The Steak Thread

that deer steak was definitely better than any cow steak i've had.

It was brought to my attention that steaks had been made not of cow meat, but of deer meat. The very concept intrigued me. A piece of this steak was given to me; and at first glance, it didn't look any different than the usual cut of beef I would eat. The smell was sweet due to the teriyaki marinade that the meat was gracefully bathed in. I cut a sliver and shoved it in to my mouth. It was tender. It was so full of flavor. There was an extra sweetness that was beyond teriyaki sauce. Could it be the deer? Could it be love? I do believe it was fate. I devoured the lovely deer steak within seconds and all that remained was a greasy plate and a happy stomach.

couldn't really describe the flavor, but here's my Deer Efficianado Magazine entry

Describe it like you were reviewing for a culinary magazine.
No, I am not joking.

Deer meat is great- ONLY if done well.
I assume Laura's brother knows how to hunt and how to prepare the steak so
I am not worried about that.

I'm curious: Does he hunt with a gun or bow and arrow?

They say Bow and arrow is the right way to go, because then the animal dies instantly, and adrenalin is not rushed through the meat- (which reduces the quality of it) like what happenes with a gun (where the deep bleeds and hears the shot prior) - Either way - you need to be excellent with shooting and aiming: then the meat is the best.
I've had some venison that was HORRIBLE (wasn't prepared right and wasn't caught right) and some that was excellent.
It all depends on how you catch it or how you prepare it (very lean mat)

NL: have you ever had a wild boar? Forest animals have a wonderful taste that they seem to have in common wether if it's a deer or a boar.

NL: have you ever had a wild boar?

%5CAUTOIMAGES%5CACLAS18lg.jpg

Deer meat is great- ONLY if done well.
I assume Laura's brother knows how to hunt and how to prepare the steak so
I am not worried about that.

I'm curious: Does he hunt with a gun or bow and arrow?

They say Bow and arrow is the right way to go, because then the animal dies instantly, and adrenalin is not rushed through the meat- (which reduces the quality of it) like what happenes with a gun (where the deep bleeds and hears the shot prior) - Either way - you need to be excellent with shooting and aiming: then the meat is the best.
I've had some venison that was HORRIBLE (wasn't prepared right and wasn't caught right) and some that was excellent.
It all depends on how you catch it or how you prepare it (very lean mat)

NL: have you ever had a wild boar? Forest animals have a wonderful taste that they seem to have in common wether if it's a deer or a boar.
he shot that one with a rifle, actually. don't know the make, model, distance, anything like that to tell you, but he does both gun and bow hunting. i'm telling you, one day he's gonna have a compound in montana. he's gonna kill all of his food and run his place off of a generator he build himself. he's gonna be kinda like leatherface.

so the locally raised steaks that I found from Ft. Worth at the Whole Foods were overpriced, so I waited until I got back to the Maryland countryside for the holidays to stop by ye ol' local butcher shoppe. Yesterday I went steak purchasing and then steak grilling and then steak eating!

5 steaks
steak1.jpg

5 steaks on 1 grill
steak2.jpg

steak with gorgonzola cheese, cooked perfectly to my liking!
steak3.jpg

I brushed them with olive oil and ground some fresh pepper onto them before grilling

and since David will ask exact specifications, I measured my steak and it was just about 1 inch thick. and they're Strip Steaks.