The Return of the "How it Happened" post...PP USA XI

Yes way in hell. BTBAM is doing direct support for In Flames right now and their latest album sold over 20,000 albums in the first week. I'd like to see any of the power metal bands I mentioned save for Iced Earth sell that number. Three did direct support for Coheed And Cambria, Zappa Plays Zappa charges around $200 a ticket to headline and usually plays to several thousand people per show. They could have headlined over DT on the Prog Nation tour easily.

Dude, that was a loooooooooooooong time ago.
2004 maybe? 3 only got that slot because their vocalist/guitarist is the brother of Coheed's ex-drummer (who was still in the band at that time). I wanna say it was the IKSSE:3 tour.

But progressive metal doesn't necessarily = graduating from the DT school of things either.
Have I ever said that's true? In fact I've said just what you said many, many times on this forum.

Regarding the claim that ZPZ draws crowds of over 800...

Collected ZPZ tour attendance and gross receipts are posted here:

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9952

(Probably lifted from Pollstar, or Billboard, or some other industry rag.)

I note shows in Boca Raton, Atlanta, NOLA, etc....

But you are quoting shows where they were a SUPPORT band for Dream Theater, not their own headlining shows. So of course those numbers are going to be high, WTF?!?? :lol::lol::lol::loco::loco::loco: I need to see shows where ZPZ headlined and those numbers for a true number for what this band brings in on THEIR OWN.

Zappa Plays Zappa charges around $200 a ticket to headline and usually plays to several thousand people per show. They could have headlined over DT on the Prog Nation tour easily.

EH?? Please show me where ZPZ charges $200 a ticket where they headline and had several thousand people per show...Can;t wait:loco:

All arguments about genres and sub-genres will always be subjective and based largely on one's own opinion. I assumed everyone realized that at the onset and didn't feel the need to state the obvious.

As noted, your entitled to that opinion.

I'll take it one step further and say that all arguments period will always be subjective and based on one's own opinion. That said, the argument you used was especially subjective. Deciding that Opeth isn't prog metal, because you literally "don't like" their progressive albums (this idea I disagree with in it of itself... see below) just doesn't cut it in my book. Am I going to challenge you to fisticuffs because of it? Of course not, and you'd probably destroy me anyways (lol), but I vehemently disagree with that assertion.

Wow. Always? In capital letters no less? Good thing that's not a random assertion and can be backed up with empirical evidence.

Well I did mention a specific incident that happened in 2006, which is almost 4 years ago now: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=58625.

Here's a quote from the band themselves in 2005 saying that Blood Mountain would be a more progressive outing: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=45422.

So does that mean they've been billed as prog from their inception? No, but either way you're grasping at straws and arguing semantics. You claimed they've only been considered a prog-ish band since Crack the Skye, which certainly isn't true.

The context of this argument has been Prog Metal and more specifically, the festival. Which of those bands are going to play this festival? Even outside the perspective of this festival, Coheed And Cambria, Mars Volta and Porcupine Tree are all more Prog Rock, than Prog Metal. Opeth drew a thousand people to Brooklyn on the strength of those first four discs, long before they introduced more dominant Prog elements. And Between The Buried and Me have largely toured as a support band.

Zod

I don't really see how Volbeat, mid-era Amorphis, Mustasch, Nightingale, Freak Kitchen, Pain Of Salvation, and Riverside among others (bands I LOVE by the way) are heavier than Coheed and Cambria, Mars Volta, PT, Muse, etc.

Opeth have also been progressive since their inception. Mikael himself will pretty much tell you that King Crimson and Comus were just as important to Opeth's sound as Morbid Angel.

But you are quoting shows where they were a SUPPORT band for Dream Theater, not their own headlining shows. So of course those numbers are going to be high, WTF?!?? :lol::lol::lol::loco::loco::loco: I need to see shows where ZPZ headlined and those numbers for a true number for what this band brings in on THEIR OWN.

Dude it's one thing to say "well I only mostly to metal and had no idea that there's this huge prog scene going on right now," but it's another to keep arguing this. You didn't even know who Muse were dude, and while I don't mean to be a dick, I really think you should concede here. ZPZ does REALLY well. It's why they usually charge ridiculous amounts of money to see them live.

Dude, that was a loooooooooooooong time ago.
2004 maybe? 3 only got that slot because their vocalist/guitarist is the brother of Coheed's ex-drummer (who was still in the band at that time). I wanna say it was the IKSSE:3 tour.

Have I ever said that's true? In fact I've said just what you said many, many times on this forum.

Yeah well I never said that 3 can outdraw Iced Earth, but they definitely will can bring in 3-500 people on their name, which is pretty much what Hammerfall and Stratovarius bring in.

I got an email from Nokia Theatre in NYC in fact where they tried selling the Strato show for $5 a ticket, which is a sign that it wasn't selling at all.

But yeah I wasn't trying to be accusatory bro. We cool? <3333

...Zappa Plays Zappa charges around $200 a ticket to headline and usually plays to several thousand people per show....

I have friends that work at a theater that has twice hosted Zappa Plays Zappa headline shows. They had tickets priced around $59. That is not an average, it is the price for any ticket in the venue (~2500 seats). The next time the ZPZ tour came through was at a smaller club (~1600). I think tickets were about the same price. I'm not sure where you got the $200 a ticket price from. Maybe that is what they charged to show(s) in the area where you live.

That which is simple, obvious and easily accessible will always appeal to the greatest common denominator. Conversely, that which is intrinsically complex, will always struggle to find an audience.
Zod

That, right there, is all that needs to be said on this topic!!!

(was trying to type that thought out the other day, and well...let's just say it was not coming out as eloquently and politically correct...lol).

Please check out the link and concert dates. There are shows from 2-3 years back that were ZPZ shows, no DT. As an example, I was at this show. Well more than 800, but prices were not $200. The $200 comes from some small venues they played in 2008 where the fans got to vote for the setlist. See 2nd show. The prices were steep and still more than 800 people. Prices did break $200 for the SF show on that tour.

Civic Opera House
Chicago, IL
July 20, 2007
$120,745
2,531 /
1 /
$63, $43
$47.70
Live Nation

Morse Theatre
Chicago, IL
Oct. 17-19, 2008
$99,465
825 /
3 /
$145, $115
$120.56
Live Nation

I have friends that work at a theater that has twice hosted Zappa Plays Zappa headline shows. They had tickets priced around $59. That is not an average, it is the price for any ticket in the venue (~2500 seats). The next time the ZPZ tour came through was at a smaller club (~1600). I think tickets were about the same price. I'm not sure where you got the $200 a ticket price from. Maybe that is what they charged to show(s) in the area where you live.

Here in NYC, I've been unable to see them live because tickets have been like $150-$200 when they came around here. Progressive Nation would have been the cheapest ticket I've seen for one of their shows, but I had to pass it up because I don't care for what DT has been doing lately and I've already seen them 3 times. Plus, I had classes. :(

The shows listed are from June 2006 through June 2009, plus three one-off shows [three-off shows? LOL] they did in July 2009 as a headliner, during days off on PN2009. None of these shows are from the tour with DT, and so far as I know, all of them were shows where ZPZ headlined. So there you are.

Granted, when 2500 fans go to a ZPZ concert, most of them probably aren't metal fans. (Dweezil doesn't play "Shoogagoogagunga" with this band, for example.) And at the PN2009 show I attended, there were quite a few folk from the core Frank Zappa fanbase. Some of them left before DT went onstage, more left during the first two songs. [insert DT bashing here.] [insert FZ fanboy snobbery bashing here.]

I LOVE the line up for next year. The "Power" made me finally buy a ticket and make my way from Canada to Atlanta. I am looking forward to this big time.

Thanks for putting this together!

:headbang:

Well it is ProgPower... For Progressive and Power Metal mostly. While I love death and doom bands, I expect to see Power and Prog bands as being the main bands at the fest... with a spattering of a "whatever" band.

-MetalRose

Even though I personally would prefer otherwise, I agree that the main acts should be progressive metal and power metal.

However, to me, progressive metal is more than DT clones and spans the other genres as well. So I don't think it'd be "against" ProgPower USA to have Progressive forms of other metal subgenres (Opeth / Oceans Of Sadness / Division By Zero for example).

My original comment was not meant as anything more than "I personally think its a bummer Oceans Of Sadness was chosen because it was high on Glenn's playlist count, not because Glenn wanted a cross-genre Prog band this year." It was a personal statement of my personal opinion. (Ideally, I'd want both conditions to have been satisfied :lol:)

Even though I personally would prefer otherwise, I agree that the main acts should be progressive metal and power metal.

However, to me, progressive metal is more than DT clones and spans the other genres as well. So I don't think it'd be "against" ProgPower USA to have Progressive forms of other metal subgenres (Opeth / Oceans Of Sadness / Division By Zero for example).

My original comment was not meant as anything more than "I personally think its a bummer Oceans Of Sadness was chosen because it was high on Glenn's playlist count, not because Glenn wanted a cross-genre Prog band this year." It was a personal statement of my personal opinion. (Ideally, I'd want both conditions to have been satisfied :lol:)

But maybe the reason they were the most being played by him is because he actually likes them.Therefore,if he likes them,maybe more bands like that will be asked to play in the future....

