New Bands Announced For Chi-Town Powerfest

I think one thing has nothing to do with the other.

I have hopes because I hear great things about this festival, but the lineup has never really made it for me. So, if someday the lineup is great, I'd love to go and enjoy this festival, since so many of my friends say good things about it. I'm sure it would be a great time.

I think as a general rule, if one makes the Progpower fest/forum their home, chances are they won't be really excited for the Chicago Powerfest lineup. The two fests feature drastically different bands.

I'm excited to see who the headliners are, as that sealed the deal for me last year.

I'm speaking on behalf of the band in saying we are really excited to be part of the fest this year. CPF continues to grow each year and we're very fortunate to be included in something that will be a very special weekend.

I think there will be some pleasant surprises for people that had seen us before and those who haven't seen us yet. Next month we start recording our 3rd release and we're going to play a couple of the new songs at the fest. What can I say about the new material, well its like crack rock for the ears. :lol:

I'm speaking on behalf of the band in saying we are really excited to be part of the fest this year. CPF continues to grow each year and we're very fortunate to be included in something that will be a very special weekend.

I think there will be some pleasant surprises for people that had seen us before and those who haven't seen us yet. Next month we start recording our 3rd release and we're going to play a couple of the new songs at the fest. What can I say about the new material, well its like crack rock for the ears. :lol:

Please tell me you wrote a tune entitled, "OH MY GOD! HE'S HERE!!!"

;)

Congrats to my boys in MWC and the rest of the bands.
Looking forward to the fest and After Party debauchery.

:headbang:

I think as a general rule, if one makes the Progpower fest/forum their home, chances are they won't be really excited for the Chicago Powerfest lineup. The two fests feature drastically different bands.

I'm excited to see who the headliners are, as that sealed the deal for me last year.

this isnt true at all. Most people are not tied to one genre. Sure they may favor one over the other. I have a stronger love for the power metal genre and folk metal genre over others, but I still post on many forums and love discussing all genres of metal. I attened the past three Powerfest. havent had the luxury to come to ProgPower yet, wanted to go to Heathen Crusade but this year the line up kind of fell apart. I would never want to be clumped into a person who just likes one style. I have taste that are all over the place. My CD collection would make many peoples head spin.

I get excited over any fest line up, even if I am not going. I enjoy seeing great rosters of bands. I dont think this is the falling out or getting in jabs at any fest in general, I think most people here and even on other forums know that Powerfest has so much potential and when you see choices that make you scratch your head or choices that just dont interest you, it is kind of a let down. Agian though I think a lot of it is that most people are spoiled with the quaility of ProgPower.

I am sure if Powerfest keeps up and puts on strong shows year after year, they will be able to maybe one day rival ProgPower. I am glad that they have went into a different direction and stayed away from making it ProgPower Jr. There isnt a need for that. In the past I have made my opinion very open about how I feel about the fest in general. Nothing changes that but it seems this year they have a good start in where it is going.

I just dont like this theory of if you like and go to ProgPower that you are not going to like Powerfest and if you like Powerfest you wont care for ProgPower.
It isnt a competition or lets see who can out do each other type of thing. My main gripe is that I am lazy and want to see great bands who I like at Powerfest since I dont have to travel far and I get mad when there isnt much that excites me. This year so far is interesting. Like Rycher, I am waiting on the headliners. This year they did some cool things...got two real quality locals in the mix, MWC and Nov Doom. Got a cool band that is definetly and up and coming band to look out for...Kiuas, and a few others that you've seen the name pop up here and there that make it interesting.
Again, there really isnt much to debate until everything is announced.

Well said Diabolik.
I agree with your entire post.

I love seeing festival lineups, both here and overseas.
Always interesting to see what gets put together.

Agreed with Diabolik on this topic, and, in addition, I will tell you that I have been to every CPF (even 2000!) and every PPUSA, and the year that I miss one or the other will be a very sad year for me. Fact is, the two fests were born out of -- literally -- the same core audience (primarily the Perpetual Motion Forum/Powermad fest crowd), and still retain several of the same attendees, even if said attendees don't always make every fest.

The biggest difference between CPF and other metal fests is not the genre barrier... it's the fact that CPF is designed to be a more diverse fest than most. It regularly features prog, power, death, doom, thrash, folk, metalcore, and the occasional black metal band. It has always had a much more experimental format than most metal fests. Most of the hating or the indifference toward CPF comes from fans who are mostly interested in certain niches of metal. Contrarily, the diversity year after year is what makes CPF consistently the best fest lineup for my tastes; ProgPower USA happens to be the best run and most entertaining event every year, even if the lineups aren't always tailor-made to my liking.

On the contrary, I think that if the two fests didn't have an overlapping fanbase, they wouldn't be cross-advertised so much on their respective forums.

...The biggest difference between CPF and other metal fests is not the genre barrier... it's the fact that CPF is designed to be a more diverse fest than most. It regularly features prog, power, death, doom, thrash, folk, metalcore, and the occasional black metal band. It has always had a much more experimental format than most metal fests. Most of the hating or the indifference toward CPF comes from fans who are mostly interested in certain niches of metal. Contrarily, the diversity year after year is what makes CPF consistently the best fest lineup for my tastes...

:headbang: :kickass: My sentiments exactly.

Also, CRJ wants to give bands that are not so known a chance to become known, and I have nothing but respect for them for doing that. Suidakra is a huge example of that. I think it's fantastic.

I am not just saying all of this because I know CRJ personally, which I do, but it's because I felt this way in the first place that I got the chance to know them personally.

So, if you see bands listed you don't know about...good! Go check them out, you may just be in for a wonderful surprise. :)

The biggest difference between CPF and other metal fests is...
That they wait until the day before the festival begins to announce the headliners? :loco:

...it's the fact that CPF is designed to be a more diverse fest than most.
Than most festivals? If you're using ProgPower as the lone measuring stick, than I'd agree. However, if you look at festivals worldwide, CPF is actually more homogenous than most.

Zod

Wow, are you serious?

You have my answer and I've given the reason for their name change. I see no need to discuss this further.

Than most festivals? If you're using ProgPower as the lone measuring stick, than I'd agree. However, if you look at festivals worldwide, CPF is actually more homogenous than most.

I'm referring to festivals in the US, as there's really no comparison between the "big" fests here and the gigantic open air ones in Europe. Virtually all US metal festivals stick to a specific formula, and name their fest after that formula. PPUSA is one of the few that features two distinct genres of metal, plus "oddball" bands.

:headbang: :kickass: My sentiments exactly.

Also, CRJ wants to give bands that are not so known a chance to become known, and I have nothing but respect for them for doing that. Suidakra is a huge example of that. I think it's fantastic.

I am not just saying all of this because I know CRJ personally, which I do, but it's because I felt this way in the first place that I got the chance to know them personally.

So, if you see bands listed you don't know about...good! Go check them out, you may just be in for a wonderful surprise. :)

I dont think calling Suidakra an unknown band is the right choice of words. They have been around for a while with over 6 CD's. Played numerous fest over Europe and if you are the type to look into different bands...I am sure you wold come across them. Sure people were exposed to them at Powerfest, basically because all the people there to see Testament. I would have to say that majority of those people were just there for Testament. About 10 percent actually cared who Suidakra were. From what people were saying in the audience....they didnt gain too many fans that night. While they are a fave band of mine.....and a band I suggested to Rob for a while way before they were booked, and the main reason I went last year to the fest, I still wouldnt bow your hat thinking that the fest made the band. I know because of the fest they were able to play like 6 or 7 Paganfest dates....which I am sure got them more fans that just the one off Powerfest appearance. Sure it was because of Powerfest that they were able to come over and get on the shows...so in that case..sure that is one thing that Powerfest did to get them noticed.

Again....there is no reason to have every up in arms. Wait till everything is announced before everyone starts a huge posting war. I am really hoping for something good this year. It is going to be tough for them though....Opeth and Enslaved the day before Paganfest....then they have Templars of Doom fest the same weekend and also Nightwish the same weekend. Hopefully they can pull off some amazing headliners.

Sure people were exposed to them at Powerfest, basically because all the people there to see Testament.

But that's the point...they were exposed

About 10 percent actually cared who Suidakra were.

Better than none.

I know because of the fest they were able to play like 6 or 7 Paganfest dates....which I am sure got them more fans that just the one off Powerfest appearance. Sure it was because of Powerfest that they were able to come over and get on the shows...so in that case..sure that is one thing that Powerfest did to get them noticed.

And this was exactly what I was thinking of when I said what I said.

P.S. Nice to see you too and yes, long time no see Jasonic.

Sincerely,
The Little Troll (so I've been called) :heh:

But that's the point...they were exposed

Better than none.

And this was exactly what I was thinking of when I said what I said.

P.S. Nice to see you too and yes, long time no see Jasonic.

Sincerely,
The Little Troll (so I've been called) :heh:

I agree....any exposure is great. Even if 5 people become fans....that is the point with getting out there playing live and taking the risk of losing money on a show. You have to lose some to gain some.

I feel really bad for the guys. They are running into some really shitty luck beyond their control in terms of competition for the dollar that week:

4th- Tarja
6th- Opeth/Enslaved
7th- Queensryche
8th- Queensryche
8th- Nightwish

I feel really bad for the guys. They are running into some really shitty luck beyond their control in terms of competition for the dollar that week:

4th- Tarja
6th- Opeth/Enslaved
7th- Queensryche
8th- Queensryche
8th- Nightwish

And the Templars of Doom fest in Indiana the same weekend too. With solid headliners...hopefully they can pull it off. It is a tricky business. Plus I think it is finals time for some colleges too.