The Return of the "How it Happened" post...PP USA XI

I have always said that CANDLEMASS is the one doom band that the most picky power metal fan would love, given the chance.

Agreed. Plus, especially more recently Candlemass isn't strapped completely by having slow songs and have power metal similarities.

The one doom band I would love to see here but it will never happen is My Dying Bride. They're about as progressive as you get in doom, but the problem is they're probably just way too heavy and WAY too slow for progpower.

And on the flip side, it is a short week for a lot of people. If you are requesting the entire week off, it's one less day that you have to discuss with your boss. That includes myself. I have a full time job on top of this organized chaos.

I have also heard every complaint about the date over the years in regards to school. I honestly do not believe that I will ever be able to satisfy teachers and students with their type of schedules. It's either the start of the year, mid-terms, tests, projects, and the list goes on and on.

Hell, I have even considered Jewish holidays in regards to the scheduling.

Finally, I think everyone forgets that this date is immediately after the festival season in Europe. That means that most of the major bands are already in performance mode and battle-tested. That cuts way down on rehearsal time and band expenses. Thus, I am able to book more bands within my budget as a result.
I love that week for Progpower! Labor Day is the Monday before and it's a paid holiday for me. So, if I take that week off and since Labor Day is a paid holiday I get an extra day off, which I use for the Monday after Progpower. So, after travelling home from Progpower on Sunday it's nice to have Monday off to chill.

I've gone the last two years and am not stopping any time soon. The interesting thing about next year's is outside of Kamelot, Hammerfall and Tarot I truly don't know jack about any of the bands. But just like before this year's and the year before, Glenn you get me to listen to all the bands and love all of them...except one which is Nocturnal Rites for me. But I also know I'm in the minority for not liking them and they will get people to the fest, and hey, at the end of the day 11 out of 12 ain't bad.

This was the best read of "How it came to together" ever. I love this line-up from top to bottom, the only bands I was not familiar with Was Paradox and Oceans of Sadness, but not anymore, I LOVE OCEANS OF SADNESS. I have recently bought a couple of TYR disc and it is rip roaring have fun type metal. Hammerfall is going to be fun to watch. But to me the best of all is the TAROT, DELAIN back to back. Tarot has always been a huge favorite of mine. I think that the only thing that could have made this better would have been if Shadow Gallery had accepted, but i do see that in the future.

So whether you are a Prog Snob or Power Geek or a Thrash Psycho you gotta love this line-up, so get your tickets now avoid the rush, and lets sell this out.

Once again, thanks for the inside scoop. No shit from me, you booked who you booked and as long as there is a PP for me to attend I'm happy. I am sorry that the prog peeps didn't step up and meet the call....I can't thank you enough for booking Fates!!!!

I bought my plastic sword and horned helmet the next day

Between that and my drinking horn we should be all set up in the pit!

Nice read, Glenn!

As long as there is a fest, I will be there... I'm saying that as a FAN, and not an employee. All I needed to hear was "Tarot" & "Nocturnal Rites". I have confidence in Glenn's choices. Even if I hadn't heard a note of some of the unknown (to me) bands, I always figured that if they interest Glenn enough to bring them to Atlanta, there has to be SOMETHING there worthwhile. How's that for switching up nutsacks, Boss? :lol:

Let's get this puppy sold out, no need for PPUSA to become a diminished or endangered species. :kickass:

Thanks for the back story. It's always interesting to hear about the inner workings of ProgPower.

I won't bother questioning the Hammerfall pick, because I get why they were chosen. And although I'm not a huge fan of any of the other Prog or Power bands you've chosen (save Kamelot, who plays near me 5x a year), I get why they were picked as well. Where I think you missed the mark is, with the other picks; Delain, Paradox, Tyr and StormWarrior. Those are the picks that typically take the proverbial half glass of water and push it in one direction or the other. And those are the picks that leave me with a half empty glass.

In the end, I'm not your target audience, so it matters little. Regardless, I'll be rooting for a sell out.

Zod

Man if I had known about this festival before I moved to college in Ohio I would of stayed in Atlanta and gone to each one. And... if I had a job I'd go to everyone. . . (getting Record Engineering degree).

Tyr would be awesome to see, Kamelot would be awesome to see, Hammerfall would be awesome to see, Tarot could be cool to see, the rest I don't know too much about because they're kinda new.. right?

I already have the Kamelot dvd and seen the Hammerfall shows.. so I'm good as far as "technically seeing them live" ... i mean when you don't have a job and are relying on xmas / birthday money ... I'd overall would rather watch them on dvd then shell out another 140$.

I -might- do a 1 nighter if I can stay with my old friend in atlanta again (coming from Greensboro, NC) and not pay for hotels buts its just not worth it to me this time around for both nights.

Don't get me wrong.. this year was friggin awesome and I had such a blast meeting different people and talking to various artists/members etc etc.

thanks for this, Glenn! :worship:notworthy:worship:

being that I am who and how I am, I am probably the least picky festival attendee: Glenn picks 'em, I check 'em out.

I was lucky enough to be able to listen to stuff (at least 3 tracks from each band; some, at least an entire album) from most of the bands this past weekend - and I am TOTALLY looking forward to most of the bands at this point.

I know I will get trashed in some corners for my POV, but that's cool - I like being able to check out new bands every year...of course, I *do* have my faves out there, who i would love to see back...but that's *my* fantasy festival, not Glenn's ;)

as long as he is putting on this festival, The Su will be there :)

I am definitely in this camp. At this point last year I had never heard of Sabaton and now they are quickly becoming one of my favorite bands. For next year I am only familiar with 3 of the bands (Kamelot, Hammerfall and Nocturnal Rites) and haven't started listening to the others yet, but from what I heard in the video, I am particularly interested in Tyr and Oceans of Sadness, can't wait to get some of these discs! Me likey the METAL :headbang:

A fantastic read. I really have always wondered about the goings on. Most people wouldn't even think about sharing this kinda stuff, so I dig it!!

Nice read! :) I love reading it everytime...

Altough this year's line up absolutely alienates me, I understand the thinking behind it... But I am also on the "non-target-audience" group.

I think the economy shouldn't be taken lightly... That alone makes it very hard to prove any theory regarding last year's non-sell out.

Thanks Glenn for taking the time to write this up, on top of everything else you have going on. o_O What a fun and interesting read!

Being one of the prog snobs that you mention, and hearing everyone say what a power-heavy lineup this is, why am I so excited about next year? I mean, I couldn't wait to send you my GB payment (it went out the same day I got the mail).

Well, Seventh Wonder is a no-brainer for me (and should be for everyone else as well), DGM has been a favorite for years, Tarot kicks ass, Kamelot always slays (KHAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNN), Delain is some kick-ass power/pop/metal with a BEAUTIFUL singer (that April Rain video makes me moist), and Illusion Suite sounds great to me so far (but you already knew they would). I'm absolutely beside myself about this line-up. I can't think of any previous year that I've been THIS excited about (though in hindsight, getting to rock out in a hotel room next to Tom Englund while listening to the as yet unheard Recreation Day was pretty special :loco:)

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I hope that my gratitude somehow comes through in all this mess. I really am so hyped for XI.

Thank you Glenn. Hopefully I'll get a moment to thank you in person next year.

:headbang: :kickass: :worship: