PP V picture thread

jkohn said:
Thanks, glad you liked them. The Tad Morose and Kamelot pics are up now, should hopefully get the rest up in the next day or two.

http://www.pbase.com/jkohn/prog_power_5

Jeff
Great shots, among the best posted here and eclipsing mine. :)

What kind of camera were you using, what sort of exposure/settings, and where were you? Looks like right behind the audience in the lower seats....

I'm in the market for a new digital camera after mine eventually dies (or I decide to retire it, which I might do at the 8,000-photo mark), and yours looks like it gets good results. :headbang:

SavaHexe said:
some really awesome shots you all have there!! very cool :)

SinsandShadows, SavaRon and esa, I'd love to use some of your shots on the official Jon Oliva website, credits to you of course. Let me know if that is alright with you!

You can go ahead and use any of mine that you want.

SavaHexe said:
some really awesome shots you all have there!! very cool :)

SinsandShadows, SavaRon and esa, I'd love to use some of your shots on the official Jon Oliva website, credits to you of course. Let me know if that is alright with you!

I've got a handful of Olivia also if you would like them. Shoot me an email at info@nakedriderecordings.com and I'll scan them and send them over.

-MetalRose

The complete gallery will be up in a few days.

Working on it right now, for me this is the best one sofar :)

DSC_2960.jpg

Nice photo, Henk. I didn't run into you but from the angle of your photo I was standing right next to you during PoS' set. They were awesome this year.

Pellaz said:
Great shots, among the best posted here and eclipsing mine. :)

What kind of camera were you using, what sort of exposure/settings, and where were you? Looks like right behind the audience in the lower seats....

I'm in the market for a new digital camera after mine eventually dies (or I decide to retire it, which I might do at the 8,000-photo mark), and yours looks like it gets good results. :headbang:
Hi Pellaz,

Thanks for the kind words. I was using a Nikon D70. Exposure settings (in manual mode) were ISO1600, no flash, shutter in the 1/60-1/100 range and f-stop in the 2.0-2.8 range for the most part. The zoom lenses I have are far too slow to shoot in those lighting conditions, so I was switching between 28mm, 50mm, and 90mm prime lenses. For the most part we were on the floor towards the back, often just in front of the sound board or slightly to one side of it. We moved around quite a bit, and also spent a little time up in the stands for some bands.

I just got into photography within the last year, so even though this was my 3rd ProgPower it was the first time I ever tried to take pictures at a concert. I took a lot of shots, and almost none of them were as sharp as I would have liked, though some look OK after being downsized for web viewing. I think I still need to work on my hand-holding technique. It also might help to drink less beer, I was buzzing pretty good Friday night in particular which I don't think helped. Then again having fun and getting into the music is more important than getting perfect pictures, right? :D

jkohn said:
Hi Pellaz,

Thanks for the kind words. I was using a Nikon D70. Exposure settings (in manual mode) were ISO1600, no flash, shutter in the 1/60-1/100 range and f-stop in the 2.0-2.8 range for the most part. The zoom lenses I have are far too slow to shoot in those lighting conditions, so I was switching between 28mm, 50mm, and 90mm prime lenses. For the most part we were on the floor towards the back, often just in front of the sound board or slightly to one side of it. We moved around quite a bit, and also spent a little time up in the stands for some bands.

I just got into photography within the last year, so even though this was my 3rd ProgPower it was the first time I ever tried to take pictures at a concert. I took a lot of shots, and almost none of them were as sharp as I would have liked, though some look OK after being downsized for web viewing. I think I still need to work on my hand-holding technique. It also might help to drink less beer, I was buzzing pretty good Friday night in particular which I don't think helped. Then again having fun and getting into the music is more important than getting perfect pictures, right? :D
Almost the same story here, also used the Nikon D70, mainly with the 50mm 1.8 lens. The zoom i brought with me had an aperture of 5.6 and up - way too small for the set of light on stage. Next year i'll need a 70-300 2.8 zoom :) Also a little more spotlights in front of the stage would help a lot...and much less red lights please! :)

From the 500 shots i took i can use about 150 of 'm and some turned out to be really nice.

Almost the same story here, also used the Nikon D70, mainly with the 50mm 1.8 lens. The zoom i brought with me had an aperture of 5.6 and up - way too small for the set of light on stage. Next year i'll need a 70-300 2.8 zoom Also a little more spotlights in front of the stage would help a lot...and much less red lights please!
Yeah, after this year I'm really lusting for that Nikkor 70-200 VR. :) I definitely agree about the red lights, I'm actually thinking I might try to do some B/W conversions of some of the shots because the red/pink is some over-powering. Seems like the green/purple/white lights were the most camera-friendly, Brainstorm and PoS in particular had really good lighting. Kamelot's was also good although quite a bit of red.

BTW I really like your PoS shot above.

Jeff

SavaHexe said:
Thank you :)
PM me your name for the credits.........
Sorry about the late reply, you can use my pictures as well. If you would like them in larger resolution, they were taken in 1200x1600, so just let me know. I'll PM you my name.