PP V picture thread

bassbitch said:
Greets, all,

At long last I've updated my photo gallery to include my adventures at ProgPower V. There aren't any band shots, cos my little camera sux at taking live performance photos, but there are some pix of some folks I met there and adventures had. Venture if you dare:

http://mel.raven-mad.com/gallery/2004/ppv04-09-171819.html
I like the 'people pictures' better anyway... :)

And this may be un-metal of me, but what cute cats! Many people have told me I will one day be a crazy cat lady... perhaps we can split duties. ;)

ThXinc said:
MetalRose...can you email me at dtnick66@hotmail.com. You took a pic that I would like to add to my album. Remember the one that Jaxita took of us>>??\m/ or just post it...unless it sucks of course. ;)

Sorry dude, I just saw this. I've got the images at home on a disk. I'll post them and then you can just steal it from here! :)

-MetalRose

lady_space said:
I like the 'people pictures' better anyway... :)

And this may be un-metal of me, but what cute cats! Many people have told me I will one day be a crazy cat lady... perhaps we can split duties. ;)

Thanks for the compliments on cats! I'm still aspiring, as I only have 3 cats right now, and I haven't quite found the cash to shell out for a 1972 Ford LTD station wagon, powder blue, wood panels, vinyl seats held together with duct tape, litter box in the back, and a gas tank that requires lead additive. Ahhhhh... my dream ride... some day...

lady_space said:
Well, I guess we *all* know what the mangina is now... thanks. :yuk: lol
Your welcome!!! :tickled: Thanks to Bear for his excellent photo skills! Don't forget my imitation of all the Gentle Giant album covers (a.k.a. the ahmish imitation)

that mangina is quite vile... isn't it? I can't believe I was being made to do that on demand by perfect strangers.... :p Needless to say, my wife was less than impressed after the first few times I performed the act. o_O

Looking back, embarrasment is an understatement on how I feel about performing that feat! :Spin:

\m/
Dustin

Here is a pix of Tad Morose live. I added a border, some text and cropped it, but everything else is original.

redtad.jpg

bryant

My friend Archie has GRACIOUSLY made me a photo gallery for as many albums and photos as I want. I have now uploaded ALL of the IE pics... Digital, Color print and Black/White print pics as well as offstage. Some pics are shitty, some aren't. Unfortunately, my boys were also my guinea pigs at testing how the lighting was. :( Let me know if there are any problems viewing them. You can click on a pic and make it larger as well. Here ya go:

http://www.disaffect.com/squeak/gallery/albums.php

Of course it will take me a while to post pics of the other bands, but hey, gimme a break... Slow modems suck! Also, this is cross posted on four forums, so don't get mad if you see it more than once. ;)

Could all the photogs who were using digital cameras (excepting jkohn, who already answered this query earlier) please post what model camera you used at PPUSA V and what special settings you used? As I indicated earlier, I'm pricing a new digital camera and what better way to check out the quality than that? :)

Minolta A1 (which has been superceded by the Konica-Minolta A2 and A200).

Great "prosumer" camera with fantastic ergonomics and features (including image stabilization), but I can't recommend it for concert photography because of severe sensor noise at high ISO. After PP5, I too am a Nikon D70 owner. See also Canon 20D for even better high-ISO sensor performance (but at a higher price with other tradeoffs and limitations.)

Paul,

I also have a Nikon D70 like you may have read before.

If you are going to use the camera for indoor (concert) photography then you can forget almost all digital compact camera's. For shooting pics at concertes and festivals indoor you need to have manual control over the camera and a lens with a decent aperture. (lenses with an aperture of 5.6 are useless most of the time).

you can either set the camera to "A" setting or "M" setting as long as the shutter speed isn't lower than 1/60 you should'nt get blurry pics.
(A=Aperture, M=Manual)

I shot most of the times in 1600iso, with the low noise the D70 has this is a good option for me, especially with my current zoomlens.

Besides a good camera and 'eye' for a decent shot, also a good spot is very important. Arms, heads and microphones are the most annoying parts of a picture but is unavoidable if you're standing in the middle of the crowd.

My PP europe pictures turned out much better than the ones i shot at PP usa. Mostly because i could come up to the stage as close as possible and there wasn't even a photopit like there was one at Earthlink.

If you decide on a digital SLR, it's not only the camera you have to buy, but also some extra lenses and a decent flash. A large investment, so stick to a compact camera if you only use it for some holiday or occasional concert shot.

Mail me if you need more detailed info.

Henk

Another addition to BEC's ProgPower photo gallery was made this weekend. Check out Jon Oliva and the rest of the guys here. A couple of my favorites below:

pp04weap6des1.jpg

pp04weap21des1.jpg

Also added were some backstage shots and some of the fans. Check it out
and see of you can find yourself. I love this one. Looks like Father Jon is giving absolution to Peter of Tad Morose. "Bless me Father......":worship:

pp04jon1peter1.jpg

I used a konica/minolta g500 compact digital camera. This camera takes pretty good pics for a compact. Most of the good shots come from not using the zoom at all. I got this camera because of its size as well as its features. I can slip it into my front pocket and not have to lug around a bulky camera. Plus I got it pretty cheap for a 5 megapixel camera with the battery, charger, and 16mb card. :)

jkohn said:
Yeah, after this year I'm really lusting for that Nikkor 70-200 VR.
Was looking for that one too, but just a bit above budget, finally got the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 D today. The first gig to give it a try is next week during the NoVact CD release party, can't wait for the next Festival tho (probably Headway) since most of the venues won't allow camera's during regular gigs like mine, unless you're working for a magazine or so.

Henk