"Black" Metal

It is still an odd occurance to see a black guy at most metal shows, just always been that way it seems.
When I was younger we had one black guy around who was into metal, he's name was Derrick and he always wore a Kreator hat all the time. And the guy knew a lot about the must obscure thrash bands in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember he was really into Kinetic Descent, while he is from Atlanta. We all referred to every band that we did not know or listen to as "Derrick bands" because sure enough he would know them.
Looking back at all the shows we went to like Nuclear Assault, Godflesh, Nocturnus, Cinfessor, etc it seems like he was always the only black guy there. But this did not matter we were all the same.

Yeah, it may be but I guess what I am trying to point out is that it shouldn't be because there are a lot of us who like metal. The aforementioned Kanye/Opeth fan doesn't go to metal shows for the "odd looks" he receives at shows. Once again, I have always encouraged black folks to go to ProgPower because the crowd is very friendly :kickass:. That said when I go to some black metal shows I can "feel" eyes on me, and my nerves get on edge. I mean I listened to Burzum, even after I found out that Varg was a Neo-Nazi. I just like the music but I hate having to do "research" if I want to go to a show where black metal is being played, to know whether or not I will have an altercation there. Mind you I'm 6'0" 260lb with black belts in a couple of martial arts, so if you're going to take me out it'll be a struggle but I'd rather not have to do that.

I guess here in Texas I was "Derrick". I was into obscure bands as well (Well they were obscure before they got popular). I *LOVED* Kreator as well, and my T-shirt got destroyed by time. The other bands I was into were Death, The Accused, Sodom, Bathory, Celtic Frost, Morbid Angel, Suffocation :kickass:, Venom, Emperor, etc. while most of my friends were just into "The Big 4". Nowadays, when I go to concerts I see pretty much the same 12 +/- 3 black guys/girls (I'm starting to see more girls) at shows. One of the more common phrases I hear nowadays is "Hey, didn't I see you at <insert name of concert>?"

One other hopeful side-effect of this "black" metal project is to show just how awesome metal is. Let's be honest, when you're having a shitty day doesn't metal help you burn off that frustration? When you're having a great day, doesn't metal enhance it? When you're having a "meh" day, doesn't metal just kick you in the ass and wake you the hell up? What I am saying is this

LIFE GOES BETTER WITH METAL!

Ja

Rei

The essay is "I'm not strange: Black people in Rock Music" (title pending).
Thanks for the response... and cool title.

What I am trying to impart is that, it should not be strange when I go to metal concerts, just like it isn't strange when white people go to rap concerts.
I get where you're coming from, but I'm not sure the two or analogous. The popularity of Rap seems to have been fueled by its appeal to white youth.

White people tend to treat me as a curiosity, and they question my "metal-ness" (I will say, it is lessened with the Progpower crowd, however I was the belle of the ball when I wore my "I &#9829; black metal" T-shirt and everyone wanted to take a pic with me. While I didn't mind so much, it did leave me feeling a bit strange about the whole episode)...
Yeah... that's pretty odd behavior. It sounds like you took it in the spirit with which it was intended, but yeah... that's a bit odd.

...whereas with black folk I am "acting white" (whatever the fuck that means) or I am Satanic.
That's interesting. You often hear about white guys taking crap for "acting black", but I have to admit, I've never stopped and considered the reverse.

That said when I go to some black metal shows I can "feel" eyes on me, and my nerves get on edge. I mean I listened to Burzum, even after I found out that Varg was a Neo-Nazi. I just like the music but I hate having to do "research" if I want to go to a show where black metal is being played, to know whether or not I will have an altercation there.
That's sad, but not hardly surprising. Black Metal seems to attract a significant number of assholes. Again, not altogether surprising, given that the roots of the genre were seeded by assholes.

One other hopeful side-effect of this "black" metal project is to show just how awesome metal is. Let's be honest, when you're having a shitty day doesn't metal help you burn off that frustration? When you're having a great day, doesn't metal enhance it? When you're having a "meh" day, doesn't metal just kick you in the ass and wake you the hell up? What I am saying is this.
Good luck with your project. Post a link to the paper (if you don't mind) when you're done.

Greg

The essay is "I'm not strange: Black people in Rock Music" (title pending).

Basically the purpose of the essay is to talk about Black people's contribution to rock music throughout history, particularly focusing on modern days (post-1980).

Basically it started after I watched the documentaries Electric Purgatory and Afro Punk, and my own personal experiences when listening to metal in the 80s. What I am trying to impart is that, it should not be strange when I go to metal concerts, just like it isn't strange when white people go to rap concerts. I get it from both white and black people. White people tend to treat me as a curiosity, and they question my "metal-ness" (I will say, it is lessened with the Progpower crowd, however I was the belle of the ball when I wore my "I &#9829; black metal" T-shirt and everyone wanted to take a pic with me. While I didn't mind so much, it did leave me feeling a bit strange about the whole episode) , whereas with black folk I am "acting white" (whatever the fuck that means) or I am Satanic :Smokedev:.

The reason I asked for metal bands with black people in them, is to show that we've been doing it for decades, more of us are doing it now (I have friends that will listen to Kanye West, and then turn around and listen to Opeth back to back) and we're being successful at it (KSE, God forbid, Living Colour in the 80s, etc)

I'm just trying to blur the lines as to "White people do this... Black people do that".

Clear as mud?

Ja

Rei

Anyone who questions your "metalness" didn't see you in the pit during Forbidden. :headbang:

My buddy Joe is in a band called Brohammer. He's also black.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbA5GaK3Nq0&feature=related[/ame]

Also, Pete Wells of Benedictum!

I'm glad you're doing this paper! I'm also a person of the darker complexion, and it makes me happy to see attention brought to metal's diversity.

Last edited by a moderator: