Screw waiting...the next band is confirmed

I have never been one to berate people or start flame wars, so I won't start now, but I need to say three things and I will try to do it as politely as possible for all naysayers here about the lineup so far........

1) How would you like to try and satisfy the tastes of thousands of elite metalheads ?

I think Glenn has done an exceptional job. I haven't liked every band he has booked, but at the same time, he has surprised me with many bands and the quality they have delivered live and on disc.

2) Glenn has sold this event out for three straight years. He probably has the clout to make it a larger event with more fans and bigger bands, yet he prefers the "intamacy" of the show he has promoted over the years. I applaud him for keeping the vision he has for the show.

3) Metal needs to be in The South...

While this point might be argued, the truth is there are a lot more metal-heads in the Southeast than credit is given to. If you take away the metropolis areas in the coastal regions, the Southeast has a good sized population. Is it against the law for people to won a pickup and listen to metal ? >:p~

Bryant

I don't see what's wrong with the critiques. It seems to me that people are just posting their opinions. No one is insulting Glenn, just stating their opinions on the first two announced bands.

Anyway....yes, I think there are more metal people in the south than it's credit for. That might not be a good thing, though. It seems like a good bit of the metal is the endless stream of Deicide/Vital Remains, Cattle Decapitation, Cannibal Corpse, and lots of other "mindless" metal and -core than come through NC and sometimes Atlanta. Deicide/Vital Remains is actually good.....but there is a lot of what I would call...."redneck" metal. Although I guess there's plenty of that in other places too.

FatesFan said:
Hey Dark,

You know,maybe I was a bit out of line and may have come at you wrong. I originally responded to your post but had several others on my mind at the same time as well. That entire"rant" was not totally directed at you. It just seemed to snowball from there. I respectfully apologize to you and anyone else that I may have offended. This should not be a place for this kind of stuff. If anyone has seen any of my previous posts you will recall that I go out of my way to say I am not trying to offend or insult anyones taste with comments of my own taste.

There it is for what it's worth.

Fates is being a stand up guy! I apologize as well, if I've insulted anyone in anyway! My accusation regarding the lineup was very premature, so I apologize to Glenn! You have busted your butt for the past five years, and I should have taken that into consideration before I opened my big mouth! Glenn, I hope you accept my apology.

Barking Pumpkin said:
I don't see what's wrong with the critiques. It seems to me that people are just posting their opinions. No one is insulting Glenn, just stating their opinions on the first two announced bands.

Well said!

FatesFan said:
The name of my band was Screamer. Kinda dumb I know, but we started when I was like 12 or 13 and it's hard to change a name once you started. We played against Helstar even before James came around. Funny fact about Helstars "Burning Star" ALbum(vinyl). If you look in the blank black space next to the label (the end of the album), you will find an inscription in spanish that puts down Joe Elliot from Def Leppard. Joe had made some nasty remakes about mexicans while touring texas and the Original band members all being from mexican decent had a bit of a problem with it. My spanish is not that good so I could have this spelled all wrong,but it said"jose elliot chupas webos mexicano." Loosely translated " Joe elliot sucks Mexican Balls".

Just thouht I would share. Have fun at the witches show. You should come back and give a review.

Heh, that's funny. Maybe that's why when Seven Witches covered "Wasted" Jack handled the vocals and not James? I will definetly review the Seven Witches show.

Dark One said:
????

First, I acknowledged that many people have that viewpoint, but I don't feel that MY viewpoint is "quite a left field viewpoint" at all. I think it's quite a common viewpoint, and one that, if you were to embrace it, would allow you to have a great time at the festival year in and year out regardless of the lineup. Meeting up with friends, meeting the bands, great vendors, fantastic organization (including the best time organization of any festival I've been to outside of Europe), comfortable seating, AND 10 underground metal bands that you can't see together ANYWHERE else on one bill???

Man, if you DON'T believe that the festival "is beyond hoping that you'll get ( in one's opinion) a better lineup and set with the talent there" than I feel you are depriving yourself of what the true nature of the festival is all about. It's a coming together of elite fans for an elite show, and while a few festivals may come close, it is a bond that is hard to match anywhere else in North America.

FatesFan said:
Yes, this is my opinion and mine alone. I may be in the minority,so what. My dollars spend just as far as yours do. I am not really sure what to do with this comment (One other note, I know many people just focus on the band list and the bands' performances to determine how good Progpower is, but the festival really is about so much more than that.) Without the bands you have no show. Listen, this isn't a Star Trek convention, it is a music festival. How can you not focus on the band and/or the performances. I am not driving to another state for a weekend,leaving my family,spending a fair amount of money,to not be concerned about who plays just to hang out with a bunch of strangers and talk about music. I can do that here for free and from the comfort of my own home. Yes, I agree that the festival is an experience in itself. I strongly believe that PP is the # 1 metal festival bar none in this hemisphere. I think what Glen has managed to pull off in histories past is in itself mind boggling. I do have confidence in the fact that there will be plenty music to my liking when it is all said and done. I simply said I need it to be more than I have seen thus far. Some of you are to damn sensitive. Some one said "just because you don't like the first two band anounce doesn't mean that the whole festival is going to suck. Come on , do you people even read what other people are saying. I never implied that the whole festival is not going to be good. I am not an idiot. I understand that only two bands have been anounced and that there are eight more to come. I simply stated that I hope it goes upward"in my estimation". Besides, I never said I did not like Manticora. In fact I said that they would make a good one slot. Like the rest of you I would like nothing more than to look at the complete line up and marvel at the list of bands that I know I will get to see come September. I have said it before and I'll say it again. This only comes once a year and it is a huge deal to me. So excuse me for having an opinion and for wantng this to be to my liking.

What he said.

Word.

Muthaf$%#@r.

TheWhisper said:
Debate, discuss, disagree, but have fun doing so and don't take shit so seriously.

I agree! We should look at each others comments and have a bit of a chuckle before having a bitch-fit first. We all should comment about how we really feel but do it respectfully.

Thanks for your time. Now I will be grabing some of Glenn's community lube and launch off. :loco: