How it happened this year:

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Hang with me.....

Original headliner: Talks start in November.

Stratovarius: I touch base with Koltipelto in December wanting him for a 3rd slot. The next thing I know is that Stratovarius is back together. I am like the 3rd person in the world outside the band/family/management to know and I have to keep quiet. Arggh! I confirm them with the full intention of closing the festival down as a proper headline band. Saturday night slot done. Jens and Jorg make me feel pretty damn good about the whole thing and take care of me in the press.

Therion comes out of nowhere essentially as there manager is the same as Blind Guardian. Band #2 & 4th slot band confirmed. When I confirmed them, the intention was a 7 city tour of the States. I watch it grow into a month long trek. Oh well, that's business.

I contact Masterplan. Budget is a concern for their booking agent, but they will check with the band. I never hear back.

Symphorce gets the nod next. It was an easy decision after watching Andy perform live.

Manticora gets the nod next after I'm blown away by the new disc. I alreadly know regardless of who I book in the bottom 4 slots that I want them to open the festival. The show needs to start off with a kick in the nuts instead of an oddball or a prog band.

Psychotic Waltz turns me down.

Seiges Even's represenative contacts me. I reply that I would love to have them and let's open talks. I never get a reply.

In the meantime, a loud mouthed guitarist tells the world I made them an offer. Note that the loud mothed guitarist is not on the final roster.

Orphaned Land becomes the next target. Kobi, Century Media, and I work for a solid two months to get the deal done. I'm working on the gut feeling that it will be ok and I unofficially confirm them. They need to be on a different night than Therion. I put Therion in the 4th slot on Friday so I have flexiblity for the Friday night thing as I have nothing nailed down. OL goes to the 3rd slot on Friday. I work like it is confirmed.

Still working on the mystery band.

Fates Warning don't even blink at me.

Ken Golden throws the Circus Maximus disc at me. By the next morning, I made them an offer as I was blown away. I think..wait they don't even have a disc out so what's the public going to say? Fuck it, it's my gig and I want them just so I can see them. I figure they fit the Dreamscape slot in a #2 position and balance Manticora's power. Friday night's headliners are the only thing left.

I nail down Conception after waiting for two months. I want them in the 4th slot and that is where they want to be. I have to keep quiet for weeks while I get slagged in my own forum about not having a big name that fits the mold and appeals to the prog fans. Oh well...

Mystery band asks for another month to decide. I gamble and agree.

I approach a previous band that played about the 3rd slot and they are psyched. I'm happy. Forty-eight hours later they sign a contract with a big European management and land a direct support slot on a European tour for September that they cannot pass up. I don't blame them one bit. Thus, I lose the 2nd band.

I'm sitting around listening to some tunes and random button brings up PC's "Shame." I love this song and I have known Kosta for a few years now. I consult with some friends and they agree that..."You got balls." PC 69 is confirmed within 72 hrs. The band gets a 3rd slot to mix up the pace a bit, especially before Therion and Stratovarius.

I need a good progressive band that can open the other night and fit my budget. I had Stride on my radar last year, but they had nothing to show. I find out they are signing with Sensory and will have a disc out. The other opener is confirmed.

Orphaned Land is confirmed. I sleep easier at night. You guys have no idea just how great a guy Kobi really is.

Mystery band cannot confirm by my deadline. Damn it. Maybe next time...

Angra is confirmed 72 hours later.

Time for a beer.

Glenn H.

Looks to me like everything that fell through turned out for the best!! And thumbs up for going on a whim and booking Circus Maximus despite their not having a disc out yet.

Still don't know who the mystery band was, but I know I prefer this line up to those other couple bands that turned the show down. Awesome work and thanks for posting the behind the scenes story!

I know Glenn is too good of a guy to say exactly who the "loud-mouthed" guitarist is, so does anyone else remember who it is? I remember hearing about it, but can't remember who it was!

Harvester said:
Fuck it, it's my gig and I want them just so I can see them. .

<laughs> That's priceless!! :D I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the lineup this year initially, but it's shaped up quite nicely. I never should have doubted ya, Glenn!

Hell, I'd go just for Conception....you definitely outdid yourself with them!!! Add Angra, Stride, and Circus Maximus (LOVED the clips), and I'm happy! The other bands I'm either (a) less familiar with but sound pretty good from what I've heard (Orphaned Land and Manticora), or (b) are clearly very good at what they do, just not exactly my cup of tea (I'll still listen with open ears, though!).

Not that you need my approval, but I approve anyway. :headbang:

YOU RULE!!! :worship:

Craig
P.S. Redemption next year!! Can't wait for their new disc in a couple of months!! :headbang:

So I'm guessing this has been the hardest year to nail everything down? Really looking forward to reading that book! *lol*

The only thing I can say is thanks for all the work you've put into this Glenn, tremendous lineup!

Neal

interesting. Glenn, as I understand you mostly try to get bands that you really like, but let us say you don't like or even hate a band like Running Wild, Falconer, Grave Digger, etc. does that mean you will never book them on your fest?

t0ny said:
I know Glenn is too good of a guy to say exactly who the "loud-mouthed" guitarist is, so does anyone else remember who it is? I remember hearing about it, but can't remember who it was!

Jon Shaffer?

AngraRULES said:
Actually, Angel Dust would not be the headliner...

So... Oh Well, Orphaned Land is much better than them anyway...

Agreed that Angel Dust would not headline, but with all of this slagging on them I'm going to assume that you did NOT attend ProgPower II. Angel Dust stilll reign supreme as the most powerful ProgPower performance I've seen over the 4 years I've been. If the mouth is the main reason they were not included this year, then I REALLY wish they had kept it fucking shut. Oh well.
Very strong lineup nonetheless, and well done.

Ryan

From a post on the perpetual board tonight I am thinking the mystery band was Crimson Glory.

I am bummed to see that Masterplan couldn't get there act togther, thanks for trying Glenn. I had a feeeling Fates would puss out which is also to bad!!

I am shocked to see that you tried to get Psychotic Waltz to reunite!!! Damn!!! those tards, they could of had a great return!!! Oh well. Maybe next year DTS can play?

RAWK!! I am totally happy with this years fest!!!

Bear

The fact that I'm going to see Orphaned Land blows my mind. So if that was the slot that the loudmouthed guitarist freed up for them, then bravo for loudmouthed guitarists!

Se7enChurches said:
Agreed that Angel Dust would not headline, but with all of this slagging on them I'm going to assume that you did NOT attend ProgPower II. Angel Dust stilll reign supreme as the most powerful ProgPower performance I've seen over the 4 years I've been. If the mouth is the main reason they were not included this year, then I REALLY wish they had kept it fucking shut. Oh well.
Very strong lineup nonetheless, and well done.

Ryan

You're right. I did not attend the festival and I believe you may be right since they seem to be a very powerful band live-wise...I just like Angra or Orphaned Land better... It's not slagging. It's a matter of personal opinion... ;)

My guess is also that Crimson Glory is the Mystery Band. Midnight and Ben Jackson were special guests here last year and had a great time. If I were a betting man, I'd guess that Midnight and Ben were the two band members that tried to convince "the other members" to come, but with no luck. Too bad, if true, as Jon Drenning has stated that an anniversary box set with new material was to be released later this year (and they all live down in Florida).

Was Sonata Arctica ever in the plans??? Just curious as to who the band was that you were referring to when you polled the forum as to whether we would want to see a band that would be doing a full U.S. tour. Could have been Nightwish as well I presume?