"Black" Metal

I could be wrong, but I believe Cypher Seer has a black member (They were in Glenn's Top 50)

Also, virtually unknown to many, the first all black heavy metal band in the US that played in the '80's Black Death:

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, Tosin Abasi from the now-defunct metalcore band Reflux. Incredible guitarist.

you realize he is now in ANIMALS AS LEADERS right who are getting pretty huge. great stuff.

so yeah, add ANIMALS AS LEADERS to the list.

glad to see SOUND BARRIER getting some love on here and if you want to include by default MASI's "Fire In The Rain" line-up which was 1/2 of Sound Barrier or maybe 3/4 i cannot remember.

hoping to eventually reissue the SB stuff officially.

Thanks for the recommendations guys! I knew I was brainfarting on some of the artists like Tony MacAlpine (Still have his instructional video on VHS), Greg Howe, and Skindred. Btw, whomever it was that recommended Tetrarch, I have featured them too, I just missed them in my big list of bands.

This has to be the most helpful metal forum I have ever visited. Thanks a million. :)

Ja

Rei

P.S. Tosin Abasi now plays in Animals as Leaders. ^_^ Those guys are MONSTER players. I saw them at SXSW last year.

I could be wrong, but I believe Cypher Seer has a black member (They were in Glenn's Top 50)

Also, virtually unknown to many, the first all black heavy metal band in the US that played in the '80's Black Death:

Auburn records has been plaining to re-issue this for years now. I know someone who could have had it done by now:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sound Barrier are actually pretty damn good.
Planet X appeals to the metal people. Their is the doom band Iron Man. And Hirax (one of the all time most unrated thrash bands)... well maybe not in South America.

The essay is "I'm not strange: Black people in Rock Music" (title pending).

Basically the purpose of the essay is to talk about Black people's contribution to rock music throughout history, particularly focusing on modern days (post-1980).

Basically it started after I watched the documentaries Electric Purgatory and Afro Punk, and my own personal experiences when listening to metal in the 80s. What I am trying to impart is that, it should not be strange when I go to metal concerts, just like it isn't strange when white people go to rap concerts. I get it from both white and black people. White people tend to treat me as a curiosity, and they question my "metal-ness" (I will say, it is lessened with the Progpower crowd, however I was the belle of the ball when I wore my "I ♥ black metal" T-shirt and everyone wanted to take a pic with me. While I didn't mind so much, it did leave me feeling a bit strange about the whole episode) , whereas with black folk I am "acting white" (whatever the fuck that means) or I am Satanic :Smokedev:.

The reason I asked for metal bands with black people in them, is to show that we've been doing it for decades, more of us are doing it now (I have friends that will listen to Kanye West, and then turn around and listen to Opeth back to back) and we're being successful at it (KSE, God forbid, Living Colour in the 80s, etc)

I'm just trying to blur the lines as to "White people do this... Black people do that".

Clear as mud?

Ja

Rei

Can't believe nobody mentioned Rage Against the Machine! Also this current incarnation of Alice In Chains.

The essay is "I'm not strange: Black people in Rock Music" (title pending).

Basically the purpose of the essay is to talk about Black people's contribution to rock music throughout history, particularly focusing on modern days (post-1980).

Basically it started after I watched the documentaries Electric Purgatory and Afro Punk, and my own personal experiences when listening to metal in the 80s. What I am trying to impart is that, it should not be strange when I go to metal concerts, just like it isn't strange when white people go to rap concerts. I get it from both white and black people. White people tend to treat me as a curiosity, and they question my "metal-ness" (I will say, it is lessened with the Progpower crowd, however I was the belle of the ball when I wore my "I ♥ black metal" T-shirt and everyone wanted to take a pic with me. While I didn't mind so much, it did leave me feeling a bit strange about the whole episode) , whereas with black folk I am "acting white" (whatever the fuck that means) or I am Satanic :Smokedev:.

The reason I asked for metal bands with black people in them, is to show that we've been doing it for decades, more of us are doing it now (I have friends that will listen to Kanye West, and then turn around and listen to Opeth back to back) and we're being successful at it (KSE, God forbid, Living Colour in the 80s, etc)

I'm just trying to blur the lines as to "White people do this... Black people do that".

Clear as mud?

Ja

Rei

It is still an odd occurance to see a black guy at most metal shows, just always been that way it seems.
When I was younger we had one black guy around who was into metal, he's name was Derrick and he always wore a Kreator hat all the time. And the guy knew a lot about the must obscure thrash bands in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember he was really into Kinetic Descent, while he is from Atlanta. We all referred to every band that we did not know or listen to as "Derrick bands" because sure enough he would know them.
Looking back at all the shows we went to like Nuclear Assault, Godflesh, Nocturnus, Cinfessor, etc it seems like he was always the only black guy there. But this did not matter we were all the same.