Let's review previous statements...

The thing is though - the Rage effect had as much to do with Evergrey's impromptu meet 'n greet session as it did with peoples' unfamiliarity with the band and their vast catalogue.

Yep, I'd have been in there watching Rage -- at the very least, checking out a few songs, but I'd have probably stuck around -- except that I wanted to say hi to my Evergrey budz, and that year, their schedule made them a bit scarce.

I was not going to post in this thread. However, certain actions over the last few days has me on the brink. So, I am going to let it out.

If I offend anyone, I apologize beforehand.

I am seeing a lot of posts on this thread saying that "This lineup sucks!" and "This ain't gonna sell!" and "yada, yada, yada". First off, I am no saint. I did it last year with Freak Kitchen. But, I think people are missing something far more serious. Something so serious that the very notion of ProgPower being a special event hangs in the balance.

The fact that Sonata Arctica has basically slapped Glenn and you in the face.

That's right. I said it. I said something that Glenn has too much class to say.

What Sonata did was so egregious that it could signal that ProgPower is just another stop on a USA tour to future acts. The fact of the matter is that Sonata has scheduled their tour AROUND ProgPower and not after, as was past practice. Now, I know what you will say: "But, maybe it makes their schedule easier." That is not the point. ProgPower is supposed to be a special event, not a backwater gin joint show. I saw acts like Nightwish, Stratovarius, Symphony X and other headline acts treat it like gold. Yet, Sonata treats it like a dishrag by scheduling shows in the "metal triangle" before the biggest event on the prog/power scene calendar. What they are doing is nothing short of a disgrace.

This is hard for me to say because I am a rabid Sonata fan. I have every one of their CD's including two Japanese imports. But, I just cannot get over this. At least Nevermore had the good sense to at least be upfront about what they were doing. Glenn practically got sandbagged by SA. Unless I misread Glenn's comments when he posted SA as the headliner, he was practically strongarmed by SA's management to make the announcement. If it was me, and remember, I am a rabid SA fan, I would have told them where to go. SA's actions are going to do more to bring down the numbers more than any of the other acts, as this lineup is a pretty strong one. The reason is that when headliners usually tour after PP, and you could not go to PP for some reason or another, you have that since of "What did I miss?" from fans in those stops. In this fashion, if you are an SA fan, It'll be "What will I really miss?". See the point? And, if they bring one of the opening acts with them, that question will surely be asked.

What many acts do not understand that by and large, the power/prog scene is still very much in its infancy here. While you might be able to get away with it with Wacken, Tuska, or the Download, it is much more difficult here. People like Glenn Harveston are the torch bearers of the movement here in the States, and they people like Glenn) know this. They know that the scene must be nurtured and DEFENDED. To have someone like SA being given the honor of headlining PP, and not understanding what it means to the scene in the US, is beyond the unbelievable. Which is why I have long said that the headliners in an event must not only be good, but those headliners must be able to APPRECIATE what it means to the scene here in the US.

Sadly, I cannot say that SA appreciates that fact.

Glenn, you do a fine job. It is also a thankless job. You get complaints from the peanut gallery, angry emails, temperamental artists and their managers, and just the overall pains in the ass things that one needs to do in order to make this event as memorable as possible. Though there have been times when I felt that you should have taken a different tack, I cannot say that you have ever failed to live up to you supporters expectations.

Thank you for all you do.

Peace,
Ray C.

I don't think it's that way at all. Sonata is now a US touring band, and it took a ton of balls for them to try. They started by getting on the Nightwish tour. After that was cancelled, they decided they'd strike out on their own. NO other power metal band save for Blind Guardian had tried that before. Every other band that toured the US toured in a package or as an opening act. Sonata said, "Screw it" and just toured the US like they owned the place.

So now, with the new album, they are going to tour again. Are they supposed to hold off on the tour until well after ProgPower?

It's not a slap in the face, it's just the reality of the current scene. It's grown in the US thanks to power and prog bands coming here more and metal labels doing more distribution in the US. So it's not easy for Glenn to book exclusive headliners anymore.

