...for a first time listener...

Sep 19, 2004
P3C-117
www.yessy.com
...what would be the best band for a first time listen for someone who in their opinion thinks this music is just 'too hard/heavy metalish'?...

(they think country is the way to go)...:yuk:

...thanx in advance...:)

Dream Theatre, Fates Warning, Stride.

This takes nothing away from the above bands, I love them all. But I guess what I'm hinting at is... progressive metal. Its not necessarily as 'heavy' as some of the other styles, but just as great.

Tesla :lol: I love that band.. But maybe ARK or Masterplan... Circus Maximus. Stride?I dont know, its kind of hard without know who the persona is or what they listen to... I say tie them up and make them listen for hours :headbang:

Best easy listening metal songs to break someone in:

Within Temptation "Angels"
Sonata Arctica "UnOpened"
Balance Of Power "Shelter Me"
Blood Promise "Suite 218"
Circus Maximus "Alive"
Bonfire "Down To Atlanta" (def southern vibes here)

thedelicateflower said:
...what would be the best band for a first time listen for someone who in their opinion thinks this music is just 'too hard/heavy metalish'?...

I've had good luck turning people onto Queensryche over the years. Empire might be a good start for someone who's not into anything even remotely heavy. It's Queensryche's poppiest, but still has a good edge to it. If they dig that hit them with Operation Mindcrime.

A couple others that seem to play well with my non-metal friends are.

Conception - Flow
DC Cooper - S/T
Pink Cream 69 - Sonic Dynamite, or Electrified
Place Vendome - S/T

For something even newer maybe try - Evergrey's - Monday Morning Apocalypse.

Good Luck !!

Britt

thedelicateflower said:

If you're trying to convert a hardcore country music fan to this sort of music then good luck! I can see converting someone that's into 70s/80s hardrock, but not country.

Anyway, I'd spin them a copy of Dream Theater's Images & Words and if they don't like that, then forget it!

Helloween's Keeper of the Seen Keys part 1
It's the birthplace of Power metal

To try and convince someone who thinks country music is the way to go, i would suggest the following.

NightWish "End of and Era" live cd
Brother Firetribe
Planet Alliance
Masterplan
Balance of Power
Circus Maximus
and cap it off with Mercenary "The Hours that remain"
This will show them a little bit of everything, and if they still say country is the best, then they may not be worth saving.

thedelicateflower said:

As far as whole CDs, I'd agree with others' suggestions of:

Conception - Flow (Xmas gift to 2 friends....now is favorite CD of both)
Queensryche - Empire (I like Op: Mindcrime better, but this one's a better intro...but if they're really into great lyrics, go with Mindcrime)
Stride - Imagine (also not as "metal" as some, but a great intro to the genre)

and I'd add:
Enchant - Break (it's not as "metal," as some, but will help ease them in).

I'd especially suggest the Enchant...either "Break" or "Juggling 9 or Dropping 10". One of the big draws about country music to most of its fans is the lyrics, which often *are* pretty good (which is good 'cause the music itself is generally boring as hell :lol:). Enchant has awesome lyrics, great music, and is a good way to "ease" into progmetal, IMHO.

Honestly, though, I'd go with videos. For your average person (ie. someone not into metal or progmetal), there's just way too much going on with most metal bands for them to follow by just listening (or you'll hear "it's too loud and noisy"). But if they can WATCH the band play, they might get more of an appreciation for the musician's talent, especially the singer....seeing Chris Salinas, Michael Eriksen, etc belt out those amazing vocals LIVE last weekend really puts it in your face as to how talented they are. WATCHING John Petrucci play impossible riffs LIVE in Dream Theater's "Live at Budokan" makes you REALLY "see" how good he is, vs. simply hearing the studio version...watching the fingers, hands and lips move seems to really "bring it home" to people.

Case in point: I played Dream Theater's "Dance of Eternity" SONG for my brother (also a country music fan), and he just said "they're really talented." Then when Live at Budokan came out, I made him watch "Instrumedley" with me (from the Budokan DVD), which is largely based on the same song, but it's a VIDEO.

He was blown away and now wants to go with me next time I see them. In fact, halfway through that "song" on the DVD, I offered to shut it off, saying "I just wanted you to see part of it...there's still another 6 minutes to go," and he said "no, no!! Leave it on...I want to see the rest of it!!"

So, maybe:

DT's "Live at Budokan" (or maybe Score....haven't seen it yet)
Enchant's "Live At Last" DVD
Queensryche's "Operation LiveCrime" DVD

Or whatever else you have that's close...

Just a thought...

Craig

KEEL !!!!! :)

Steve in Philly

For those that don't know, Ron Keel, after putting out quite a few 80's albums and being known as a screamer, has moved on to be a country singer

thedelicateflower said:

If they like Country I'd suggest something that's got a strong Blues sensibility. I'd definitely stay away from anything too Progressive or anything with harsh vocals. Perhaps something like Godsmack, just to warm them to the idea of Hard Rock/Metal. Then spin some Black Label Society for them. Once you've got them hooked on some of the more obvious Hard Rock/Metal stuff, try some newer SX, like "The Odyssey". After they've spent some time with SX, introduce them to the old school stuff; first Pantera, than "Ride"/"Masters" era Metallica. Keep them moving, slowly pushing them towards heavier and darker music. Once their living room is full of Scandinavian Black Metal demos, they start showing up to work in corpse paint and they legally change their name to Lord Evil Blackness you'll know your work is done.

Zod

Start them off with some Progrock, like Marillion or something. Within Temptation is pretty smooth. A lot of people seem to like Nightwish or Dream Theater when I play that too.

...wow...thank you peeps...:headbang:

...she isn't hard into country, she does listen to some 80's hair bands...

...the first music i heard was dream theater's 'scenes from a memory'...i could not get into them...savatage's 'the wake of magellan' did it for me and i have been hooked ever since...though, now i do like dream theater...(after seeing their 'train of thought' tour...i even bought a keychain) :)

thedelicateflower said:

There are several bands that I can consider to be "crossover" between traditional rock and prog/power metal.

For example, those who performed at this year's show, I would suggest

Vision Divine
Thunderstone
Pyramaze

Last year's show:

Stratovarius
Pink Cream 69
Stride

Other bands that I like that aren't too bad:

Brainstorm
Dragonforce (they shred, but its not too "heavy")
Lanfear
Edguy

I can probably think of some more... give me a bit to rest my brain cell :loco:

DO NOT start a country fan with anything Prog!!!! Hell, I'm into metal for 23 years now and I can't handle prog without really, really forcing myself. The music would have to be very accessible to radio and very basic to lure someone. I would suggest:

Bonfire
Adriangale
220 Volt
newer Great White
maybe some lighter goth like Entwine or Lacrimas Profundere or Tiamat
Fair Warning
Gotthard
Jeff Scott Soto stuff
HIM

and stuff like that. In my opinion, that is.