...for a first time listener...

thedelicateflower said:
...what would be the best band for a first time listen for someone who in their opinion thinks this music is just 'too hard/heavy metalish'?...

(they think country is the way to go)...:
Start off with the Allman Brothers - Fillmore East. Then move up to Dixie Dregs. Then move onto Hayseed Dixie. Then play some Ronnie Lee Keel. Progress next to Dangerous Toys. Then Atomic Opera. Followed by Galactic Cowboys. And then Dragonforce.

Have to second Bear's Tesla suggestion, and anyone who mentioned Fates Warning (might want to start with "Another Perfect Day" from X, and then APSOG all the way through). Would also toss in Badlands and Section 16 ("Metrolpolitan God" is freaking infectious). Section 16 is on MySpace

The fact is that some people will just never get it. I had a gf that I tried for a few years to get to like music I liked. She had some problem with all the progpower type stuff, even though she liked Maiden, Queensryche, other 80s, etc. She had some metal in her, just set in her ways.

I tried DT, NW and other more mainstream kinds of bands, and no go. She even walked out of a DT concert. I finally traded her in on a gf that had more Blind Guardian and Iced Earth CDs than I did. :)

Some people just don't get it.

Diamond45 said:
There are several bands that I can consider to be "crossover" between traditional rock and prog/power metal.

For example, those who performed at this year's show, I would suggest

Vision Divine
Thunderstone
Pyramaze

Last year's show:

Stratovarius
Pink Cream 69
Stride

Other bands that I like that aren't too bad:

Brainstorm
Dragonforce (they shred, but its not too "heavy")
Lanfear
Edguy

I can probably think of some more... give me a bit to rest my brain cell :loco:

This is probably the best "starter" list I've seen posted. You'd probably want to hold off on the Brainstorm until you had them pretty firmly hooked though.
I've actually done what you're trying to do, and that person is even now sliding down the slippery slope of Melodic Death. Christmas is coming up so spin TSO for them - even better,take them to the concert - that leads you into Dead Winter Dead, and you're on your way.

Today's country is formuated a lot like the 80's hard rock, with a lot of flare and catchy choruses. Prog probably isn't going to impress them too much to start. You need the stuff that snags their attention quickly. Other bands could include:
Sonata Arctica (already mentioned)
Kamelot
The Scorpions
Freedom Call
Hammerfall

I know it's a little "Happy," but we're talking about a starting point. Once you have them hooked then you can corrupt them at your leisure.:heh:

Magius said:
Sonata Arctica (already mentioned)
Kamelot
The Scorpions
Freedom Call
Hammerfall

Thanks for the Sonata Arctica & Hammerfall mentions. I forgot those, and they are very good bands for those who are new to the genre.

But like other people have said - it would be VERY difficult for a country fan to listen and like prog. A rock fan (like me) can make the transition fairly easy. But a country fan would be hard, if not impossible.

Just my 2 1/2 cents opinion.

Ya wanna trick her into this genre of music? Then make a mix cdr of a bunch of hard rock/metal bands ballads. And tell her all the bands music is like that!! ;)

Magius said:
Christmas is coming up so spin TSO for them - even better,take them to the concert - that leads you into Dead Winter Dead, and you're on your way.

Today's country is formuated a lot like the 80's hard rock, with a lot of flare and catchy choruses.

Agreed…if your friend likes classical music at all, I’ve seen a lot of folks start with Trans-Siberian Orchestra and make the transition to Savatage.

I also like the idea of starting with country and working slowly towards the “Prog” side. In addition to the “Southern Rock” path, there’s also the “Mutt” Lange connection: Shania Twain…Def Leppard…AC/DC