Ray,

Thanks for the passionate reply. I really do appreciate it. However, you should probably give Sonata a break. Honestly, not every band is that familar with ProgPower status (although they may know it is a show) so they cannot treat it as such. It's also a different situation for them as they have already toured the U.S. and cannot treat ProgPower as their debut.

The reality of the situation for Sonata and probably a few other bands in similar situations is that ProgPower will be a tour stop and be treated as such. I went public early to let people know that ProgPower was the first show they booked in the U.S for next year and that the rest of the tour was going to be built around my date. That is an honor and it does give me a bit of power when it comes to my selections.

I will always strive to make ProgPower special in terms of exclusives and one-offs. However, its really hard to do that with headliners now with the U.S. touring scene improving (yes, I believe ProgPower had something to do with that).

Thanks for the post though.

How about an Evening with Lance King and Friends or DC Cooper & Friends????

Why not, Lance has been a avid supporter of PP since he played with Balance of Power and between Avian, Pyramaze, Balance of Power, Shining Star and Empire he'd have plenty of quality material to choose from.

Then there's DC Cooper whose solo release totally kicked ass, plus he's got some fantastic matierial with Silent Force and Royal Hunt and he's a veteran of the Main Stage and the Preshow Party.

I think either would be solid choices.

I actually agree with Ray on this one. In every post of SA's tour dates for the upcoming tour with the Jaxx and NYC announcements it neglects to mention PP in the list of dates. I thought that would cheese Glenn off, but when I came to the thread the day the dates were posted Glenn had already posted about it and didnt seem pissed.

I guess my point is why announce their headlining status early if when thr tour dates get posted PP just kind of falls through the cracks so to speak.

If anyone thinks I am off base here let me know, especially our fearless leader lol.

I really respect the fact that you are voting with your pocketbook. Please make sure everyone who thinks like you also stays away from Atl next October. I happen to love the lineup, and am happy that at least six jerks will not be there who think that the lineup sucks.

Oh and please let us know if you have made hotel reservations so true fans can get the rooms.

I like that you think that I am a jerk for expressing an opinion respectfully. I guess maybe you can only say that you love every band. Next time I will do so that the promoter can think that every move that is made is perfect. I completely missunderstood the purpose of this messageboard. I now know it is for slapping people on the backs, wishing and guessing for the next band, and telling others (not talking about) the newest CD you just bought.

Oh and If i (and my buds) am a jerk, does that make you a moron?

While that would be FAN FUCKING TASTIC... I have very little hope of this coming to fruition.
I had no idea Elvenking was so popular. It seems like I'm seeing them mentioned in about every thread these days. Either a couple of you fans are pretty loud about your love of Elvenking, or they have struck a nerve with a faction of the prog power fan base. I've also heard there name mentioned a lot over at Powerfest's forum. Now I need to go download something and see what all this fuss is about.

Britt

Sounds like Glenn finally did it with those hints
yes
Glenn is in the process of booking Jimmy Buffet

I speculate this is either Brainstorm,or something that will completely blindside all of us

I swear....if it were Brainstorm I'd wet my pants. The intro riffs in
"Highs Without Lows" are the best I've heard in YEARS, and when I heard them do "The Leading" at PP I freaked and bought every CD right after they got off stage. Amazing band....

OK
maybe I'm reading way too much into this
create a headliner
could it be Glenn is trying to create(or recreate) a lineup,reunion of sorts
remember,we have a rumored on again off again Crimson Glory reunion,and seeing as its not confirmed,its that way becasue Midnight is a wild card in every sense(and seeing as they only have 2 CDs-even though most of Astronomica was supposed to be origionally on Strange and Beautiful?)
Maybe he's trying to get Kai Hanson and Kiske in the same room?
Maybe he's trying to get a Psycotic Walts reunion(that would certainly fall under the WTF category)
Maybe a Lethal reunion?
Just trying to think a bit out of the box

Man....I LOVE CG, especially Transcendence....but I think Midnight can't sing worth a crap any more. He sucked during kamelot's set when he guested, and the solo album is the only thing I've ever deleted off my iPod (out of 850 records). sounds like a 12 year old with a 4-track. Ugh....