think Vanden Plas is headliner material.

Symphony X is probably the safest bet. They're stateside, they have a new album on the way...

I'd love to see Vanden Plas again, also with a new album on the way.

I'm a Pain of Salvation fanboy, so that'd rock too, although an audience clear-out before their set would be likely as in the BG/PoS instance :(. Also, I don't know whether that fingerprinting thing is still going on.

Unca Kev said:
Redemption - After the "Fullness of Time" they definitely deserve it!
Symphony X - They definitely deserve it as well, and hopefully they'll have the new album out by then.
Dreamscape - This would make 3 years in a row, so I wouldn't expect it, but they will have a new album out by then.
Pagan's Mind
Threshold
Kamelot
Conception - 2nd Reunion!!!

Glenn isn't doing any bumping. Dreamscape, PM and Threshold are NOT headliner material. Not knocking the talent though.

Greykiller said:
I would not go nuts for either of them...VP is good don't get me wrong but as a headliner?

I can envision lots of other bands first:
DT (see my other thread concerning that: http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4524647#post4524647
Symph X
Pagan's Mind (A big FUCKYOU to all the PM second guessers who think they should not headline the show)
Threshold
...there are a few more but with my limited knowledge of what is huge in prog and what is not, it makes no sense to throw them out.

Apparently your knowledge is beyond limited if you would question VP as a headliner yet think for a split second PM could possibly headline. :Spin: :confused:

Okay, so Dream Theater is financially out of the question. So, why not try and get OSI? They have a new album coming out and I'm sure people wouldn't mind seeing Portnoy, Matheos, and Moore all on the stage together at the same time. :worship:

Running Wild. ;)

That's tough... I sorta like the Symphony X suggestion.

Helloween is headliner material, but their latest is a major disappointment for me.

Alas, most of the rest of the stuff I would love to see is not really headliner material. Devin Townsend, Freedom Call, Stream of Passion, Threshold, Subway To Sally...

Oh, I think Devy would be a GREAT headliner. Totally forgot about him, and Synchestra just came out, so he could showcase the hell out of it. :hotjump:

Megawozniak said:
Glenn isn't doing any bumping. Dreamscape, PM and Threshold are NOT headliner material. Not knocking the talent though.
I know that some or many wouldn't consider them to be headliner worthy/or established enough. But, I gotta throw those names out there, as well, just in case the others can't make it.

Some people may be disappointed by the departure of Nevermore, but others may see it as an opportunity to gain a band even cooler and more exciting to watch. My dream suggestions, in order:

1. Within Temptation

2. Rhapsody

3. Hammerfall

4. Therion

5. Symphony X

6. Kamelot

7. Gamma Ray

8. Threshold

9. Fates Warning

10. Yngwie

11. Dio

So many possibilities! Nevermore's replacement could be really, really cool -- and likely will be since Glenn's doing the arranging. The man doesn't do anything half-assed. I can't wait to see which band he lands for the top spot on Saturday night! (Anyone but Devin. I've never been a big fan of his.)

Bill

Megawozniak said:
Dreamscape, PM and Threshold are NOT headliner material.

Agree with Dreamscape and Pagan's Mind, disagree about Threshold. At least relatively, as compared to the rest of the roster this year. It's not like PP III when we also had Angra, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Edguy.

Consider that the # 4 slot on Saturday night is held by a band with only two full length CDs under their belt. Threshold are veterans, who have been around for over a decade, with seven full length studio CDs. Granted, the bequeathing of this elusive "headliner" tag is based on more than simply counting CDs, but the combination of longevity, skill, name recognition, and proven ability to give an excellent performance would, in my mind, put Threshold at the top of Saturday nights line up.

So there. :)