The Official Sat. Headliner Suggest Thread

AngraRULES said:
Let's just say I posted "No Manowar" simply because I've had some quite uncomfortable experiences with them and their management.

That being said, keep the assholes (not all of them are assholes, just a few select individuals in their group) away from the best festival in the world.

I agree...I've also had a bad experiance with the bands management and have also heard a few other things about how press was treated on their last tour.
With that being said, I would love to see Symphony X as the Sat. headliner as my fiancee and I have a friend in the band. Also, this one is kind of out there but if Dio was a possibility, why not...how about a Halford show?
I read that Judas Priest is not doing any touring at all this year except a couple of Euro fests, and I also have a friend that was/is in Halfords solo band. According to him, the band is still active and recording the next album right now. I also know lots of people from another board I'm on (The Rob Halford Quorum) that would go to Atlanta just to see Halford.
Or better yet, how about Priest??? :D

zinescene said:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned these 2 bands as a possibility...

Saxon or Nightwish...both would slay!!!!!!

I know this would be a stretch but Riot would be another great band to see at PP, though I don't think they'd have the following that the other 2 bands would.

TheWhisper said:
Glenn, get to work on that Crimson Glory reunion again.

Doctor Butcher - with Zak joining them for some Savatage stuff.
Fates Warning
Masterplan
Saxon
Iommi/Hughes
TNT
:D

Saxon would be awesome, don't know if enough people are
familiar with them, though. Same with stuff like Obsession,
TNT, Riot, Vicious Rumors, etc, but that would be a great show!

I'd say Dio, Pagan's Mind, Primal Fear, Yngwie, Vanden Plas or
Symphony X would work...

Neal

I'd love to see some stuff like Planet X, Tony MacAlpine,
Vinnie Moore, Satriani, etc but Glenn won't book instrumental
acts so unless they came up with a vocal set (Satriani the
most likely since he has vocal things on his albums) I don't
see anything like it happening. Vitalij Kuprij with Greg Howe
would be amazing though...

MysticX9 said:
Saxon would be awesome, don't know if enough people are
familiar with them, though. Same with stuff like Obsession,
TNT, Riot, Vicious Rumors, etc, but that would be a great show!

I'd say Dio, Pagan's Mind, Primal Fear, Yngwie, Vanden Plas or
Symphony X would work...

Neal

Man, anyone that hasn't heard Wheels of Steel, Motorcycle Man, Denim & Leather, 747, Princess of the Night, Strong Arm of The Law, Dallas 1Pm, Power & The GLory, Crusader, Play it Loud, Just Let Me Rock, Sailing To America is missing some great metal. They are an incredible, very energetic, live band and would be a perfect 2nd choice to close the festival!!!!!!!:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :worship: :worship: :worship:

As the best possibilities I'd say:

Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Symphony-X, Sonata Arctica, Edguy. EDIT: add Brainstorm

Bands I'd love to see Glenn break a rule for:

Orphaned Land, Therion...who will never tour the US in quite the same style as they did last summer.

Outside chance, but would rule: Nightwish first-show-with-new-singer show or something

Someone I'd love to see, if only someone could tell Arjen to say "yes": Stream of Passion/Ayreon dual set.

I think Glenn ruled out Dragonforce earlier for some pretty good reason...visa issue? I forget.

Devy or Dan Swano: would fuckin' rule, but only for some of us, alas.

My top choices (I'm all for putting the Prog back in ProgPower, as was already mentioned):

Threshold
Vanden Plas
Symphony X
Fates Warning

Redemption (I know they're a stretch but with Ray Alder singing maybe they could headline.

I hope not to see Manowar, Ted Nugent, reunion shows, or other old school type shows. Just a personal preference.

Okay folks:

Sym X - The obvious choice. Great band, and well received by PP.

I have to mention: Virgin Steele. Huge catalog, never tours the states.

Threshold IS a headliner, especially under this year's rules of slightly lower echelon headliners. I would love to see them here.

I am dying to see DragonForce, but they are NOT a headliner. They just haven't had enough material out yet. Same with Pagan's Mind. Heck, I'm not even sure Vandan Plas is a headliner.

Sonata Arctica - Don't think it'll happen, but it would be great.

Anything Savatage is always great for me, but again, I don't expect it.

A Riot or Pretty Maids would be cool, too, but I'm thinking that this will be a USA based band. Just my opinion.

My top choice out of the above would be Virgin Steele. My guess is Sym X.

Steve in Philly

Vicious Rumors with James "mini-Dio" Rivera on vox! Now there woulld be some interesting things going down.

UDO DIRKSCHNEIDER!!!!

Maybe UDO as a name isn't that known, but all these power metal bands are inspired by Accept and he'd definitely play some Accept songs.

Barring that, Helloween, HammerFall, Bruce Dickinson would be awesome but I can't see that ever happening. There's no "Bruce Dickinson band" and I'm sure he'd charge good money to get ready for a show.

urinalcakemix said:
I know Nearfest is the fest for that, but whats wrong with 1-2 bands that arent straight CHugga Chugga riffs and double bass?

I mean, dont you guys get tired of pounding double bass after a while?

Ted nugent's the man, he'd tear down the house!
That would be cool! I'm for a broadening in the format like that! I'm an open minded guy with elclectic musical tastes! Hell if Glenn got Victor W00ten to play I'd be estatic! Of course he'd have to rename the festival for something like that...ProgPowerFusion USA! :p

As far as Nuge...well since we're talking about fantasy here, he shouldn't just play. He should also have the the bow and flaming arrows and a wild Russian boar running around on stage too! :loco: Then he could hunt it, BBQ it up and start tossing ribs into the audience! :D

A couple of people, at least (I haven't read every single post), have mentioned Nightwish, w/ the new lead singer. Or even PPVII being the first appearance w/ new lead singer. That would be fucking awesome if they could play PPVII! Glenn what are your thoughts on this?

Symphony X (only if they play different material from what they have played since the Odyssey came out)

Planet X (I second metropolisimages' notion)

Sonata Arctica

James LaBrie/Mullmuzzler

Ark

Unca Kev said:
A couple of people, at least (I haven't read every single post), have mentioned Nightwish, w/ the new lead singer. Or even PPVII being the first appearance w/ new lead singer. That would be fucking awesome if they could play PPVII! Glenn what are your thoughts on this?
Nightwish haven't even started to look for a new singer yet, even they are flooded with demos from hopeful applicants from all over the world. This was according to Tuomas Holopainen in one of latest interviews a couple of weeks ago.

Arjen Lucassen says in this fresh interview made two weeks ago on tour with Stream Of Passion in Germany:

You don´t plan another tour in 2006? Possibly going overseas, or a couple of festival gigs?

Arjen: Well, the future is open. After this tour everyone is going to fly home, of course. Everyone has his own bands as well. Marcela has ELFONIA, it’s her band in Mexico and Johan has his own band in Holland, a NU-Metal band.
Maybe we could play some festivals if they would ask us. That would be nice. Of course, they would have to be in a certain period because you can’t keep flying people over – it’s too expensive.

They are playing half the set their own and and another half Ayreon material and that'll be as close to live Ayreon performance you'll ever get.

Maybe they could put up some kind of small tour starting from PP to cover the costs, like many European bands have done.
It wouldnt cost too much to ask from Arjen, would it?

Pellaz said:
As the best possibilities I'd say:

Gamma Ray, Primal Fear, Symphony-X, Sonata Arctica, Edguy. EDIT: add Brainstorm

Outside chance, but would rule: Nightwish first-show-with-new-singer show or something.

I've been fully operating under the assumption that the new Nightwish will make their US debut at PPVIII. I would love to see them sooner, but I recall reading that they want to pick a singer and record a new album with that singer before touring again, so this September might be too soon.

If Las Vegas printed out a chart of odds, I'd expect to see Symphony X on top, followed by Kamelot. Both can headline and both seem always game to show up. I love both bands, but I could see how some people might not want a third repeat band, especially one that has already performed twice (three times in the case of Symphony X) before. On the other hand, they both have (will have in the case of Symphony X) new albums, and if it is Kamelot, Khan and Simone can do their things.

Threshold and Enchant are both quality contenders from the lighter side of the spectrum.

Since Jon Oliva and company stuck with the early years at PPV and Zak will be in town, I second (or third, or whatever number we are up to) the Savatage idea, if it can be done. All the fantastic material performed at PPV is only the half the story. Of course, Oliva should still step up to the microphone to sing Doesn't Matter Anyway, Morphine Child, Drive, and Paragons Of Innocence. Oh, and Believe. Must close with Believe.

Shadow Gallery would also be very, very nice, assuming they can one day be convinced to perform a live show.

Jag Panzer would be great.

Has Royal Hunt ever been discussed? Is it too expensive, especially with the costs of bringing them over? Most of the bands I have mentioned have the benefit (in terms of travel expenses) of being American.

Sonata Arctica was very impressive when I just saw them, but I just saw them. I will probably be saying the same thing about Gamma Ray in a couple months.