Dude it's one thing to say "well I only mostly to metal and had no idea that there's this huge prog scene going on right now," but it's another to keep arguing this. You didn't even know who Muse were dude, and while I don't mean to be a dick, I really think you should concede here. ZPZ does REALLY well. It's why they usually charge ridiculous amounts of money to see them live.

You can;t back up your argument,which is what I thought!!:p

I'll take it one step further and say that all arguments period will always be subjective and based on one's own opinion. That said, the argument you used was especially subjective. Deciding that Opeth isn't prog metal, because you literally "don't like" their progressive albums (this idea I disagree with in it of itself... see below) just doesn't cut it in my book.
Opeth entered the conversation as evidence of Prog's popularity. My point wasn't that Opeth isn't Prog because I personally believe their earlier works are superior. My point was Opeth made their bones as a Death Metal band. Hell, many reviewers considered Orchid Black Metal. Mikael even joked, he feared they'd be lynched for not wearing corpse paint when they played live.

The fact that a band has Prog influences doesn't make them Prog Metal. Dream Theater has Jazz influences, they're not a Jazz band. Symphony X has had AOR influences, they're not an AOR band. I saw Opeth on the heels of the release Blackwater Park during their first U.S. tour. There were a thousand people there to see them. Trust me when I say, they weren't there to see a Prog Metal band.

Am I going to challenge you to fisticuffs because of it? Of course not, and you'd probably destroy me anyways (lol), but I vehemently disagree with that assertion.
LOL. I would never consider getting into it with someone over their opinions on music. We all like what we like and don't like what we don't. Your opinions are at least well thought out and well written. Feel free to disagree (and be wrong) all you like. :loco:

Well I did mention a specific incident that happened in 2006, which is almost 4 years ago now: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=58625.

Here's a quote from the band themselves in 2005 saying that Blood Mountain would be a more progressive outing: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=45422.

So does that mean they've been billed as prog from their inception? No, but either way you're grasping at straws and arguing semantics. You claimed they've only been considered a prog-ish band since Crack the Skye, which certainly isn't true.
As I suspect you already know, these links mean nothing. They are the opinions of others. And opinion + opinion is still only opinion.

As for your belief that I'm grasping at straws, I'm not. Why would I need to? It's not like you're offering up facts that I'm unable to counter. Your offering your opinion, and attempting to substantiate it with the opinions of others. With all due respect, I simply don't care how you or a handful of reviewers view Mastodon's previous works. If I was so inclined, I'm sure I could find an equal number of reviews where there was no mention of "Prog". And even if no such reviews existed, that still wouldn't make them a Prog Metal band, any more than Ayreon's use of Death Metal vocals makes them a Death Metal band.

I don't really see how Volbeat, mid-era Amorphis, Mustasch, Nightingale, Freak Kitchen, Pain Of Salvation, and Riverside among others (bands I LOVE by the way) are heavier than Coheed and Cambria, Mars Volta, PT, Muse, etc.
I don't consider any of those bands traditional Prog Metal bands, which again, is what the discussion has centered on. Some bands defy categorization. Most of the bands you listed are tweeners, which is why they have cross over appeal.

Opeth have also been progressive since their inception. Mikael himself will pretty much tell you that King Crimson and Comus were just as important to Opeth's sound as Morbid Angel.
Mikael could lay his hand on a stack of bibles and swear that Opeth is a pure Prog Metal band and I could care less. I've heard artists swear up and down that their next disc will their heaviest. It wasn't. That their next disc would be a return to their roots. It wasn't. That their next disc would be this, that and the other. It was none of the three. Let me ask you this, what percentage of artists do you think believe their music is pure shit? Probably none. Yet a lot of music is just that. The last person I would ever expect to give me an unbiased opinion of music, is that music's creator. As for Mikael love of King Crimson while growing up, that doesn't mean that love came through in what they did on those first four albums. And again, even if some of it did, that doesn't make them a Prog band.

Zod

Zod, I had a long reply to your post ready to rip but I realized that it would just derail this thread pretty hardcore. Ultimately, we are clashing on bare bones artistic opinion/perception alone and nothing more. It would amount to nothing more than a pissing contest. If you want to talk about our perceptions on what makes Opeth and Mastodon prog or what doesn't, we should probably do it via PM or another thread.

My ultimate point in this thread is that if we look at prog metal as the graduating class of the DT school, then it's no wonder we can't find a headliner. These bands are young, on small labels, don't have a lot of touring experience or album sales, etc. Comparing them to Hammerfall and Rhapsody is absurd, and in my opinion we should be stacking up Opeth and Porcupine Tree against them instead.